Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Most likely getting a Kenmore Machine - Reviews? >

Most likely getting a Kenmore Machine - Reviews?

Most likely getting a Kenmore Machine - Reviews?

Old 03-07-2010, 08:11 AM

I am most likely going to get a Kenmore machine today at Sears, I heard they are made by Bernina, so they are very comparable. I am looking at getting this one:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...sewing+machine

I'd love to hear any opinions on it if anyone has one. My current machine (a Singer, bought 3 years ago) is literally taped together since I have dropped it one too many times, so anything is a step up right now. My price range is about $300, so this seems like the best choice out there for that price. I am really looking forward to the needle down feature on it mostly!!!

Cheers!
Rachel
Old 03-07-2010, 08:25 AM

That is very similar to my machine which I bought about 8+ years ago (?). I love, love, love it. Never had a problem (knock on wood). I almost bought a Janome (for twice what the Kenmore cost) with the exact same features. I think you will be pleased with your choice. Have fun with it.
Double check the needle down position because on mine I have to push a button every time I want the needle down, it doesn't automatically stop in the down position which is what I thought it would do.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:29 AM

Kenmores are not made by Bernina. Some Kenmores are made by Janome. Many people are happy with their Kenmores. But, Berninas are Swiss made and Janomes are Japanese. Kenmores are very reliable machines, and can be returned to Sears if you are unhappy with machine within 30 days. Berninas are only sold through Bernina stores/representatives. I hope that this information helps you out. If I am incorrect on this, please someone jump in and correct me. Happy new machine...always a lot of fun to get a new sewing machine!
Old 03-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

I found out all the Kenmore brands are made by White who makes Janome and Brother and some others. I have sewn on the high end Kenmore and it was a dream to use. You can't beat the price for the features offered. I probably will buy a Kenmore my next new machine. I don't want to have thousands invested in a sewing machine I'll have to use for years and not get a new one when I wanted it.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:57 AM

I tell people the very least you want on a "quilting" sewing machine is needle up/needle down and this machine has that at a very reasonable price.

I don't know for sure but I would guess this machine is made by Janome. It sure looks a lot like the Janome's. I am a big advacate of Janome's and I sewed on a Kenmore for many years and loves it, too.

Barb
Old 03-07-2010, 08:57 AM

I have used that machine many times. A friend of mine owns it and I was teaching her to quilt using that machine. I really like it. Is simple enough and if I remember correctly, it even comes with a walking foot and a darning foot.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:58 AM

my actual favorite machine....I have an old 1978 that still goes and a computer machine that I love. They are so reliable. Our guild teaches 8th graders to make quilts and the old kenmores are the only ones the kids can't break, literally. LOL The new plastic ones just don't last.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by ctquilter
That is very similar to my machine which I bought about 8+ years ago (?). I love, love, love it. Never had a problem (knock on wood). I almost bought a Janome (for twice what the Kenmore cost) with the exact same features. I think you will be pleased with your choice. Have fun with it.
Double check the needle down position because on mine I have to push a button every time I want the needle down, it doesn't automatically stop in the down position which is what I thought it would do.
I think all machines stop in the needle up position unless you push the button and then they stop in the needle down position.

If this is not true, someone tell us different.

Barb
Old 03-07-2010, 09:02 AM

I have a kenmore, I bought several years ago and love it. I had one I got in 1981 and used it until it was damaged after the flood we had in 97. It was moved for clean up, and someone damaged it. It was an accident, but I missed my machine. So I bought another one, and it is working great. I also have a singer for the specialty stiches, but find myself using the Kenmore more.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:04 AM

I learned on a Kenmore many moons ago. Never any problems with the machine.