Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Method of adding a narrow accent flange >

Method of adding a narrow accent flange

Method of adding a narrow accent flange

Old 08-05-2017, 08:51 PM

I'm not allowed to post a link to it. And no, it's nothing like the one posted above, it's much simpler and easier, IMO.

The way I do it: cut 2 strips of fabric, different colors, one about 1/4" wider than the other. Sew the strips together lengthwise, fold it with the raw edges together. This will make one of the colors fold over to the other side, this will be your flange. As with regular binding, align the raw edges of the binding with the raw edges of the quilt, and sew. Then fold the binding over the edge and machine stitch on the front, right in the ditch of the flange.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:53 AM

Here is a link to the one I use for a faux piped binding. It works great every time.

http://tlcstitches.blogspot.com/2010...-tutorial.html
Old 08-06-2017, 02:59 AM

Default Magic flange

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Here is another very simple tutorial from the MSQC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAQWwwAa2K0
Flange and binding are sewn to the quilt in one step - no fiddling with narrow flange.

Here's another same idea. Life changing.
http://www.52quilts.com/2012/05/tues...c-binding.html
Old 08-06-2017, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I'm not allowed to post a link to it. And no, it's nothing like the one posted above, it's much simpler and easier, IMO.

The way I do it: cut 2 strips of fabric, different colors, one about 1/4" wider than the other. Sew the strips together lengthwise, fold it with the raw edges together. This will make one of the colors fold over to the other side, this will be your flange. As with regular binding, align the raw edges of the binding with the raw edges of the quilt, and sew. Then fold the binding over the edge and machine stitch on the front, right in the ditch of the flange.
I have used the method that you have shown here too.
I think it is the same method as Kitsie's link to youtube, above?

Totally weird as to why not ... being that there have been so many others posted here for the same. *sigh*

Thanks! Great photo and mini-tutorial .... and looks like a really nice quilt, too!

Last edited by QuiltE; 08-06-2017 at 05:48 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post

I have done this, but it's nice to know which fabric will be going around the quilt and which will be making the flange. It is the wider fabric that makes the flange, and the narrower fabric goes over the edge of the quilt to the back. The rest of the flange fabric is underneath so you can't see it.
When you sew it onto the back, you will see only the flange fabric. Then it gets tipped to the front and most of that flange fabric is hidden.

Last edited by maviskw; 08-06-2017 at 05:50 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
if you are doing the flange next to the binding, here is a popular tut here on the qb Quick Machine Binding with Flange
This is the method I use.
The only difference is I like to use a 2 1/4" binding so I cut my binding 1 1/4" and my flange 1 1/2". Ann
Old 08-06-2017, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
Welcome to the Quilting Board from Texas. Hope you enjoy it here.

Here's a good tutorial on how to add a flange. Hope this helps.

http://thecraftyquilter.com/2012/03/...to-your-quilt/
I just signed up for her blog the other day. I really like it.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:04 AM

I apply it left/right and then top/bottom. This is when I put it around the body of the top before adding a border. I use 2 pieces of fabric when doing a faux flanged binding and apply it like a single fabric binding.

Last edited by MarleneC; 08-06-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:15 AM

This is how a do a faux flanged binding.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:38 AM

Ooh, I like that one, too! Good pictures.