Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Memory quilt - freaking out >

Memory quilt - freaking out

Memory quilt - freaking out

Old 02-20-2011, 09:58 AM

I was thinking of doing the same thing for my great niece. Her mom, at 41, passed away a couple of months ago after fighting breast cancer for 9 years. My great niece is in 7th grade.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:59 AM

I was thinking of doing the same thing for my great niece. Her mom, at 41, passed away a couple of months ago after fighting breast cancer for 9 years. My great niece is in 7th grade.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:13 AM

A friend of mine and I made 4 quilts (60 x 60) out of grandpa's shirts for his grandchildren. Two were bear paws and 2 stars. On the backing we sewed the front of an intact shirt and added his nickname. Just offering another idea.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
Okay, I went away, I cried a little bit, made a nice cup of tea, and said some prayers. I'm going to go in and start cutting now. I'll post some pics later to the picture section.
....And that's how it begins...one step at a time...as you work...keep breathing with intention.....with each cut, stitch, change of needle, cleaning of lint...keep breathing....take a sip of tea and keep breathing....deep breathing will help to keep you from holding your breath and help you to relax as you breath life and love into a memory of love. More prayers will be going up in support of your labor of love as you do what's in front of you to do. Looking forward to seeing/hearing about your progress. ((((Hugs))))
Old 02-20-2011, 10:56 AM

This is ablessed thing you are doing. Just take a deep breath and get started. Instead of worrying about a mistake think of the memories it will bring for this family
Old 02-20-2011, 11:59 AM

Sit down in a quiet place and "talk" to the 'Dad'. And listen......once I get the feeling of the person....it becomes easier. Don't forget to include pockets and button plackets.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:07 PM

I finally got the memory quilt I am making for my sister off to the quilters. I went through a grieving process myself. I procrastinated, I couldn't decide on a pattern, I hated the pajamas my sister sent for me to make into a quilt, I was sorta frozen. Then I saw one on the board here that gave me an idea and I just jumped in and started. I made blocks of pictures. I made blocks of my own memories of my brother in law and I wrangled with a way to put them together. And so, I just did. No, its far from perfect, but I believe it will be an heirloom to that family. My sister is 80 and my brother in law was 86 when he passed. That was last September! They only had one daughter and two grandkids. Its more for them than her. I'll put a picture on the board when I get it back. Maybe it will inspire someone else. You are doing the right thing and you can't do anything wrong under the circumstances.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:18 PM

What a beautiful memory you will be making for him. My prayers go out to you. Once you get started you will be ok.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:53 PM

I got approached last year from a good friend in our community who lost her son in a tragic auto accident. She asked if I could make a quilt out of his clothing (probably mostly flannels & jeans as they are a farming family). His grandmother also asked if I could use some smaller pieces to make a small one for her, too. Of course I said I'd be honored to, but it does really freak me out to think about cutting everything apart and choosing a pattern. She still hasn't given me his clothes (she's still walking through the healing process), but I know that these quilts would mean so much to the families of their lost loved ones.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by redpurselady
I too am having a hard time making a quilt for my neighbor. Her son died and I have a laundry basket full of his clothes and t shirts. My problem is cutting up the pieces. I get this awful feeling everytime I cut into a t shirt or pair of pants.

I also have the problem that most of the clothes are knits. Not much cotton to work with. I don't want to use anything in the quilt that was not his so I'm kind of stuck.

Anyone have any ideas?
Use a bonding stableizer and you will have no problems. Didn't when I made 4 mem. quilts and had all kinds of stretching problems,even with a walking foot.