Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Moda layer cakes:  NOT 10" & NOT square! >

Moda layer cakes: NOT 10" & NOT square!

Moda layer cakes: NOT 10" & NOT square!

Old 10-23-2012, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

I recently had a jelly roll that wasn't a consistent 2.5" so I understand your pain.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
This is one of the main reasons I don't buy precuts, along with the cost. I'd rather buy my own fabric and do my own cutting.
My thoughts precisely! Besides the cost of pre-cuts, I don't mind cutting my own. I just stack a few folded fabrics I want at a time, put a new blade in my rotary cutter, straighten one edge, then cut 5 or 10" strips, and cross cur them to size. Goes quick and I know they are accurate and a fraction of the cost. I can use up scraps and strips this way at no additional cost.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill View Post
My thoughts precisely! Besides the cost of pre-cuts, I don't mind cutting my own. I just stack a few folded fabrics I want at a time, put a new blade in my rotary cutter, straighten one edge, then cut 5 or 10" strips, and cross cur them to size. Goes quick and I know they are accurate and a fraction of the cost. I can use up scraps and strips this way at no additional cost.
I like this idea! There are usually fabrics in the packs that I don't care for so I don't tend to buy them. Although, I do have two jelly rolls I bought on sale a while back that I haven't used yet. Now I know now to check first.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by pinkcastle View Post
I like this idea! There are usually fabrics in the packs that I don't care for so I don't tend to buy them. Although, I do have two jelly rolls I bought on sale a while back that I haven't used yet. Now I know now to check first.
I received a couple of jelly rolls as part of a swap a whole ago and didn't use them until recently. I sewed part of the strips from one roll together and made a really cute purse with a coordinated bottom and lining, then had enough of that left for another purse with a different style. I still have a bit of that left, plus another roll of different color way which I will also make into totes and bags. A little goes a long way. The seams were pinked, and using them this way, it didn't matter if they were a bit off. Still, I wouldn't have purchased them, preferring to cut my own. I didn't think the fabrics in those rolls were really my taste, but made up in the bags, I LOVE them!!
Old 10-23-2012, 12:48 PM

All the above complaints is why I dont buy pre cuts!
Old 10-24-2012, 03:29 AM

Default Update on Moda Layer Cake - NOT square & NOT 10"

I took pictures of several of the squares and included them in an email to Moda. As many of you have said, I too have always loved Moda lines and even buy Moda on-ine with great confidence without getting to see and touch the fabric. In my letter I took pains to tell them all of that but also explained the huge variation in size and lack of squareness of any of them. After posting my gripe here and before writing to Moda I rechecked the few squares I hadn't cut (preparing for a retreat) and began to wonder if I'd prewashed them. So I also told Moda this was a possibility but if so that I could be sure they were washed on delicate and placed in a mesh bag. Maybe 10" could shrink to 9 7/8 but they were mostly 9 1/2" wide and very skewed when lined up with the grids on my cutting mat. I said that I didn't want anything more than a personal response to the issue as I didn't feel it was likely that I would purchase any more pre-cuts. I'll try to insert a photo below.
Moda responded right away and I'd like to share the gracious response I received:
Thank you for taking the time to write with your concerns about your recent Moda purchase. It is very, very unusual for our precut items to be incorrectly cut. I will definitely forward your information to the Fabric Development Department for their review. It is very helpful to know this happened so that we can inform our mills to be careful with the precuts.
Pre-washing the pieces does shrink them a tiny bit. We suggest that you not wash the precut items before sewing. Since Moda fabrics have such a small shrinkage, it will not make a difference in your quilt. I feel you would be fine to still purchase the precut items but not wash them before using them.
We would like to send you a layer cake as a thank you for writing with your concerns. However, we ship UPS and cannot ship to a PO Box. If you can send me your information, I will get the gift shipped to you. As I will be leaving on October 25 and not returning until November 6, it will be a few weeks before I can ship it.

Thank you again!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]372084[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc00775.jpg  
Old 10-24-2012, 03:34 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Now that's what I call Customer Service! and it was good of you to 'fess up, but if there is so little shrinkage in their fabric, where did the half-inch go? I've loved using their precuts, so I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

Old 10-24-2012, 08:46 AM

yes, this good customer service - I complained to AccuQuilt Go cutter that the 5" square was not cutting right (only used this once before, cut fabric for a senior member of my group, never complained it wasn't even) their answer to me was I probably damaged it - produce the receipt and if less that a year old, they will replace it. Now tell me, how many of you save all your receipts?? I would need another room in my house to store these paper receipts for every item I buy. The power or purchasing on line, I can find where and when I purchased the unit but not the dies, which is about 1 1/2 years ago. Needless to say, I didn't have my receipt, probably purchased this die at Joann's, so now I have a die that doesn't work, back to cutting by hand.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:55 AM

I save all my receipts, and when I need one, I have a hard time finding it but I do find it at the bottom of the pile.