Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
more cleaning than creating >

more cleaning than creating

more cleaning than creating

Old 11-25-2010, 08:09 PM

I find that when I become obsessive about straightening up or cleaning up it is because I can't make a decision about what to do next. Usually by the time I straighten up I make a decision about what I want to do. Also, it is my way of keeping track of what I have. Otherwise, I forget what I have and buy more "stuff". Good luck!
Old 11-25-2010, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by np3
Originally Posted by seamstome
Dont drag anymore stuff in and you will only have to clean and straighten from the work you do.
You're kidding, right?
THAT is the funniest comment I have seen!!!!!
I SOOOOOOOOOOOO Agree with you! LOL!!!!

:mrgreen:
Old 11-25-2010, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I work well in a messy room. I just make higher piles.
I agree!! Any flat surface in my room gets stuff stacked on top of it. Then I have to shift stuff to cut, move stuff to iron, restack stuff to find the fabric that got buried. But, I like it like that, cause I keep doing it. I tried to straighten up once and found I couldn't find anything. I work well in my creative chaos!!
Old 11-25-2010, 08:33 PM

I totaly agree about the sewing pit being such a mess that by the time I get it straitened up I'm either to tired or out of time to work on any quilting projects. Would love to have some good useable ideas on how to organize a small room without having to spend fabic money on organizing tools that may or may not work for me.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:43 PM

Well, I'm with you all too. My room has be named the "wreck room" because it is usually a wreck. It has piles everywhere. I spent 3 days this last week reorganizing my stash so I could gather my wits to choose the fabrics I wanted for a "block". We are having a BOM in my quilt group & I was to bring my choice for a Nov. block with sample and catch up on the two I still hadn't gotten made. So I had to audition fabric & have it coordinate with the blocks already made. Least wise that was the plan but now it looks like I may remake some to go better with these latest blocks which I like best. And yes, since then I have drug some more fabric in & have it stacked on my desk & I need to clean/straighten up again. And it goes on...on...on and on.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:03 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

I do the same thing with cooking. I have to clean the entire kitchen and have everything organized before I can cook or bake. By the time I do that, my window of opportunity is gone. Sewing - exactly the same.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by mar32428
Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am
let me know when a real solution arises 4 u--maybe it will work 4 me 2! i sure would like to look w/o seeing....hmmmmm
Have you noticed? No matter how big our sewing area/room is, we always manage to fill it to the walls and then some. I just knew when I moved into my BIG room with all my storage cabinets/drawers etc., I wouldn't have the mess anymore. My problem.......when I'm working on a project, I pull everything out I want to look at but don't put the unused away. Is that a wonky in my brain?
If it is.....then I've got it too. It seems that everytime I clear off a table top or clean up an area, I tend to plop things down there and the cycle begins again.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:29 AM

My solution - position the sewing table facing AWAY from the storage area of your room. Now gather up the materials you'll need for your project, positioning them near your machine and sew away. Careful now, DON'T TURN AROUND UNTIL YOUR PROJECT IS FINISHED:>). After you sold a few of your sewing projects, hire someone to come in and clean up your sewing room. I don't remember reading the in Quilter Manual that The Quilter had to do the cleaning.
Blessings to all
Janet
Old 11-26-2010, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am
Originally Posted by amandasgramma
It'll NEVER be right...NEVER. There is NO solution.........because, you see, the GREMLINS come in and mess it up.....no matter how often you clean or when you clean, they're watching. When they see you turn your back, they mess it up!!!! Oh, but they ARE nice -- you see, at my house, the gremlins always bring in new fabric...no, I don't buy it...the gremlins do!!! just wish they'd quit using my checking account!!!!!!!!! ;)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :thumbup:
you got gremlins, i got the little people~~
I LOVE gremlins and little people.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:26 PM

my sewing room is every thing else too, computer, ironing,dolls, books,dollhouse, painting,and anything else that will fit in smallest bedroom my DH used wire cubes you bild bought bens to put in them the best thing is i look toward the ceiling and see the 29 candy hearts he bought me one for each year all around the room so i am surrounded with his love