Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Memory Quilt,Quilts now for friends DDs Need help!!!

I posted a few weeks ago that I was asked to make a small quilt for the DD of a lady Who had passed away,who I wasn't super close to but considered a good friend. Such a wonderful lady. Her DD saw my pic. on FaceBook of my quilts. Wanted to know if I knew anyone who could make a quilt from Her moms Clothes. Since I really thought alot of this lady I said yes. then she ask if I could do one for her Sis. I said yes, then emailed and ask if I could do one for her Bro and Her stepdad, SIGH!!! I said yes I would do small ones. I told her what kind of material the clothes should be.Mostly cotton or blends. OK here is the problem...... I got this hugh box 2 days ago via ups... Some cotton and blends. but mostly knit shirts and Tees. Denium pants,jackets,shorts. I was going to do a nine patch. Don't see how I could. So got her on chat FB and told her I could do a crumb quilt. the differences in the thickness shouldn't be to bad. NOOOOW with the Tees in the picture, COULN'T I USE A FOUNDATION LIKE THE DRYER SHEETS on the whole quilt? I am not spending any money on this, so I don't want to go buy something, like fusible or muslim. So out there would a foundation of dryer sheets with pieces of each shirt,tee pants Work? There is even some sweats in the collection.. I have made the crazy quilt before, no embellishments, but it was cotton and cotton blends. Since she wants 4 they are going to be small say crib size or smaller, they will not be used it is just for them because they miss Her so much, would it be possible to use the denium pants legs as a binding would that be to bulky? DUUUUH!!! Help me please!!! :shock: I know there is a difference of oppinion abt. dryer sheet use. But I have used them on 2 quilts and one is 5 yrs. old no problem. I wash them in a special bag with bleach and detergent then dry them in dryer still in bag and Iron them out. Got a lot of them saved. So please give me some opinions I am starting tomorrow. Love this board just haven't been able to be a part of it for a good while just have been so busy haven't had time. working in garden, taking care of mom. moveing my youngest Back in with me!!! No comment!! :roll: :lol:
    BillsBonBon

WOW!! that small gift has reallt turned into something quite big!! I have no idea how you would incorporate all those different things. I have never used dryer sheets either . well I guess all I have to pass on is a pat on the back and good luck. sorry I can't offer more

Tell her to cough up the costs of materials. You are doing plenty! She can pay for fusing for the knits and do a crumb quilt.

Blog Entries
    make a simple rag quilt out of the denim fabrics. t-shirts are more of a problem. they will need some stablization.

Blog Entries
    Maybe attach the tshirts to the dryer sheets and do some quilting around them to keep them from stretching before putting them in the quilt?
    I would maybe use the denim as sashing or single thickness as binding and let it fray in the wash :D:D:D
    You are so sweet to take all of this on (((HUGS)))

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Maybe attach the tshirts to the dryer sheets and do some quilting around them to keep them from stretching before putting them in the quilt?
    I would maybe use the denim as sashing or single thickness as binding and let it fray in the wash :D:D:D
    You are so sweet to take all of this on (((HUGS)))
    OMG I do love this idea with the denium as a single binding and the fray!!! Thank you, That is what I am going to do for the binding and the quilting for the tees after it is on the dryer sheets gonna try that too. you will see when I post pictures. Thank you!!!
    BillsBonBon

Blog Entries
    I also would ask for the money to buy muslin, thread, etc... It wouldn't cost that much and they will have a nice quilt to love. I am on a very fixed income and if I donate all of that time and love to make something, they can help with cost.

Phew!! That's a big job. I've never used dryer sheets--I wish you luck. Maybe they should pay for any extra material, etc. that you buy. Why not?

Blog Entries
    That is the problem with being nice and doing a favor. If you need to buy things to make it work, tell her you need the cash to do so. They are getting something they want and will treasure , so they need to help out.

I've never thought of using dryer sheets. I've always thrown them away or dusted with them! :lol: :lol: Will have to keep this in mind. :thumbup:

Actually, they can afford to send me what I need and have told me to let them know what I did need and it would be sent. so money and getting things are not the problem. I just need to get them done, being I was sent clothing that is usually not used to put in a quilt without a foundation or a stableizer I just wanted to know how to use the denium and Tees. I am now doing a Block to see if what was suggested to me could work and I do believe it will. Just fast easy blocks, found one I am going to use. Going to use the tees and knits on the inside of the block and the cottons and cotton blends on the outside of the block. The demium is going to be the binding,raw edge so it can fray... I am going to glue the stretching ones, tees etc on the dryer sheet before I attach them to it, they do work and you don't have to tear them off. They stay in quilt with batting and backing. So cross you fingers, I do believe it will work...Going to make a practise block in a few min. Thanks Everyone for the input, knew I could get some good stuff from all of you out there.
    BillsBonBon

Power Poster
    You probably have had these done for a long time.

One can use t-shirt knit for binding. Treat it a lot like fabric cut on the bias. I used it once as an experiment and it worked out okay.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    You probably have had these done for a long time.

One can use t-shirt knit for binding. Treat it a lot like fabric cut on the bias. I used it once as an experiment and it worked out okay.
    Thank you Bear,Actuall I don't have it done... had to put it aside for abt 2 1/2 months due to DH sick and other problems and just couldn't do any quilting or sewing. The lady I am doing these for knows and understands. I still have 68 more blocks to do. I am doing all blocks before I make quilt tops,there are going to be 4 of them. Got the hardest ones done. Just got my world in order yesterday so in a few min. going to fix the rest of the blocks. Going to do one of them like you said if I have enough left. Thanks BillsBonBon

Blog Entries
    "I wash them in a special bag with bleach and detergent then dry them in dryer still in bag and Iron them out."
    Billsbon bon made this comment at the start of this discussion..I have never used dryer sheets (I don't have a dryer) but why do they have to be washed first.Just for interest.....

Quote Originally Posted by karen65ae
    "I wash them in a special bag with bleach and detergent then dry them in dryer still in bag and Iron them out."
    Billsbon bon made this comment at the start of this discussion..I have never used dryer sheets (I don't have a dryer) but why do they have to be washed first.Just for interest.....
    Sometimes, the softener residue is still left in sheets. If you wash them and bleach them it gets all of it out.. Some say chemicals in sheets break down material fibers.. I don't know but I have always bleached,washed them. No one that has one that I used dryer sheets on has ever complained. Also if there is any residue left and you have more than one fragrance this will take it all out. Hot iron will also pick it up when you iron them if all softener is not out. Done that one befor so I know. BillsBonBon