Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
McCall's Wedding Ring Quilt --Gorgeous! >

McCall's Wedding Ring Quilt --Gorgeous!

McCall's Wedding Ring Quilt --Gorgeous!

Old 04-09-2011, 06:39 PM

You are right, it is a big one! I noticed that it has 10" border. Might be able to reduce it a little with a smaller border.

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
I haven't done a double wedding ring yet, but I did a Drunkard's Path, which also has curved seaming, and didn't have any trouble at all. In fact, all the seams came out nearly perfectly matching, and I had never sewn curved pieces before. Since you have made a few quilts already, you should be ok with it. The only difficulty I see is that quilt is really big-so it will be a bit awkward to handle as it grows! I would give it a go, especially if the curved piecing is your only reservation!!
Old 04-09-2011, 10:02 PM

If you don't want curved seams at all, may I suggest a Nancy Martin pattern called Monet's Wedding Ring. Here is a link to her website. I have not done one yet, but I am planning to do so.
http://www.judymartin.com/gallery/bird.html
Old 04-09-2011, 11:12 PM

I'm making one now for my DD wedding! I don't think it is hard to do curves but takes time,there is a machine foot called Curve Master,it is rather expensive though.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dee Dee
Have you seen the latest McCall's Quilting magazine? There is a gorgeous version of Wedding Ring blocks in a quilt called "To Have and To Hold." I have made about five quilts, but never made a quilt with curves. Info says it's an advanced level quilt. Tell me the truth girls, how hard would this be to make?
Picture at http://www.mccallsquilting.com/mccal...ve_and_to_Hold
It is pretty and looks like it would be a challenge if you're up for it.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by sassy granny
I made one 50 years ago when I was first learning to quilt. The only pattern I had was cut out of a brown paper bag that an old lady cut for me. I didn't know squat about putting a top together but I did it and it looked pretty darn good. I even put it in an old homemade quilting frame and quilted every stitch by hand bt myself. I even did the scalloped binding. I still have it, though a little worn, and really proud of it since every stitch is mine.

sassy granny
I sent you a PM, to help you set up your camera to use with your computer- step by step instructions, hopefully that will help you with your pics. If you leave the one end of the cords (USB cords)plugged into your computer hard drive , then you will only have to plug in the other ends of these cords into your camera - when you want to look at or send pics utilizing your computer. One of those cords is for recharging your camera. I always leave mine plugged in over night, that way it is always fully charged.

Best of Luck.

Awaiting for your Wedding Ring quilt pics.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:20 AM

I have done the Double wedding ring quilt and it is not all that hard. Just have to take your time on doing the set in blocks connecting the rings. Go for it you will be glad you did.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:18 AM

Thanks for letting me know about the book. It sounds like an interesting method.

Originally Posted by Gerbie
Originally Posted by Dee Dee
Thanks Amma. I've heard Wedding Ring quilts are quite a challenge, but beautiful. Have you made one?

Originally Posted by amma
Don't let the word curve throw you off :wink: They are not that hard to do, and these are nice wide curves, not little tiny ones :D:D:D
Check out Cheryl Phillips' wedding ring quilt . I purchased her book, that comes with templates, a few years ago and made one for my daughter. You sew the fabric together in strips, then use the arc template and cut the arcs out. It was not that difficult, but very time consuming, but I was working then, and didn't get to work on it that much. The name of the book is "Rings That Bind", by Cheryl Phillips of Phillips Fiber Arts. She lives in Colo. I'm sorry I can't give you the exact web site to get to, but I can't find my book right now. This was easy to do using her method I thought.
What ever you do if you decide to make one, no matter whose pattern you use, PREWASH all of your fabric and use the RETAYNE when you do. Ask me just how I know. I am still trying to get some of the bleed out of my daughters quilt from the first time it was washed, and believe me ALL of the fabric was washed before I cut any, but I didn't know about RETAYNE then.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:27 PM

The McCall's Quilt is pretty but there are not alot of wedding rings so sure it is easier. I have the templates and someday will make my DWR. I think I want to make it out of 30's fabrics, not sure.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:04 PM

beautiful quilt
Old 04-10-2011, 06:31 PM

I have the AccuQuilt dies for the Double Wedding Ring so I've eliminated the problem of cutting it out!!! I don't know if I'll get to do it over Easter Break but if not...summer vacation is coming soon!!! I have always loved the traditional pattern and am bound and determined to make it.