Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
McCall's Wedding Ring Quilt --Gorgeous! >

McCall's Wedding Ring Quilt --Gorgeous!

McCall's Wedding Ring Quilt --Gorgeous!

Old 04-09-2011, 05:38 AM

I am standing sideways and say it is beautiful and love to see it finished.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:41 AM

I purchased that magazine because of that pattern and one other. I just may make a double wedding ring now because that looks do-able and beautiful!
Old 04-09-2011, 05:50 AM

Looks like a beautiful quilt. One more to add to my list for my 5th lifetime.

Cynthia
Old 04-09-2011, 06:41 AM

The double wedding ring is one I definitely want to make,I will some day
Old 04-09-2011, 07:17 AM

I have always wanted to do this pattern but was intimidated, so I am starting with a table runner. I am 75% of the way through cutting the pieces. I am using a template to cut all the pieces out. Then we will see how it goes.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dee Dee
Thanks Amma. I've heard Wedding Ring quilts are quite a challenge, but beautiful. Have you made one?

Originally Posted by amma
Don't let the word curve throw you off :wink: They are not that hard to do, and these are nice wide curves, not little tiny ones :D:D:D
Check out Cheryl Phillips' wedding ring quilt . I purchased her book, that comes with templates, a few years ago and made one for my daughter. You sew the fabric together in strips, then use the arc template and cut the arcs out. It was not that difficult, but very time consuming, but I was working then, and didn't get to work on it that much. The name of the book is "Rings That Bind", by Cheryl Phillips of Phillips Fiber Arts. She lives in Colo. I'm sorry I can't give you the exact web site to get to, but I can't find my book right now. This was easy to do using her method I thought.
What ever you do if you decide to make one, no matter whose pattern you use, PREWASH all of your fabric and use the RETAYNE when you do. Ask me just how I know. I am still trying to get some of the bleed out of my daughters quilt from the first time it was washed, and believe me ALL of the fabric was washed before I cut any, but I didn't know about RETAYNE then.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:50 AM

If you're an experienced seamstress, then the double wedding ring is not difficult at all. It was one of the first quilts I made and I love it. Reminds me of one my greatgrandmother made and I slept under as a child. The curves are easier than setting in a sleeve. Just pin and go slower than you do on straight seams.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:13 PM

I am doing one at the moment and I am using calico for the background and two related fabrics from Moda. I have a book that teaches the applique method. It uses light weight iron on Vilene. You draw the arcs onto the vilene, stich the Vilene to the right side of the fabric then cut it out and turn inside out, so the sticky side is on the back of each arc. Iron into place and applique on your backing square. I must admit I have got quite fed up with the manotony and have had breaks from it by doing other things along the way. You can stitch strips together first then do the same method with the Vilene. It does look more authentic but the strips have a funny angle at the ends where they join. I quite like curves and I am very fond of Drunkards Path. Don't be afraid have a go. I think Double Wedding Ring has to be made for someone special as it is quite a project.
Good luck should you decide to make one. I'm here if I can help.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dee Dee
Have you seen the latest McCall's Quilting magazine? There is a gorgeous version of Wedding Ring blocks in a quilt called "To Have and To Hold." I have made about five quilts, but never made a quilt with curves. Info says it's an advanced level quilt. Tell me the truth girls, how hard would this be to make?
Picture at http://www.mccallsquilting.com/mccal...ve_and_to_Hold
I have made one double wedding ring quilt, and promised myself that I would never attempt another. Maybe your skills are sharper than mine, so give it a try.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:38 PM

I know that quilt must be precious to you.

Originally Posted by sassy granny
I made one 50 years ago when I was first learning to quilt. The only pattern I had was cut out of a brown paper bag that an old lady cut for me. I didn't know squat about putting a top together but I did it and it looked pretty darn good. I even put it in an old homemade quilting frame and quilted every stitch by hand bt myself. I even did the scalloped binding. I still have it, though a little worn, and really proud of it since every stitch is mine.

sassy granny