Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
more bargello advice please! >

more bargello advice please!

more bargello advice please!

Old 04-18-2015, 10:11 AM

Default more bargello advice please!

I'm not ready to cut my strip sets into strips yet, but I have concerns over that part so I thought I might as well ask now and then I'll be prepared :-)
So I have 40 different fabrics cut into strips and they're mostly stitched into their sets (5 sets of 8 fabrics). I'm doing the surf song pattern(ish) so its fairly simple. Each strip finishes at 2 inches, so if I were to join every single fabric together, it would total 80 inches in length. Once sewn into a tube it would be 40 inches, which is way bigger than my cutting mat and rulers. So, do I fold the tube in half so that it will fit on my cutting mat or will that result in wobbly cutting if I'm not careful? Or, do I keep the 5 sets separate for the cutting so that there aren't too many layers to shift around and join them after the cut?
What you do?
Old 04-18-2015, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

I have always done my sets in group like you do and just cut from the strips as I need them. I never sew them into a giant tube because you can't see the fabric underneath. Just be sure to have plenty of labels to put on the strips to get them sewn in the proper order. When I was working on Eileen's Island Sunset quilt, this was a photo I took.
Attached Thumbnails sunset-layout.jpg  
Old 04-18-2015, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

I also keep my strip sets as strips and use many post-it flags to keep everything organized
Old 04-18-2015, 12:21 PM

I am working on Surf Song by Eileen Wright, however, I only have 20 fabrics to a strip set. I pressed each set and then folded in half (or actually folded right sides together so the fold seam would lay flat) to cut my slices then I sew my slices in a tube. I would not sew a tube and then cut.

It works better for "me" if I only cut a few slices at a time and join them then cut a few more, join them, etc. I check off a row once cut and also pin the row # to each (as mentioned above). I wasn't as consistent as I thought w/my seam allowances and quickly discovered my squares didn't come together well when matching seams. So BEFORE you "slice", recheck to ensure your stripes are consistent within each set.

Have fun!

P.S. I'm using the wall hanging pattern but adding rows on each side for more width and cut my strip sets 1/2" wider to get enough length for a lap size quilt.

Last edited by Sharonquilts; 04-18-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:22 PM

Sounds good to me! Thanks :-) I'll seek out some post its before I start on the cutting!
Old 04-19-2015, 06:22 AM

Just finished a bargello quilt with strips 80 inches long. I did fold them up to a size to fit my ruler. I was very careful to keep them straight so no elbows were made from cutting. It was a chore but I got it done. Think I'll doing it in sets next time. Less stress on my part.....:-)