Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Moan, groan, why did I ever say I'd do this? >

Moan, groan, why did I ever say I'd do this?

Moan, groan, why did I ever say I'd do this?

Old 09-04-2014, 02:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​If anything can go wrong on a quilt, it will go wrong on one for someone else. Sorry you are trapped in a quilting nightmare!
I totally agree. I have had that happen before.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:11 AM

I have a project that was supposed to be a Christmas gift last year for my granddaughters but I had so many problems with it that I put it in a box and closed the lid - couldn't stand to look at it anymore! It's still in the closed box and I'm trying to work up the courage to see if I can salvage it for a gift for this Christmas. Ugh....
Old 09-04-2014, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

I don't know a lot about LA use but seems the quilt wasn't loaded right on the frame. Sorry you had to feel so upset about your work. It's hard to overcome that feeling.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:30 AM

Cathy, sorry that you've had such a negative experience quilting this quilt. You've learned a lot from this one project. Thanks for sharing your experiences. It clearly is very important to evenly wind quilts onto the frames.

Next year it will be someone else's experience; making a raffle quilt!
Old 09-04-2014, 05:29 AM

Wow, what a struggle. I understand the experience, seems like I can work on quilts and enjoy the experience, the work flows and all is well. As soon as I am making a quilt for a particular person things start to go wrong. Love to make quilts but I do not volunteer to make for anyone specifically.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:10 AM

Sounds so familiar. My guild asked me to do the program and publicity for the quilt show. I told them no, and told them no, and they kept saying, "Oh, we'll give you lots of help." Of course, the help was minimal, and I was not the person for the job, just as I told them. The project lasted for months, up until the quilt show, with the people in charge acting very put out with me as I repeatedly reported my lack of progress, due to several things, one of which was my daughter having a baby. It ended up with lots of hard feelings, and I never again felt comfortable going to that guild's meetings. I have moved to another town now, but don't really want to join a guild here. I never felt guilty about it, because I had been honest with the people. I just feel sad that it all happened. I, too, should have said no and stuck to my guns.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

I do a lot for my guild but know when to say no to guild or anyone. I say I don't want to do that and I don't offer any reason or excuse why. That stops all pleading or urging on. I do not like the guild to ask for free stuff for fundraisers. I voiced my opinion about that too. Since I have said I don't like it many more have spoken up too. Now we fund our own fundraisers and do get some donations but we don't ask for them. If a person can't afford to help fund the guild at times with time or money, then really why be a member and let others do it all.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:36 AM

[QUOTE=cathyvv;6871663]My guild asked me to quilt a raffle quilt. I had huge misgivings, didn't really want to do it, but grudgingly said ok.

I hope it makes your guild lots of money!
Old 09-04-2014, 09:44 AM

I hate it when everything seems to go wrong! Isn't there an Army saying that goes something like, "Don't volunteer?"
Old 09-04-2014, 09:59 AM

Always, Always listen to your gut!
Think NAVY......
Never
Again
Volunteer
Yourself