Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
measuring fabric >

measuring fabric

measuring fabric

Old 07-20-2010, 05:55 AM

Yes, I bought batting at Joann's awhile ago and they used that machine too. However, the next time I bought it they didn't use it and I'm not sure if it was still there. I usually buy 10 yards at a time with my 40% off coupon.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

Oh boy does that bring back memories!
Old 07-20-2010, 05:59 AM

Brings back memories! - I remember the measuring gadget. As I remember they seemed to measure correctly.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:41 AM

I used one at the T. G. & Y. I worked at in HS. After snipping, we would straighten out on the table for cutting, or some ladies preferred the ripping.

Beaware, it only comes out of the machine as straight and true as it comes off the bolt from the maunfactureres.

When we measured eeons ago, we were instructed to add an inch to inch and a half more before pulling through the machine. I alway's wondered who paid for this extra measurement of fabric especially if you had 10 women buy from the same bolt. That was an extra almost foot of fabric the store was giving away. Made me wonder...
Old 07-20-2010, 06:47 AM

Oh do I remember those! That was the only way they measured fabric back in those days. I haven't seen those in ages............thanks for the memory!
Old 07-20-2010, 06:51 AM

Oh my, at the memories being stirred up......T G &Y, Ben Franklin's, J C Penny....I can remember when they sold fabric and more.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:01 AM

Isn't it odd---my local Joann's has had one of these for as long as I can remember.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:43 AM

No,they are not accurate!! When I was manager of a JoAnn store in 1973 these were installed, as well as the timed locks on the doors. Neither one of these items were accurate.
I was always in the store by seven but didn't open until nine. I would unlock and then relock the door. Being sometimes forgetful I wouldn't set the lock until 10 or later. The home office looked into this, I told them the reason, a few months later these locks were removed from all stores. Big money saver! Back to the fabric... Satin-type fabric would slide through too quickly and wools too slowly, therefore you could make out like a bandit or get cheated. Granted it did work on some fabrics.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:56 AM

I bought some yesterday at my LQS and she measured the fabric then adjusted both sides by an inch because it wasn't previously cut straight. I thought that she deserved a special thank you, so I asked her if there was a notion that she was particularly interested in, and she said that she was going to get herself, and she pointed to a ruler. Because she was so thoughtful to straighten out the "fabric" this way for me (and I purchased 6 different fabrics, she did this for all of them), I got her this ruler at checkout and had the cashier put her name on it.

I think those that are considerate and thoughtful need to be rewarded. Too many times they are not.

I wanted to thank her.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:58 AM

Haven't seen one of those in a lot of years :-D