Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Meeting etiquette >

Meeting etiquette

Meeting etiquette

Old 10-05-2018, 01:46 PM

Back to the question of how to handle overly talkative groups at meetings. Here are some reasons talking takes place.
1. The meeting has gone on too long.
2. People can’t hear.
3. The material has become boring or not relevant.
4. The teacher or leader has not brought the group along with them point by point so that some are lost, so give up.
These are just a few reasons. Perhaps this kind of analysis of your meetings is in order.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:55 PM

Our President handled it soooo good. The very first meeting she said she was going to tell us the same thing that she tells her home schoolers 'When I talk, you don't. Then - when you talk, I don't' We thought for sure that she insulted some ladies, But guess what? It worked!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-06-2018 at 04:49 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 10-05-2018, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sewgood View Post
A paint ball gun usually quiets them down...
too funny! But seriously, I think it depends on the group's intent--at a guild meeting when there are those that are chatting while the meeting is ongoing, I think it's best for the leader to politely ask for quiet as not all are able to hear above extra conversations. This would work also during a class situation when everyone is suppose to be listening for instruction. In groups like a Bible study or a sewing group, I guess I'd want the leader to ask that others got a chance to express themselves if there is someone that "hogs" the conversation. I teach exercise classes with several older women and have 2 that have "Chatty Cathy's"--I find that if I basically jump in when they take a breath and divert the conversation to another topic allowing others to talk, or even ask another participant a direct question.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:58 PM

OH my gosh! I burst out laughing!!!!
Old 10-06-2018, 04:55 AM

When we went to the Bingo Hall in AZ, they rang an old fashioned school bell to get everyone’s attention. Like on a teacher’s desk. Instant silence. If I was expecting an important call, I’d sit in the back so I could get out immediately.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
3. The material has become boring or not relevant.
Not every guild meeting program will appeal to everyone, and not every speaker is scintillating. But I think if a person attends, s/he should be polite. Leave if it's not of interest to you. Or don't come if the agenda is sent out ahead of time. But who knows? If you listen, you might just learn something!
Old 10-07-2018, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
I briefly looked at the linked thread, I think the kind/loving way is best. I also believe strongly in meetings starting on time. For some it can help that "set up and socializing starts at 9:30, class time starts promptly at 10:00". And then you have to hold firm to that. You have to plan in breaks and for the late people they have to be told that "follow the best you can with the rest of the group, and you will have to catch up at the breaks" then you move on. And then while the others are doing the steps required you can help the slow pokes. It's ok to acknowledge the late comers, smile at them and say "Class has already started, please set up quietly and I'll be with you at break".

I've taught classes before and I always do practice pieces so I know the time required, but classes always take twice as long as my solo time! (That's good for me to know and now I plan it in.) The instructor also needs to be keyed in on the class and if everyone gets it or not. If people are looking confused, it's up to the instructor to clarify it. If they are talking to each other because they are having problems, it is the instructor's problem... If they are talking quietly and non-disruptive, best to let them be but when it becomes disruptive I find it helps to say things like "Oh my goodness, I'm getting confused with all the discussions going on, where did I lose you?" and call attention to the problem without pointing fingers and casting blame.

I'm also a big believer in hand outs that spell out things very clearly and concisely, probably comes from spending most of my working career with engineers. Sure, a lot of things are very very easy to show, harder to write down. But having a class requirements list with basics on it like "This class is for beginning quilters. You should know the basic operating instructions for your machine, how to thread both top and bobbins, instructor will not be able to help with machine questions. You need the following materials (I find a list works better than a run on sentence)" etc. is vital. It's a challenge for me sometimes because all I need is a diagram of the finished product to do something and others need everything from yardage amounts and cutting instructions, reminders of the 1/4" seam allowance, and on and on. So when I write up directions I try to strike a balance from what I expect people to already know (a lot!) and being clear without being insulting.

And then everyone should know exactly what is going on. Sometimes people are under the misunderstanding that it is a discussion group and not a class -- and sometimes the leader is confused that it is a discussion and not a class

We all have different gifts and different ways of seeing things. One of my dear quilting friends is known for always being late. We could get angry, but what we've learned to do as a group is to pick her up (early) so we can get to where-ever on time and accept her arrival at small group whenever it happens. She also has a hard time following printed directions but once talked through the steps can work away for that session. If she doesn't finish she has to be talked through again the next time. It's just the way she is, but she is the nicest, kindest, sweetest person and a joy in my life even if she requires a tiny more bit of effort than some of the others.
Your comments show great understanding, especially in a tutorial setting. What I observe is a couple of ladies chatting together and not hearing the instructor, then not 'getting' that step, then interrupting the whole group to have the instructor go back to the previous step, and on and on it goes. In the few classes I've taken the leader has not 'spelled out' this dynamic, but has tried to be super patient without losing the whole class. Teaching is hard!
Old 10-07-2018, 03:52 AM

If your audience is talking vs listening, just stop talking until they notice and then proceed. Or ask if they have something they would like to share with the group.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:07 AM

I wish we were friends!
Old 10-07-2018, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Have everyone hush and eavesdrop shamelessly???
LOL, and request that the phone be put on speaker so that everyone can participate...