Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mindless, Mindless, Mindless  S & C >

Mindless, Mindless, Mindless S & C

Mindless, Mindless, Mindless S & C

Old 09-28-2010, 09:49 PM

One of my friends always gives me her scraps or scraps she has collected from some of her friends. I love to use them for applique.I put vleisofix on the back and cut out the shapes with my sizzix machine. Consequently, I have boxes of cut shapes at hand if I ever make a quick quilt - especially for children. In return, I collect recipes for my friend as she loves reading through them all and then cooking up the ones which take her fancy.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad
I really admire you folks who can do the scraps and crumbs like this. I use scraps, but find I am very regimented when positioning fabric. I have a hard time thinking assymetrical whether I'm working within the block or within the quilt, and yet I could see the meandering "streets" in the quilt blocks. Even setting up table displays I tend to be symmetrical. Guess I'm not an unbalanced person! LOL
I love Kaye Wood's expression of how some of her patterns can be converted for the 'pointless people' so that they don't have to worry about matching their points. There's room for all of us. I'm always referred to as the scrappy one as I am a scrooge when it comes to throwing out fabric...
Old 09-29-2010, 04:28 AM

I've loved watching this project grow - can't wait to see the finished quilt.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:57 AM
Power Poster

Great quilts! Love how you have used up scraps and crumbs! :)
Old 09-29-2010, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf
I love my scraps and crumps, as you all know from the mindless stuff I post lol. Crumps, being a word I learned here on this board lol. I assumed the crumbs were the tiny bits that you couldn't call a scrap and which I dont' throw away anymore.

One of my darling friends, knowing of my fetish, dumped some of her scraps and crumbs here. I keep the scraps from different friends seperated, as their stuff is unique to them. I can look at one of my scrap quilts and know exactly who is in them...yes, sometimes I do add and compine but mostly it is from the one person about 75%.

Because of certain circumstances, I have the need to do mindless right now, so all other started projects, that require some thought are on hold. It is nothing too serious, just some things that happen and are normal.

So here I am with my S & C (scraps and Crumps). I sewed into the wee hours of the morning as I could not sleep and was feeling quite energetic and excited at the prospect of creating something from nothing.

This is what I started with and I will call this heap Elaine.

I sorted the heap into HST (tiny), squares, long pieces etc. At that moment, I didn't have a clue what I was going to do.

Then I had it neatly piled by the sewing machine. Remember, I am not even thinking, I am just sewing here and there and I am feeling very joyful just doing that.

I knew my brain would kick in eventually as it knows what I like. It is a funny thing, you know?

I started to sew all the HST together, all sizes. Then I sewed a long sting of strips and they were going every which way but the mind was saying, " keep goiing". The strip was long and curving and etc.
Rosy a good name for this quilt would be "Mindless"
Old 09-29-2010, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by lclang
I had lots of leftover pieces of pinks and greens and a rose print. Made all the small rail fence blocks I could, starting with dark greens and darker pinks and the rose print. As I ran out of those I used the next lighter color and continued. When I put it together I put all the darks in one corner and then gradually added the lighter ones and then the lightest ones. When I got it all together I thought it was too long and narrow so I added an appliqued border up one side and then put a dark green border all around. My very favorite quilt to date!
I would love to see a picture of this. Sounds so pretty. You guys amaze me with your talent to work with such small pieces
Old 09-29-2010, 06:49 AM
Banned

I can't wait to see what it will look like. God bless.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:49 AM

That's going to be awesome! Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

wow, so inspirational!!!!
Old 09-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

wow, so inspirational