Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Millefiori revisited >

Millefiori revisited

Millefiori revisited

Old 06-28-2019, 09:47 PM

Default Millefiori revisited

I know I’m years late coming to this party. I was watching Diane Kirkhart on The Quilt Show, she did Millefiori 3 ways, EPP, machine pieced and Inklingo. As I watched the Inklingo part, she prints the lines on the fabric then rotary cuts them apart. Well, I have a Scan-N-Cut, it could draw the stitch lines and cut the pieces apart, This seams great so I look for a tutorial and don’t find anything, not even a mention on a blog. So I continue thinking about how to do the repeat cuts and think about my die cutter. I could have 2 custom dies made, one for fabric and one for papers. Then pin match the 6 repeats of fabric, cut the into the appropriate die sizes, and the repeats would have the same affect as an OBW or 4PP. I think this again sounds good and go look for any reference to anyone doing this but find nothing. So what is wrong with my 2 ideas? Why hasn’t this been done? I haven’t bought the book until I’m sure I want to do this, but I think both ideas would make this more enjoyable for me. What do you all think?
Old 06-28-2019, 11:23 PM
Power Poster

This may - or may not - be a proper response to your question .

When I do hand- piecing, I make two templates for each shape. One is to cut around, and the smaller shape is to draw the stitching lines around.

As far as using a die cutter to get " exact" matches, I think it might be hard to get the pieces lined up precisely the same. But I do not have one, so really do not know if that is so or not.

Last edited by bearisgray; 06-28-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:43 AM

There are software programs that can convert a drawing to the svg format for the scan n cut to use, but the ones I have seen are pricey.....I haven't looked into it that much, but isn't there a way to use your computer to import a design right into the scan n cut? Another possibility is to ask someone who already has a program to do one for you for a fee.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

I found lots of references to using the ScanNCut for cutting out the papers for EPP, and Accuquilt makes dies specifically for EPP. Others have used AccuQuilt for OBW (see Paper Princess's explanation here - One Block Wonder?). You may not find a tutorial for exactly what you want, but it looks very feasible.