Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: mixing batiks with other quilting fabric?

I'm interested in doing a Mariner's compass medallion for the center of a bed quilt, but don't know what kind of blocks I'll do for the rest of the quilt. I want to do the compass in batiks but not sure I want a whole bed quilt made of batiks.

Do you mix batiks with other fabrics in a quilt, or not? Do you have any photo examples of mixing the fabrics? I'd love to see them. Or any suggestions for other quilt block patterns to make up the rest of the quilt, I'd love to hear about or see them. (I really don't want to paper piece the whole quilt, just the compass! :-D )

The colors of batik are so wonderful that after you do the center medallion you will not want to use another type of fabric!! I have two king size quilts made entirely of batik and they are gorgeous!! However, if you want to add another fabric go for it - it's your quilt. If the quilt police show up just tell them to take a hike.

I'd love to see photos of your quilts, Ardelle. I need a king size quilt for my bed.

Blog Entries
    You sure can mix them with other cottons :D:D:D

You can mix anyway that pleases you.
    I have mixed and had good results.

These are not the best pictures, but you will get the idea. The heart quilt if from a book from Australia - I can probably find the name of the book if you want. The second is called Transitions made from Bali Pops from Hoffman - the pattern is from Cozy Quilts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ardelle, Love those quilts, colors everything!!

Mix away. I have done so many times!

Blog Entries
    :lol: Love your colors Adele. Needless to say, both quilts are gorgeous. My kind of color explosions. What size are the squares on the heart quilt? Is it closely quilted to be a bedspread?

Lovely quilts, Ardelle. I really love batik fabrics.

I guess I'll have to make a decision on what block pattern to use before thinking about fabric for the rest of the quilt. Maybe I'll start with the compass and worry about the rest later!

I am making a twin quilt for my son soon and plan on mixing batiks and regular fabric for his quilt. I am thinking mariners compass for the middle and 4 seaside stars on the corners with some other large fabric squares in between. just have to play around with arrangement. I will take a pic of a quilt top that I am just about done with that mixes calicos, solids and batiks. it is a hunter star pattern. here is a link to a site that I am getting the seaside star from. Have already started another quilt with just the seaside star.
    http://www.jinnybeyer.com/block-a-we...cfm?blockid=46
    I hope this helps.

this is the three seaside stars i have so far
    Name:  Attachment-110947.jpe
Views: 301
Size:  55.1 KB

The squares are 10 1/2" I took the quilt to the quilt shop in Coos Bay to be quilted - I asked for it to be stippled with variegated thread - I had a friend pick it up for me and when I opened it it was quilted "sorta"in the ditch with light gray thread. I almost fainted. I spent an entire winter taking the quilting out and hand quilting it. So I am just using it as a spread. Live and learn!

Kas
    I do it all the time. Here are a couple that were class auction projects for my kids' school and one for my oldest son.

His leaf. The kids did the embroidery or big quilting stitches on the leaves.
    Name:  Attachment-111080.jpe
Views: 181
Size:  51.8 KB

Laura Dennison pattern called "Boomerang" I made for my oldest son.
    Name:  Attachment-111081.jpe
Views: 261
Size:  82.7 KB

Detail of the purple batik I wish I had more of.
    Name:  Attachment-111083.jpe
Views: 179
Size:  49.7 KB

Daughter's kindergarden class project. Those are the kids' hand prints.
    Name:  Attachment-111085.jpe
Views: 170
Size:  54.0 KB

Second child's 4th grade class project. He isn't in this pic.
    Name:  Attachment-111087.jpe
Views: 179
Size:  66.0 KB

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kas
    I do it all the time. Here are a couple that were class auction projects for my kids' school and one for my oldest son.
    Great quilts!

Love your seaside stars and the hunter star quilt, sahm. Thank you for the link to Jinny Beyer's free patterns. I might make some of those seaside stars to incorporate into my quilt, too.

Kas, I love the leaf quilt and the boomerang. Boy, so many patterns to choose from out there. Thanks for sharing yours.

I have made a quilt with the mariners compass as the center motif and used a quarter section of the compass for each corner. I used three of the colors in the compass for borders. Hope this helps you.

I have made all batik quilts, and I have mixed them with other fabrics. I do it all the time; sometimes only the binding may be a batik.
    No rules, and no quilt police.

Banned
    Of course you can mix. HOWEVER, I try to pick other fabrics that will retain the overall look which batiks give the quilt. There are many printed fabrics with the hand dyed look or blenders that work well with Batiks.

Blog Entries
    In my avatar quilt, I used batiks for the sun and some of the 1/2 sq triangles and used 100% cotton for the others. I mix the two all the time, but be careful of fabric bleeding, especially if you don't prewash ( I never do ).

I made a quilt for my dad I used a lot of batiks in it but I also used a lot of other fabrics those however were mostly blender types. Once it's all together its hard to tell which are the batiks and which are not.

Using blenders is a good idea--I'll keep that in mind, Kristen. I like your handiwork, too. And I just realized, looking at your quilt, that the inspiration for the New York Beauty blocks comes from the Statue of Liberty's crown!

Kas
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcia_PA
    Using blenders is a good idea--I'll keep that in mind, Kristen. I like your handiwork, too. And I just realized, looking at your quilt, that the inspiration for the New York Beauty blocks comes from the Statue of Liberty's crown!
    I had never thought of that, either! It is very obvious in your beautiful quilt, Kristen. What a lucky Daddy!

OM GOSH! I didn't realize that. I kept thinking what made them think of naming this block New York Beauty - Ok dumb blond alert LOL :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Kas
    I had never thought of that, either! It is very obvious in your beautiful quilt, Kristen. What a lucky Daddy!
    Thanks. I had a fun time with that quilt and could hardly wait to give it to him. I am not very good at surprises either receiving them or giving them. The wait was worth it in the end he totally love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardelle Coult
    The squares are 10 1/2" I took the quilt to the quilt shop in Coos Bay to be quilted - I asked for it to be stippled with variegated thread - I had a friend pick it up for me and when I opened it it was quilted "sorta"in the ditch with light gray thread. I almost fainted. I spent an entire winter taking the quilting out and hand quilting it. So I am just using it as a spread. Live and learn!
    Oh, that's just awful!! :shock: I might've been inclined to have the LA'er remove all those stitches. Didn't this LA'er have some sort of work order or something where you stipulated exactly what you wished to have her do to your quilt?