Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Men quilting in prison >

Men quilting in prison

Men quilting in prison

Old 09-07-2021, 03:44 AM
Power Poster

I am a volunteer at the Mabel Bassett C C in McLoud, OK. It is for women. They have a quilting program.
Old 09-07-2021, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Rehab happens in so many different ways. Like seeing our men folk who need skills and a way to be creative find one way through fabric an a sewing machine. We know it is a forever skill that can lead to a better life out side the walls of a correctional facility. .
QUOTEI didn't need rehab and I've never been to prison, but for me the appeal of CREATING is what drives me to continue . Sounds like some of the inmates have caught the same bug. (Yes, I have totally woken up in the middle of the night thinking about a project)
Old 09-10-2021, 05:26 AM

Quilting therapy in reality! This may be a specialized group in a difficult environment but it works! I hope they take on a charity project for another groups after all the foster kids in Texas County get theirs.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:41 PM

There was indeed a quilting program at the GEO Prison in Hobbs, NM. That was several years ago. My understanding is that it stopped when a new warden arrived on the scene.