Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Memory quilt - freaking out >

Memory quilt - freaking out

Memory quilt - freaking out

Old 02-20-2011, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ginger
I cry as I type this. My brother-in-law passed away about 12 yrs ago now, I would give almost anything to have a memory quilt for my Hubby and 3 children. They loved him sooo much and have missed him greatly. How wonderful it would have been to give them a memory quilt. All those goofy bright western shirts he wore, and the kids teased him about. Every get together he had a new one. How great would that have been to still have those shirts in a quilt to remember every day the great time they had with him. This will be the most important quilt ever. Do it for them, they will need it. Good luck and post pics when done.
Ginger:
how about making them western theme wall hngings or lap quilts with his photo on them.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
Okay, well, freaking out might be an exaggeration, but not by much. I am making a memory quilt for the son of a friend. His dad was killed in an accident in July. I'm making the quilt out of his dad's shirts. I have the shirts. I have the pattern. I've tested the blocks. I bought backing fabric.

Now I need to get going if I want to have the quilt done in time for his birthday in March, but the box of fabrics, templates, pattern, etc is sitting there and I am procrastinating. I've cut into a few of the shirts, and made a grand total of three blocks - two pieced, one plain, of the 108 blocks that I'll need. I get very anxious because I'm afraid I'm going to mess it up and make something that will be painful to the kid and his mom instead of comforting.

I want to do this quilt. I volunteered to do this quilt. I love the idea of this quilt, but I am having a hard time just doing the cutting.

I'm not sure what I'm asking for here. I just really need to get it out, I guess.
I know exactly what you are feeling. Finished 4 small mem. quilts for a friend in FL. that passed away 2010. Got them done just before Christmas. I did like you.. I cut, waited,undecided,worrying about are they gonna like this? I know there are going to be some mistakes,what am I going to do? I posted a couple days ago the 4 of them. Yes,I had a lot of trouble with them because I didn't use a stablizer for the Tees and knits. My points were a couple threads off on a few the Blocks themselves. But After I sent them from Ga. to FL. by my youngest DD to my oldest DD house and my DD told me abt. the my friends DD's reaction. I was so,so, so glad I did them. All 4 of the owners of the Quilts are so Gratful,they don't look at the mistakes even if they can tell mistakes are there. Most of the people can't see or tell anyway. They look at the Love they had of the owner of the clothes and the love you used to make the quilt. So don't dispair just jump in and do it. I cried, screamed when I made a mistake,talked to my friend Janie, owner of the clothes, Laughed when I was doing something with whatever I was doing. It helped and told the DDs that I talked to Her. BillsBonBon
Old 02-20-2011, 06:51 AM

You are doing something that will help this family. As a Hospice nurse I have seen get a quilt made out of their loved ones clothing and they always love it and say it is like getting a hug from their loved one when they wrap up in it. Hang in there-you are helping in their healing. God Bless you.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:57 AM

Making something for someone else no matter what the reason is difficult, the fear of it not working out well is always in the back of the mind. I'm sure you'll make a quilt they will treasure forever. The aternative is they don't get a quilt at all, so just start slowly and work through it. YOU CAN DO IT!
Old 02-20-2011, 07:05 AM

I know when every I make something special for someone I care about, I think of them with love as I do it. The love, more then anything else is what this quilt will mean. I am so wanting to see the finished quilt.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:15 AM

I know how you feel. For Christmas I made each of my grandchildren a memory quilt using their Dad's pj's. I had all of your fears, but the reality is the kids immediately wrapped up in the quilts. If the person receiving the quilt isn't ready to wrap up in the memories, it will be put away for the time being, but I guarantee that the quilt will bring joy and a feeling of closeness with their Dad. Somewhere on here are the pictures of the kids and their quilts, but I'm not sure how to find it. The title is "Daddy quilts" So go ahead and start cutting, it will be OK.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-90172-1.htm
Old 02-20-2011, 07:35 AM

are you following a pattern..here is a great site for tshirt quiltshttp://www.goosetracks.com/T-ShirtQu...tructions.html
Old 02-20-2011, 07:55 AM

I too am having a hard time making a quilt for my neighbor. Her son died and I have a laundry basket full of his clothes and t shirts. My problem is cutting up the pieces. I get this awful feeling everytime I cut into a t shirt or pair of pants.

I also have the problem that most of the clothes are knits. Not much cotton to work with. I don't want to use anything in the quilt that was not his so I'm kind of stuck.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 02-20-2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by sew_sew
When my husband died at age 41, 27 years ago, I didn't quilt and had never heard of a memory quilt. I sure would have loved to have had one made of all his shirts. As it is I have one favorite one tucked away and sometimes pull it out to hug it. What a lovely thing that quilt will be for his family. I imagine the son snuggling under it.
I agree with this I would so love to have a quilt made out of my husbands shirts. He has been gone 3 years I get comfort from wearing his pajamas. Aquilt would be so much better.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:52 AM

That would be a tough quilt to make. There would be a lot of tears shed on it if it were me doing the quilting. Just remember in your heart, you wanted to do this and it is a good thing. A very good think. God Bless...