Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Minky Fabric Made Me Feel Inadequate >

Minky Fabric Made Me Feel Inadequate

Minky Fabric Made Me Feel Inadequate

Old 02-14-2012, 06:05 AM

Minky is a challenge even for a competent sewer. I put the pieces in the dryer on air fluff to get rid of at least some of the fuzz because of the mess it makes on the machine. Use lots of pins........Good luck. N
Old 02-14-2012, 06:26 AM

Glad to hear other have a problem with Minky. I have a love hate relationship with it. I love how soft it is but hate cutting and sewing it. LOL
Old 02-14-2012, 07:00 AM

Oh dear, I am getting ready to use Minkee as a backing. At least I am forewarned!
Old 02-14-2012, 07:05 AM

I have used it for tag blankets too. I use a walking foot and have found this to be a life saver! Good luck!!
Old 02-14-2012, 07:41 AM

I used it once for backing on a toddler quilt. Did it as a turn inside out because was not going to bind those edges. From my experinece clothes sewing, I used a ball point needle with a stretch stitch and pinned and sewed slowly, making sure the edges matched all along. A lot of work.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:06 AM

Just finished putting Minky (at least a Minky knock-off from JoAnn's) on the back of a scrappy quilt for our family room. I used a spray adhesive (505), and layered it on my design board, which is basically batting mounted on a board on one wall of my sewing room. I had no trouble with it, I'm not sure if it's because of the spray adhesive, but it quilted up like a charm with no ripples at all. I also did a baby quilt for my grandson, layering it the same way, and had no problems. I hope I'm not making this sound like a "what's wrong with you?" type thing, because I'm trying to encourage you with trying other ways of layering. I think that's the key. Oh, and of course you would need to use a walking foot, but I'm sure you were already doing that. But I don't think there's any way around the fuzz everywhere!
Attached Thumbnails resized-photo.jpg   smaller.jpg  

Last edited by patricej; 02-15-2012 at 02:00 AM. Reason: adding photo; per member request.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:41 AM

I made a baby blanket 7 years ago and used Minky for the backing. I don't recall having any problems with it. I don't remember why? I was thinking of doing some more baby quilts with it on the back but now I am not sure. Several people in my quilt class which meets today have made quilts with minky as backing and as squares. I will ask them what they used . If it stretches so much I can't imagine how one would keep a square straight. So now you all have me curious and I am going to ask them. Our instructor made a huge queen size quilt with Minky as the back......I wonder what she did to keep it so straight. I'll let you all know what they say.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:50 AM

I made pj's for 8 grandkids a few years ago with the stuff, and I love and hate it. It was great for the kids, who also loved it, except for the one who sleeps "hot" and couldn't sleep in it. It can be a challenge, but worth it; I think.
Judy
Old 02-14-2012, 09:05 AM

Used Minky once, never again.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:53 AM

I once made a very small bear with Minky. I hated the material and I admire you for doing a quilt. I ended up sewing the bear by hand. Is this an option for you?