Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Storing thread

Storing thread

How do you secure the tail end of reels of thread that have been opened?

Whilst some reels have a nick or groove that the tail end can be secured into, some don't. I generally use 1000/1300m reels. Aurilfil thread doesn't but can be pulled tightly and securely around at the bottom of the wound thread on the reel, but Glide doesn't seem to work like this and I am struggling to keep these reels tidy.

I am sure that someone must have some magic trick for this?

I use the thread nets. You can cut them to any length you need.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Thank you! I had completely forgotten that these existed.

An order has been placed and I should be tangle free very soon.

I find the nets useful for keeping smaller rulers/templates together too.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Unless Glide has changed things, both their mini cones and the large cones that hold 5000M have a ring on the bottom of the spool that pops down and back up again. You need to pop the ring down to expose the groove to wind your thread tail on to. I usually wind it about 5 or 6 times, then you pop that ring back up and hold it in place.

There are several brands that don't have that like Wonderfil threads. In those cases I use Hugo's amazing tape to secure the thread and store it. It is a stretchy tape that sticks to itself but has no adhesive.

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    Unless Glide has changed things, both their mini cones and the large cones that hold 5000M have a ring on the bottom of the spool that pops down and back up again.
    Well, who knew that? I bought Glide for the first time at a workshop a few weeks ago, no wrapping with any info, and it's not obvious is it? Thanks for the 'inside knowledge'.

When my nets arrive I was thinking I could store matching bobbins inside with the thread, as well as keeping the net over the thread while in use.

No more tangles for me now.

I use this tape to secure thread ends. You can cut it in half so it goes a long way. Another option is the small elastics used for ponytails. I put the small ones around bobbins to hold the thread ends.

I have the problem of bobbin thread ends cracked.

Plastic radiator pipe covers from Poundland (Dollar Store?) are really thin and can be cut into rings just the right width to cover the thread on the bobbin. The downside is that they are white and it's tricky to see the colour of the thread; which is why I keep them with their larger spool. I've heard of aquarium air pipe being used too, cutting the rings to open them to get them around the bobbin.

I use cheap pony tail "holders" at the bottom of the cone. I also put the cone/spool in a ziplock baggie, along with the corresponding bobbin/s.

all my thread is stored in bags, either the jewelry size that i get on sale or sandwich or larger depending on the size of the thread.

I buy inexpensive clear plastic at JoAnn's and cut it in strips that fit my various spool sizes. Once I open thread, I slip one of the strips around the outside and tape with clear tape. My thread stays clean and behaves perfectly.
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

Quote Originally Posted by Austinite View Post
    all my thread is stored in bags, either the jewelry size that i get on sale or sandwich or larger depending on the size of the thread.
    I use the sandwich bags and put bobbins of the same color in there too.

Edited to add: My spools are all in pull out drawers or in the JoAnn large plastic cases. The spools don't stand up well after you put them in the sandwich bags, plus I don't want my thread to get dust on them. I buy in bulk to save on shipping. Another thing. A couple of years ago, at the Dollar store, I bought the fluffy ponytail holders for little girls. These work great on the bobbins. The downside is you can't see the color.
    Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 12-03-2018 at 07:22 AM.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Go to your local florist and ask for their flower nets as they normally just throw them away. You can cut these whatever length you need and they won't unravel like the sock type we got years ago. I use them on all my size spools and they will stretch to whatever size I need normally.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbinalong View Post
    Thank you! I had completely forgotten that these existed.

An order has been placed and I should be tangle free very soon.
    You could also get some free nets from a florist~~ just an idea
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbinalong View Post
    How do you secure the tail end of reels of thread that have been opened?

Whilst some reels have a nick or groove that the tail end can be secured into, some don't. I generally use 1000/1300m reels. Aurilfil thread doesn't but can be pulled tightly and securely around at the bottom of the wound thread on the reel, but Glide doesn't seem to work like this and I am struggling to keep these reels tidy.

I am sure that someone must have some magic trick for this?
    I went to the dollar store and bought the elastic child ponytail holders, works like a charm, I think there are about 20 to a pack $1.00

A lot of spools of thread, the bottom can be pulled down, then wrap the excess thread around the spool bottom, and place the spool on your table and press down to close it. The aurifil thread bottom can be removed or also pulled down and again wrap around your excess of thead, then put the bottom back up to close. Guiterman thread is the same, you have to pull it down and it is quite hard at first, but it will also pull down. Those that do not have a notch in the thread, I use my small cutter, and cut a nick in the top to place in the thread.

Those bobbin threads can be pushed through one of the holes in the top or the bottom of the bobbin, if they have holes, mine does. However I don't think all spools have a hole in the casing - my janomi I just run the excess threads through and under the thread that is wrapped onto the bobbin still.
    Quilting People are the Best, Have a great sewing day!
    DonnaJ

Name:  fullsizeoutput_5f6.jpeg
Views: 732
Size:  250.8 KBI've been using these little mesh nets that garlic comes in at the grocery store. Work fine so far and they can be cut to whatever size you need. I'm such a tightwad!

I buy clear plastic storage boxes that are divided into little sections. The dividers are removable so you can make larger spaces if needed. I keep each thread spool and bobbin together in the one section. The clear plastic top makes it quick and easy to find the thread colour I want and there is no crazy unravelling of spools or bobbins. Of course, this only works with spools, not the larger cones.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
    Name:  fullsizeoutput_5f6.jpeg
Views: 732
Size:  250.8 KBI've been using these little mesh nets that garlic comes in at the grocery store. Work fine so far and they can be cut to whatever size you need. I'm such a tightwad!
    Darn it, I *knew* I should have been saving those for something! I will now!
    Singer 301 (Zsuzsi), Janome DC1050, Brother XR3140 -when did THAT happen?!

Blog Entries
    you know, long ago i tossed one of those nets that came with thread. didn't know what it was for!!

A quick postnote to this conversation.

I spotted somewhere on line that needles can be stored inside Gutermann reels. Pull out the end and you can see were they will fit. Who knew?

Was this intentionally part of the design, or did some inventive consumer start doing this?

[QUOTE=Bobbinalong;8179993]A quick postnote to this conversation.

I spotted somewhere on line that needles can be stored inside Gutermann reels. Pull out the end and you can see were they will fit. Who knew?

Was this intentionally part of the design, or did some inventive consumer start doing this? QUOTE

I haven't heard this but will share a couple of thoughts regarding needles. Do the needles fit securely in the spool? That might work but I wouldn't want a needle to fall out.

I store needle packs in one of the Art-Bin boxes. They can be adjusted and the small packs will stack right in the dividers. Easy to see needle size/type. The box I use has 18 slots.

Used needles go into a container with lid.

Hope that helps!

JoAnn's has several thicknesses of clear vinyl -- I buy the thinnest and cut it with a ruler and rotary cutter to fit around the various thread spools and cones that I have. It sticks to itself so I don't have to tape it. I like the nets, but the vinyl is cheaper since 1/2 yd goes a very long way.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Just today I was watching a The Quilt Show video and the guy said he used Press and Seal wrap around his thread to keep the tail safe.