Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mitered corners in binding >

Mitered corners in binding

Mitered corners in binding

Old 04-14-2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
Here's a link to ALL her free youtube videos:
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...nschamber&aq=f

You know, when the SSnetwork first came out a few years ago, they were charging a really high crazy price (I can't remember exactly but I think it was over $200 for a semester's membership) for access to specialized videos and lessons. And the site had problems - it was taking hours to download stuff, etc.

I think the technical problems have been fixed.

But now. after viewing all her freebies available on youtube, and really, really being able to take and learn from them - and see immediate results in my own work - I would consider the paid lessons when I get a bit more free time. NAYY.

And if you ever get a chance to see one of her quilts in person - grab it. Even if you have to drive a few hours out of your way to the museum in Paducah. The pictures - which are fabulous - don't even begin to convey the amazing, complex, never-ending details she puts on her quilts.

I'm glad the binding videos were helpful to you. ;-)
liked the videos for mitered corners, the best instructions I've seen. Boy typing is the pits for me I'm going through cataract removal surgeries, can't let it keep me off the computer ,so hope you can read what I want to say :thumbup:
Old 04-14-2011, 09:55 AM

Hey thanks for the address. I ended up spending a lot of time looking at other videos as well.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Blackberry
I am having trouble getting a nice mitered corner in the binding. Every time I always get a little dip in the end of the corner of the miter instead of a nice square corner. What am I doing wrong. I have watched videos and do just like they say but I still get this dip in the corner instead of a nice flat square.
One tip I learned from another guild member that works every time for me is that when you fold your corners (for the mitre) make sure that your backing mitre is folded in the opposite direction from the front mitre.

If the front mitre folds to the left, the back mitre should fold to the right.

I hope I'm expressing this clearly!
Old 04-14-2011, 12:38 PM

Great video, very easy, yet thorough. Didn't know I didn't know so much about bindings! Thanks for the link!
Old 04-14-2011, 01:22 PM

One time my corner is perfect...then next time it's horrible Drives me crazy cause I'm really fussy about the miter. Last night I watched Sharon Shaumbers video and think I have a tip from her that will solve my problem. She presses in a 45 degree angle on the binding when she reaches the corner and then when she stitches to the corner, she stops when the needle hits the pressed line, then she pivots and sews off the quilt. The rest I do like she does so I hope my problem is that where I stop stitching isn't a perfect measure. It's worth looking at, although she spends more time with Elmer's than I would be willing to do.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:04 PM

my question is. does she wash all that glue out???
Old 04-14-2011, 03:35 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by vickimc
my question is. does she wash all that glue out???
It's Elmer's washable glue, so it all comes out in the washing, and doesn't (and hasn't for me) cause any damage to the fabric.

I actually didn't even use the washable version, just the regular Elmer's, and I probably put it on a bit thicker the first time than Sharon typically does because I didn't have the super thin nozzle thingie at the time.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:07 PM

[quote=MTS]Did you watch Sharon Schamber's video's - because, really, they're the ones that count. Here's part 1 of 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PE0Yq9iGlc

Wow cool tute. Sounds like a lot of work, but the finished work would be worth it. I always have trouble with binding, going to give this method a try
Old 04-15-2011, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Blackberry
I am having trouble getting a nice mitered corner in the binding. Every time I always get a little dip in the end of the corner of the miter instead of a nice square corner. What am I doing wrong. I have watched videos and do just like they say but I still get this dip in the corner instead of a nice flat square.
After trying to describe over and over how I do it, I finally just watched the tute from Ms Schambler. I couldn't say it better, she's right on regarding the corners! And although I don't use glue, I think I'll try her way on the next community quilt that I do
Old 04-15-2011, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by cbuchanan
One time my corner is perfect...then next time it's horrible Drives me crazy cause I'm really fussy about the miter. Last night I watched Sharon Shaumbers video and think I have a tip from her that will solve my problem. She presses in a 45 degree angle on the binding when she reaches the corner and then when she stitches to the corner, she stops when the needle hits the pressed line, then she pivots and sews off the quilt. The rest I do like she does so I hope my problem is that where I stop stitching isn't a perfect measure. It's worth looking at, although she spends more time with Elmer's than I would be willing to do.
I think the secret to avoiding the ears at the corners is being the smallest bit scant when the binding is folded down going around to the next side. Leave a scant 1/8" of the quilt peeking out from behind the binding fabric's fold. If there is any extra fabric at all at the corners it's gotta go somewhere, so it pooks out