Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Maybe someone can help..... >
  • Maybe someone can help.....

• Maybe someone can help.....

Old 10-05-2013, 04:46 PM

I draw and paint on fabric all the time. I use fabric paints & markers, regular crayons and oil crayons, acrylics with fabric medium, even painting with dyes...some techniques work much better than others. It seems like acrylics with medium result in the 'stiffest' , least comfy fabric for a quilt. I would not use canvas, because it does not wash well. I think you would have problems with the paint 'cracking' and, it would be very stiff & uncomfortable to sleep under. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by mindless; 10-05-2013 at 04:50 PM.
    Old 10-05-2013, 06:27 PM

Back when, we used to paint on t-shirts and sweatshirts with acrylic paint. They did fine for the first few washings, but eventually developed problems with cracking and peeling. Don't know if there are ones now that would be more successful over the long term or not.
    Old 10-05-2013, 07:31 PM

I would suggest Shiva oil paint sticks. There are all kinds of sites to get information about the Shiva oil sticks being used on cloth. There might be a learning curve on using them with a brush, but I can't see why it couldn't be done. This way she could do what she wants without using regular canvas (it won't combine with quilting fabrics). She needs to make sure all the sizing has been washed out of the cotton fabric first so the paint can penetrate the fabric.
    Old 10-05-2013, 07:52 PM

mom-6, did you mix the acrylic paint with fabric medium? I never had trouble with any cracking and some of mine were uniform shirts that weren't washed carefully.
    Old 10-06-2013, 03:20 AM

She could probably use acrylic paint on fabric (quilting weight fabric) then heat set it with a hot iron and a good bit of ironing. Try a sample first of course.....also, have her try Pentel's Dye Sticks which smudge and blend into lots of beautiful effects, just like pastels. AND-----they are very inexpensive. Under $5 for a box of about 15 colors. I buy them online at Dick Blick since the big crafting retailers around me don't carry them.
    Old 10-06-2013, 08:13 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I agree that she will need to reconsider her medium and paintable surface. She just needs to expand her thought process about painting. You can help her do this by showing her sites like this google images search page. https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...08.a6SxjGajqgQ
    She's going to fall in love with this!
    Also put her in touch with some books about painted quilts -- American Quilting Society can help.

Jan in VA
    Old 10-06-2013, 09:38 AM

I've washed cotton with acrylic and watercolor painting on it. I took a class where we wet the blouse, then dabbed a little watercolor in the wet areas and let it spread then dry. So essentially we had a watercolor background. Then, after it was completely dry, we painted acrylic flowers in the foreground. Granted, I don't wash it every time I turn around but it has been washed a few times when needed. I think both can be washed after they've completely dried but I'd wait at least a week or two.

Last edited by jeaninmaine; 10-06-2013 at 09:44 AM.
    Old 10-06-2013, 09:02 PM

I hand Painted a queen size quilt and used unbleached muslin. using Delta cream coat and medium to thin it. Then i heat set each block with a press rag and vinegar water, I came out nice and it is on of my fav., The pattern was full size from ARTIE SHAW, and it was Grandma and grandpa doing different things each month of the yr.. Like ice skating Jan, Cherry pie baked for grampa for feb etc. good luck............... cmaras
    Old 10-06-2013, 11:40 PM

What bout the crayon pictures. They wash.
    Old 10-07-2013, 03:47 AM

Default An alternative

I agree with everyone's recommendations...too stiff. If your friend has paintings already done and wants to incorporate some quilting with them, I did 10 totes last year for a luncheon table. I just removed the canvas from the frame and made the back of the tote with coordinating fabrics, added pockets, handle, etc. She could certainly make quilt blocks for the back and it would be a good starter quilting project showcasing both talents. I serged the inside so no lining, and just be careful when turning it inside out after making the bottom. Everyone was delighted to receive them!
    Attached Thumbnails sally-totes.jpg   100_0931.jpg