Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Maybe I am mistaken!

[quote=LyndaOH]You could provide squares of white for everyone attending to write their best wishes on and then make it for a future anniversary.

I love this idea :-D

Quote Originally Posted by LyndaOH
    You could provide squares of white for everyone attending to write their best wishes on and then make it for a future anniversary.

Congratulations, and try to enjoy it!
    That is what i was going to suggest. It would be awsome for their anniversary to get a quilt with all the signatures of their guests.

I asked my first to marry what kind of quilt she wanted and she said"don't bother, I'm not crazy about them" Okay. I asked the second and got lots of "wow thanks" We went fabric shopping together. I got 1/2 way through and they changed their mind about the colors...UGH! Hate them both LOL I'm not in any hurry to restart for daughter two and couldn't care less about a quilt at any time for the first. I think I'll stick to charity and friends.

you could do a simple one like lovers knot by eleanor burns. It goes together really fast. You could probably make one in a week if you worked on it every day. Its not impossible, I made a log cabin in a week for my husbands birthday when we were dating, just worked on it a little bit each day. It just depends on the pattern selected

Take lots of pictures then do a wedding quilt from the pictures. I did this for my GD. Gave it to them 2 years later.

Blog Entries
    i kind of went through the same thing back when my daughter got married- they had set a date for in a year---thought i had lots of time to help-and make a quilt
    then a few weeks later i received a call from my daughter----future son in law was being deployed to the middle east- the date was moved up- 2 months from now---all of a sudden-
    things were a whirl-wind!
    she even wanted me to make 64 little fabric bowls for tables at the reception!
    somehow (while working full time too) we all managed to pull this off!
    there was lots of drama-trauma=
    i managed to get the bowls all made-
    i managed to get the quilt top together and to a long-arm quilter=who was kind enough to move it up and get it done---and i finished the last stitches of the binding with almost an hour to spare!---the quilt was actually hung behind the bridal table on the wall at the reception-
    do what you can---remember to breath---and if you don't feel you can make a quilt- wait until after and make one for a first anniversary gift.
    it will all come together- as it's supposed to.

Blog Entries
    Their Wedding & their first quilt should be one you have time to put your heart into not just throw one together. The wedding you have a time frame the quilt doesn't.
    I would hold off on the quilt.

I got my first quilt from Magnolia this past Christmas... I have been married 32 years. For people who understand what goes into designing a quilt and constructing it understand the love poured into it. Your daughter will understand...

wedding first and enjoy gift later
    Peolpe who DON'T quilt have no idea how much time it takes so just say you will make one later
    but enjoy first

Take the months after the wedding to make a quilt for them and give it to them for their first anniversary. 6 weeks is NOT enough time to make a king size quilt even if you were not helping with the wedding and working.

elm
    Stay positive. There is enough time to help and to get the right clothes for yourself. Try to enjoy this while it's happening so you can have great memories later.
    Quote Originally Posted by deedum
    OMG, my son & his gf has decided to tied the knot in 6 weeks. 6 Weeks to help plan a wedding and all I get from people is "Are you making them a quilt?". They are surprised when I say "no"! No, I am not, I don't have time to whip up a King size quilt in 6 weeks, find something to wear, line up the cake and help plan the wedding and work!!!Luckily, they are trying to keep it fairly simple and they did asked for some of my help. Do people not realize how much time it takes to put together a quilt and a wedding. I just made her a quilt for her birthday in July! I wish I could make one, but gee. Ok, I just had to get it out there, I know people mean well.

I totally understand that one! My son came to me a week ago and asked if he could get married in our backyard!!! Of course we said yes. I am in the middle of painting scrapped ouitside windows and cleaning up my yard but would not deny that request. OIY VEY. Relax enjoy the planning everything will fall into place always does. And you can make them a quilt later one they will not care I am sure.

Blog Entries
    Give them a Gift Certificate for a king size quilt.
    With the option of pattern and fabric choice.

No way can you be expected to make a quilt in 6 weeks,
    I am doing a wedding quilt and I have more than a year advanced notice I needed that much time to hand quilt the quilt.

I once saw the most beautiful "wedding" quilt. It was made with pictures of the wedding and material from the bridesmaids dresses.
    Now, obviously, it was not made for a wedding gift at the time of the wedding, but for their anniversary!
    Enjoy being the mother of the groom and plan a quilt later.
    Congrats!

Just for reassurance, planning a wedding in 6 weeks can be done. Last year, Nov. 2, my oldest son came & said "We are getting married, and we want to do it when my brother is home at Thanksgiving." Well, it wasn't a "celebrity" wedding by any stretch, but we had a nice little wedding for them on Nov22. So take a deep breath, and make your list of things to do, and cross them off as you go.
    As far as a quilt, I agree that it would make a great first anniversary gift, or 2012 Christmas gift.

Happy Day!
    Susan

Take a 3x5 card and cut some white/muslin, whatever into 6 inch squares. Carefully center the 3x5 card and wrap the fabric around it. Tape it on the back. Then, have everyone at the wedding and reception sign a block. By taping the fabric to the back, you'll have enough area for seams and the signatures won't end up IN the seams. You can then take the signed squares and make the newlyweds a quilt from those. It's really a nice keepsake quilt. Even if you just put sashing between the blocks, it makes a really nice looking quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mzmama
    You can make them one for their first anniversary...
    Try your best to take a deep breath. It is hard to wear so many hats. People will understand you can only do so much.
    DITTO- you are only one person!

Quote Originally Posted by LyndaOH
    You could provide squares of white for everyone attending to write their best wishes on and then make it for a future anniversary.

Congratulations, and try to enjoy it!
    That's exactly what we did for my DD's wedding. They treasure it now :)

i agree, and am glad you said 'no'.....and no, non-quilters do not realize how much time, effort, and planning goes into a quilt!!.....good for you, you can always make one for them later.....

Of course you're making a quilt to celebrate their wedding. You just don't need to have a schedule for when it will be finished. Breathe. And enjoy. It's a celebration, not a chore.

You are correct when you say that people do not realize how much time goes into a quilt. They also do not realize how much cost goes in.

Try to enjoy this busy time.

Blog Entries
    Congrats on the new DIL! My DD is getting married soon. A good wedding planner is worth every cent. All I have to do is show up. LOL.
    She hasn't asked for a wedding quilt but she will when she thinks about it.

The average person has no idea what goes into making a quilt, so don't concern yourself here. It is not worth getting an ulcer over.

Make them a pair of matching pillowcases to go with the birthday quilt, and make another like quilt for their 1st anniversary.

Stop! Enjoy the wedding, including the planning, and do not feel guilty about not making a quilt for them.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast