Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Modern Quilting Board >

Modern Quilting Board

Modern Quilting Board

Old 11-15-2017, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

A modern quilt guild started up near me, so I joined, and I enjoy the group a lot. I'd say the average age in this guild is much lower than the average age of the other guilds I've joined, but there are also members of my ancient generation. The younger members seem not to have been exposed to the traditional quilting world, so everything is new to them, and they tend to think that everything in modern quilts was invented by the modern quilt movement. At one meeting several people were talking enthusiastically about improvisational piecing, so at the next meeting I took in a vintage top, probably from the 1960's or 1970's, that used improvisational piecing, just to show that it's nothing new. I do like the quilts that these people produce, often using solids, simple piecing, and lots of negative space. As a longarm quilter (not professional), I love all that negative space, provided it's well quilted. I think it's wonderful that the modern quilt movement has resulted in so many younger people starting to quilt. It doesn't even bother me when they think they invented it, LOL.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:05 PM

Hello Eisy! I agree with some previous comments-- use a thread on the 'Main' forum, and talk about the modern quilting theme as much as you like. You don't really need a specific 'modern' forum on Quilting Board, just a thread. As long as people keep posting to a thread and talk about quilting in it, it should continue to be available on Quilting Board. Maybe you could invite your modern quilting friends to post on this thread and share ideas, tips, photos, and projects here.

Or is it that you want a different web site that has modern/better graphics, and/or technical saavy? There are other platforms, like Craftsy, Etsy, Facebook, Flickr, Pinterest, etc. that are more 'up-to-date' than this site, where you can find a modern quilting audience and/or ideas. Maybe that's what you are looking for?
Old 11-15-2017, 05:41 PM

Why don't we just use this thread.

I have made several quilts from the Modern Quilt Studio, http://www.modernquiltstudio.com/. I like their patterns and kits.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:17 PM

I’d love to learn more about modern quilting. I wasn’t sure about it at first, but I’m really beginning to like it.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:20 PM
Power Poster

The modern quilt look grows on one! Although I decorate with more traditional colors and patterns, I enjoy experimenting with smaller quilts and miniatures. The overall design of any quilt takes into perspective all art principles. Yes would be fun to have a section on this new dimension of quilting!
Old 11-16-2017, 12:05 AM

https://www.themodernquiltguild.com/

The link will take you to the Modern Quilt Guild. Lots of information there. I am a $$ member, I am not sure what maybe available for free.

Also there are many MQG's on the web. You can find them on Facebook, Instagram etc.

Then there are various blogs for modern quilters.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:30 AM

The only guild I belong to is the Tulsa Modern Quilt Guild. There is a whole lot of study/thought about what makes a quilt "modern". There is an excellent national Modern Quilt Guild and they have a definition on their website:
Modern quilt characteristics are but not limited to: use of bold colors and prints, high contrast and graphic areas of solid color, improvisational piecing, minimalism, expansive negative space, and alternate grid work. Modern Traditionalism, or the updating of classic quilt design is aLso seen as modern quilting.
The annual QuiltCon show is a great show of spectacular modern quilting. There is a huge amount on the web, and most modern quilting guilds have websites for you to browse.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
This thread got me thinking. To me modern quilts are geometric designs, lots of negetive space and generally stark color contrast. But then I thought, nope that's the old style Amish quilts! So I don't know!
i think difference between modern and Amish is - Amish use traditional block patterns, traditional hand quilted patterns that compliment the blocks/or quilt,and modern is just pieces of a traditional block sewn most of the time in unconventional pattern, so to speak, ways or free form pieces, with lots of negative spaces and very tight machine quilting...at least most that I have seen..that's my personal definition, anyway.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:40 AM

check on facebook it might be there.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:40 AM

Here's a link to the Modern Quilt Guild

https://www.themodernquiltguild.com/

It has lots of resources and would probably answer most of your questions.