Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Met the quilt police >

Met the quilt police

Met the quilt police

Old 10-28-2010, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN
For me, its the ones that always say "Let me see the back" then they "Hmmmmmmmph". Really makes me angry
yikes! talk about harshing your buzz!!! :shock:
Old 10-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mrspete
Well if it is that pretty, it should be framed and put on a prominent wall OR in a drawer! Shoot, lay it out on the first table available for compilments!
oh, mrspete...what a pretty picture of you! ;)
Old 10-28-2010, 05:34 PM

Maybe her family is very sloppy!
Old 10-28-2010, 05:36 PM

Perhaps she thought your topper was beautiful and wanted the beauty of it preserved? A high form of compliment? Anyhow, never knew one could cover a topper ... lol Me, I don't mind the "memory" stains.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by kriscraft99
I make chenille baby bibs, and I hear all of the time "they are too pretty to get dirty"...

they are bibs!

My Mother always gave baby quilts away and she would get so mad when the Mother wouldn't use them because the baby might get it dirty. All of the quilts she made for my daughter were used and still are being used :)

Remember the couches that had vinyl covering in the 70's an 80's??? soooooo funny...

to each their own I guess??

I vote for using them :)
i was wondering if u would share your baby bib pattern or am I allowed to ask that? My nephews wife just had a baby and I would dearly love to make them some, /thanks, Wendy
Old 10-28-2010, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by grammiepamie
didn't I read here a long time ago, about the extra piece of fabric sewn on the top of quilts, so drool didn't get on the quilts?
Actually, that extra piece of material was to protect the quilt from getting worn from a man's beard. Easier to replace the beard protector then the quilt. I'm thinking about doing that for the quilt I have on our bed!!
Old 10-28-2010, 06:15 PM

Actually covering it as she told you will over time compromise the conservation of this beautiful table topper. So boo to her...
Old 10-28-2010, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by clair
does'nt that just get you . I have a friend,she has a long arm business and when anyone brings her a quilt the first thing she does is look for the scant qt inch. I won't take her any more of my quilts to quilt cause it really ticks me . All i want to do is scream "hey who made you seam allowance queen " my I feel better -ha
Amen sistah!
Old 10-28-2010, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mattee
So, there I was, taking a class. I had almost completed my table topper, when a classmate asked me how I was going to cover it. "What do you mean, cover it?" I asked.

Her: "You know, so it won't get food on it."

"But it's a table topper. It's going to get food on it," I responded.

Her: "Exactly. You need to cover it in vinyl or a laminate to protect it.

Me: "No, I want it antiqued."

I was actually shocked. I must admit that the thought never crossed my mind to cover the table topper. I figured that in 80 years (I'm being optimistic), when I'm dead and gone, and my descendants are using the aforementioned table-topper (again, my optimism), it will be like an archaeology exercise. There will be evidence of past meals that can be sifted through. "Look, Great-grandma Mattee must have LOVED ketchup!"

Anyway, I won't cover it. I understand completely why some people would. What I don't understand is that this woman seemed truly appalled that I choose not to. I mean really, it is MY project, right?

Anyone else have experience with classmates being appalled at your quilting behavior?
But we don't cover placemats, do we? At least I don't. I have a washing machine for taking care of ketchup, mustard, etc. If it doesn't come out, oh well, too bad.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:36 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by mommamac
kinda like putting plastic covers on your living room furniture!
Took the words right out of my ... mouth?
What are we saving these things for, our kids? Who will only mess them all up anyhow. 8-)