Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
MIssouri Star Long arm quilting services >

MIssouri Star Long arm quilting services

MIssouri Star Long arm quilting services

Old 01-05-2016, 06:20 AM

Default MIssouri Star Long arm quilting services

Has anyone ever used the LAQ services offered through Missouri Star Quilting Company? I am not looking to get custom done just an overall quilt pattern. I have had a hard time finding a local LAQ here in small-town AZ. I saw on Missouri Star's website that their prices are very reasonable, they provide batting and their turnaround is 4-6 weeks. Locally I have found someone who charges almost double and the turnaround is 2+ months. Only reservation I have is shipping my quilts through the mail but according to Jenny Doan, they have never had a quilt get lost. Should I risk it?
Old 01-05-2016, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

I believe I saw at least one post here and the quilter was delighted with what they did.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t264828.html
Old 01-05-2016, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

I send a lot to MSQC for all over quilting. I have not been disappointed at all.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:16 AM

My husband and I visited their quilting shop. Lots of machines set up and in use, all in one very large open room. It's actually the entire building, I think it was a library or something like that originally. It does mean if someone has issues, they've got several others they can immediately consult. We talked with one of the quilters, and she seemed very competent and knowledgeable. The main thing is that you can easily communicate what you want via email.

I'd feel very comfortable to send them a top for all over quilting, and it's a real plus that you can purchase batting and backing from them at the same time.

Last edited by Macybaby; 01-05-2016 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

I've shipped lots of quilts over the years, successfully. Put the quilt in a plastic bag ( in case the carton gets rained on) with your address and the address of where it is going included inside the package. Place in carton it fits in well. Tape up well. Send priority mail with insurance and deliver confirmation.
I work hard to maintain my 2 week turn around and many of my customers are long distance. So far in 12 years we've not lost a quilt. ( knock on wood).
Old 01-05-2016, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I believe I saw at least one post here and the quilter was delighted with what they did.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t264828.html
That was me. I sent them 4 others after that one. A couple of suggestions: I would ask that they do NOT trim the quilt. Two of my quilts did not have borders and they cut off my seam allowance. If you have a border I would suggest making it slightly wider than you really want it, if you plan on having them trim the quilt. I will also, in future, stick to simpler quilting designs, such as the one on the quilt in the link. It was hard for me to visualize what the design would look like on the quilt from the small pics on their site, and one of the designs I picked was just too compact for my taste. YMMV. But, in the whole, I was pleased. They ship via the US post service, the package is insured, and they require a signature on delivery.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

I have seen nothing but good reviews.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:12 PM

This is great to know. I have tried to find one locally and for a quilt that was 70in. x 70 in. and they wanted $350.00 to start and I was supplying the batting and the backing. I didn't want anything special, but they charge $35.00 an hour with a min. of 10 hours. That is just too rich for my blood. Ended up doing it myself.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by indycat32 View Post
That was me. It was hard for me to visualize what the design would look like on the quilt from the small pics on their site, and one of the designs I picked was just too compact for my taste. YMMV. But, in .
You can click on those small pics and a screen will pop up that is a little larger. What does YMMV mean?
Old 01-05-2016, 12:47 PM

YMMV the letters mean Your Mileage May Vary.