Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
memory quit question >

memory quit question

memory quit question

Old 12-30-2018, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
that one has caught my eye and I do really like it. But I am afraid - that is the bottom line. I am just chicken of messing up their shirts from their daddy..... but it is a very nice quilt

https://quiltville.com/smokeymtstarspf.html
Don't fear the smokey mountain stars. It is deceivingly easy. And just imagine all of those shirts blending into one quilt. Lovely.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:11 AM

Get thee to a thrift store. St. Vinnie's, Goodwill and such. Fine one more shirt that will match.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Get thee to a thrift store. St. Vinnie's, Goodwill and such. Fine one more shirt that will match.
I did think of that... because that might be a better blend in then yardage.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
Unless you intend to not repeat fabrics between the 2 projects, you are ok. I have made memory projects using about that same number of my husband's shirts plus a neutral background. So far there are 3 -38" square wall hangings, a queen sized quilt and several ornaments. AND I still have enough fabric that I could make another queen quilt with probably more left from that! These are size L and most are long sleeved shirts. Consider how much fabric is necessary to make a shirt and there's a lot of fabric available for whatever you want to make. Hint--when you are deboning those shirts and taking buttons off, I used one of those craft boxes that some use to store embroidery floss on cards and kept the buttons from each shirt together in the compartments. You've got buttons forever, too!
oh my!!! those shirts provided alot of fabric then!!
Old 12-30-2018, 07:26 AM

I have used shirt fabric in regular quilts (not memory quilts) and found that if I used a lightweight fusible interfacing, the shirt fabric behaved more like quilting fabric. Basically, the interfacing gave the shirt fabric more thickness, so it sewed like quilting fabric.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:58 AM

I just finished making pillows, rabbit's and bears out of Paw paw's shirts...for everyone plus kids for Christmas...they were a big hit!! We lost Pawpaw Nov. 1st, this year..he use to raise rabbits.. and the little greats got rabbits and bears..
have enough left for a some throws for me and my two daughters.. good luck with your projects..
Old 12-30-2018, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
I have used shirt fabric in regular quilts (not memory quilts) and found that if I used a lightweight fusible interfacing, the shirt fabric behaved more like quilting fabric. Basically, the interfacing gave the shirt fabric more thickness, so it sewed like quilting fabric.
I have been pondering this. I am glad that you mentioned that. I haven't decided yet if I will interface or not. i will probably see how the shirts feel when I cut into them
Old 12-30-2018, 01:33 PM

Have you considered using either another shirt from a thrift store? Or maybe using a solid color as an accent so you do have enough?
Old 12-30-2018, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
I was given a pile of men's shirts and asked if I could make 2 memory quilts from them. Well I found that pattern for seven shirts to make a quilt from - which is awesome.

My problem is that I have only 13 shirts.... not 14. This means that I may not be able to make both of the quilts using this pattern. (I am concerned about the size of shirts matching the pattern as well you know if I have all small shirts and the pattern uses large shirts) Not to mention that I am not sure that I have the right mix of dark shirts to light shirts to make 2 of the quilts

I can google and see lots of pictures of quilts from men's shirts, but I have no idea how many shirts were used to make them.

Does anyone here know of a pattern that is good to use on memorial quilts made from men's shirts?
Some shirts have something in front and also the arm. I use all of the above and add fabric to the small ones. I also use several of the small ones to make one square. You can do what ever you want that is what's so fun about these quilts.
Enjoy
Old 12-30-2018, 06:54 PM

One thing I learned from an antique quilt top I found, is that its ok to piece blocks if necessary. Also, you can make some striped blocks using whatever fabric you have left over.