Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
More Bargello advice, please.... >

More Bargello advice, please....

More Bargello advice, please....

Old 04-02-2014, 09:28 AM

Default More Bargello advice, please....

Okay, I have made several Bargello quilts recently and I have gotten good advice from you folks. Well, I am seeking advice again.

I have sort of jumped into this quilt and I like what I have so far. The picture is of 1/4 of the quilt, and I can't decide if I should continue the pattern down or start back up. Now, I haven't even cut out the fabric for the rest of the quilt yet, so I can't "play with it" which is what I will do when I get there, but I am seeking opinions from those of you who can visualize how a quilt will turn out. (I am not one who can do that...sure wish I could.)

I am not following a pattern, just sort of making it up as I go. I have learned a few things already, as I learn from every quilt. The main thing I have learned is that Bargello quilts have an even number of strips for a reason. I have 21 fabrics here, and I am committed to them, but here on after, I will always go with an even number. (makes ironing seam direction more reasonable)

Okay, here is my top so far....yes, it is going to be big, but I want it to fit my bed. I took one picture without my quilt inspector, so look at that one, but my quilt inspector is certainly trying to decide why this quilt is so skinny, so I am including his picture too. He is always pretty helpful.

So, do I start my design back up or go down, what do you think??

Thanks,
Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001785.jpg   s8001787.jpg  
Old 04-02-2014, 09:36 AM

I've never done a Bargello, but up seems the right way to me. It's pretty so far! I see the inspector is contemplating the next move too.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:44 AM

First, I really like your fabric choices....a very smooth transition from cream to brown. Since you are kind of winging it, I would take a few colored pencils or markers and draw on paper a few different patterns. That way you can put the ups and downs in various places that you think will look good...a swoop up here or a down there. This will give you a truly unique bargello as well as one that suits you to a T.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:24 AM

Not sure where you should go next but LOVE your color choices
Old 04-02-2014, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
First, I really like your fabric choices....a very smooth transition from cream to brown. Since you are kind of winging it, I would take a few colored pencils or markers and draw on paper a few different patterns. That way you can put the ups and downs in various places that you think will look good...a swoop up here or a down there. This will give you a truly unique bargello as well as one that suits you to a T.

Thanks, this is good advice. I am off to play with my graph paper and colored pencils.

Dina
Old 04-02-2014, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

I love the colors and I am betting it turns out beautiful. Sorry I haven't made one.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:22 PM

Agree with the suggestion made.

Also, I think you need to applique a likeness of your cat into the quilt. His/her greys and whites really sets things off ;-).
Old 04-02-2014, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

it looks like your kitty thinks it is the red carpet! Nice arrangement of colours. I don't have any ideas for the next direction but it is going to be pretty.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:31 PM

I think I would go down...and then up again. Your colors are wonderful!! I can't wait to see pictures of the finished quilt.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by WandaVA View Post
I think I would go down...and then up again. Your colors are wonderful!! I can't wait to see pictures of the finished quilt.
Thanks, this is what I was thinking. Just starting to cut fabric for rest of the quilt now. I hadn't cut it earlier, just in case it didn't look good when I got this far. Then I would have just stopped. Not stopping though.

Dina