Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Money$$$ spent on hooby quilting - how do you account for it??? >

Money$$$ spent on hooby quilting - how do you account for it???

Money$$$ spent on hooby quilting - how do you account for it???

Old 01-05-2012, 12:24 PM

I teach piano lessons after my full time teaching job - working 13 hour days 4 days a week - and a nine hour day on Friday. I dedicate one student's fee per month to quilting - that's $80. If I didn't have a limit I'd go absolutely crazy and the number of times I fill a cart at an online store - then sadly delete it - is higher than I can count! Yes, some months I spend more than that, but some I spend less. I have a self-imposed limit of $40 per quilt top, $15 per total table runner... so sales, sales, sales! That's for lap quilts. The few larger quilts I've made were for special gifts for special people so ... they don't count!
Old 01-05-2012, 12:34 PM

i am only about two years into this new hobby, brought about by my husband needing upholstery for his classic car. the second year expenses go way down. I was able to credit the new sewing machine to my husbands car,lol so he was not too upset over the expense, and it has given me great joy! I have sewn off and on for my entire life, so had alot of the tools needed for quilting, and mostly have spent on building stash. I also spend to keep my mom in material as she is on a very fixed budget, and can rarely get new material unless it is purchased for her. Hopefully my stash is large enough when it is time for me to retire, to only have to pick up a little at a time. until then, I pick up what I need and will accasionally allow myself to add to my stash, usually about every two months. I have 4 quilts worth of material picked out and ready(just picked up the final pieces of material for 3 yesterday) so between the full time job, and normal chores I should be good to go until summer! I tend to wait for the perfect color or pattern, so a quilt may take me several months to find the perfect material for. Between the everday stuff and the extra time I have to spend on other emergencies, I dont need to worry about keeping a budget. thaqt may all change when I retire in another 15 years!
Old 01-05-2012, 12:40 PM

I spend what I want when I want, obviously if I don't have it, I don't spend it. I would die if I ever added it all up. Maybe you would be better off not keeping the receipts. Since when were we supposed to add up what it costs for our hobbies, never heard of that before.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:46 PM

I hate think how much i have spent, but , years ago went i spit up with my husband was about have nervesbreak down i start sew God gave peace, being sew ever sent
Old 01-05-2012, 12:48 PM

Oh...don't do it <wince>
I took up quilting when I quit smoking so I justify the cost. However, this year i'm placing a moritorium on fabric purchases.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by char634w View Post
I don't have a budget, I have a full time job and I buy what I want. Occasionally I feel a little guilty about my fabric stash, or my machines and tools but I have learned to live with the guilt (haha) and enjoy it. Life is so short and quilting makes me so happy and my husband appreciates beautiful quilts and good quality tools so he never says anything. He has always said that it is better to buy the best quality that you can afford so that is what I do. I do shop the sales for the better stuff and that always makes me feel good too. Sometimes I rationalize my purchases and say that I am buying for retirement because I won't have as much money then but I wonder if I am trying to fool myself - doesn't matter because I love everything about it. I could be spending $ on worse vises so I honestly don't feel that guilty. Quilts are beautiful and functional so I think it is all $ well spent regardless of how much.

I soooo agree. My stash rivals my LQS and I don't have one ounce of guilt. I'm retired now and I quilt to my heart's content. I make large numbers of charity quilts each month as well as a few commissioned pieces a year. It keeps my mind sharp and my spirit free.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by char634w View Post
I don't have a budget, I have a full time job and I buy what I want. Occasionally I feel a little guilty about my fabric stash, or my machines and tools but I have learned to live with the guilt (haha) and enjoy it. Life is so short and quilting makes me so happy and my husband appreciates beautiful quilts and good quality tools so he never says anything. He has always said that it is better to buy the best quality that you can afford so that is what I do. I do shop the sales for the better stuff and that always makes me feel good too. Sometimes I rationalize my purchases and say that I am buying for retirement because I won't have as much money then but I wonder if I am trying to fool myself - doesn't matter because I love everything about it. I could be spending $ on worse vises so I honestly don't feel that guilty. Quilts are beautiful and functional so I think it is all $ well spent regardless of how much.
Ditto, I could not have said it better. I never feel guilty about buying a new quilting tool - my husband loves tools and encourages me to buy the best. I have built up quite a stash too, and love having fabric on hand so I am not rushing to the LQS every time I need fabric. I do keep track of all of my personal expenses in quickbooks, so I could look and see what I've spent, but I don't really want to
Old 01-05-2012, 01:00 PM

I might add that I did give up my afternoon jaunt to the local coffee shop for my daily iced americano when I bought my new Pfaff sewing machine. It was a decision I made on my own and it made me feel better about the was I was spending our money.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:01 PM

Buy when I can, don't if I can't, I'm building my retirement stash.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:11 PM

I put a price tag on my hobby this way: 3 yards fabric, thread, batting, backing - $XX; hours spent washing, ironing fabrics, cutting, sewing - 3 days' worth of salaried position; 'cursing', lack of sleep, etc - think of how much you'd spend with a psychiatrist; the smile and hugs you'd get from the recipient - PRICELESS.
I have already purchased all the gadgets and tools necessary for quilting, and have also bought a quilting frame and a brand new sewing machine. Since I am presently on medical leave and nearing retirement, I do watch how much I spend on fabrics. I search bargain both online and at my LQS, and unless I get a request for specific fabrics I go for the bargain stuff, not the cheap ones, but items like 'discontinued' or end of the bolt pieces.