Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Moda layer cakes:  NOT 10" & NOT square! >

Moda layer cakes: NOT 10" & NOT square!

Moda layer cakes: NOT 10" & NOT square!

Old 10-19-2012, 11:05 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

That's horrible. Don't they use one of those expensive cutting dye machines to cut them? They should be perfect! I would complain, even if I had already cut them. I would gather all the pieces and return them and look through the rest of them with a measuring tape and see if I could find one that was 10" exactly. Also, I would google Moda's phone number and call them directly and complain. Tell them how you wasted time cutting them. Make them understand how wrong it is that they are not 10" exactly. Aren't they like $29.95? That's a lot of money to buy pre-cuts that are cut wrong. Especially when they are cut too small.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
That's horrible. Don't they use one of those expensive cutting dye machines to cut them? They should be perfect! I would complain, even if I had already cut them. I would gather all the pieces and return them and look through the rest of them with a measuring tape and see if I could find one that was 10" exactly. Also, I would google Moda's phone number and call them directly and complain. Tell them how you wasted time cutting them. Make them understand how wrong it is that they are not 10" exactly. Aren't they like $29.95? That's a lot of money to buy pre-cuts that are cut wrong. Especially when they are cut too small.
Moda layer cakes are more like $34 - 39.95!!! I would definately complain!!
Old 10-19-2012, 04:08 PM

I just purchased 40 pre cut 10 x10 called Bali Crackers by Hoffman
on the tag it says cut by hand slight variations may occur
guess this gets them off the hook if they don`t measure 10
whats with calling these crackers?thought they were layer cakes or that just a moda thing
nothing like confusing us lol
Gale
Old 10-19-2012, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by grma33 View Post
I just purchased 40 pre cut 10 x10 called Bali Crackers by Hoffman
on the tag it says cut by hand slight variations may occur
guess this gets them off the hook if they don`t measure 10
whats with calling these crackers?thought they were layer cakes or that just a moda thing
nothing like confusing us lol
Gale
I think Moda has the market on the pre-cut names as we know them: Charm Pack, Layer Cake, Honey Bun, Jelly Roll. Most of the time when another manufacture is producing these items, they will give them a different name. I have seen Dessert Squares and Robert Kaufman calls their jelly rolls "Roll Ups"
Old 10-21-2012, 04:21 PM

Wow! That would really be upsetting! I just bought a layer cake (Moda) a few weeks ago; I'm going to check right now. Totally unacceptable; we are already paying a premium price per yard for that convenience and then to be shorted too yet??!! NOT......it would be better to be 10 1/2 and at least cut it down but not 9 3/8". Definitely return to store AND complain to MODA. that is not what we expect from them.

Originally Posted by katkat1946 View Post
Is anyone else having this problem???? I have a layer cake of Kansas Troubles. Most are measuring 9 7/8 x 9 1/2". I just found one at 9 3/8. Since I am using these to cut 5" squares, this is really significant! What a pain to have to square them all up - correct that to DOWN - to 9 1/2" Even if I were using these whole, they'd still have to be squared. What's up????? I'm going to take a couple of pictures and send them to Moda. These are too costly for this. I could handle it if they were at least square!
Old 10-21-2012, 04:28 PM

How luxurious it would be to buy 10" squares that were truly that. I only bought them once, and planned a pattern that involved cutting the squares up.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:08 AM

This is one of the main reasons I don't buy precuts, along with the cost. I'd rather buy my own fabric and do my own cutting.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:54 AM

I've had the charm packs be off slightly and wonky quite often.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:27 PM

Thanks for the heads up on this. I have always prized Moda as a standard in the quilt fabric industry. I read recently that the Bali Pops precuts don't claim to be perfect because they are precut by Bali locals to provide jobs for individuals. Have never tried them. At least they admit to the size issue.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by katkat1946 View Post
Is anyone else having this problem???? I have a layer cake of Kansas Troubles. Most are measuring 9 7/8 x 9 1/2". I just found one at 9 3/8. Since I am using these to cut 5" squares, this is really significant! What a pain to have to square them all up - correct that to DOWN - to 9 1/2" Even if I were using these whole, they'd still have to be squared. What's up????? I'm going to take a couple of pictures and send them to Moda. These are too costly for this. I could handle it if they were at least square!
Sooooooooooooooooooo did you contact Moda and what did they say ????