Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Most useful features of a sewing machine to U?

Quote Originally Posted by MinnieKat
    I love the walking foot on my Pfaff.
    I do too MinnieKat. I have an old Pfaff 1222E and its my favorite for piecing quilt blocks. All the layers feed evenly and all my quilt blocks come out right.
    I have a fancy Viking 875 Sapphire with all the bells and whistles, its the one I use for machine quilting.(10"throat).

I have a Brother Innovis 1200 and I love the fact that I have a needle threader, automatic tie off and it cuts the thread at the end as well.

Elle

needle threader that really works and the cut at a touch of a button are my favs getting hard to thread needle late at night

Needle up-needle down and "hands free" are my 2 favorites.

Oh yeah, I also love my needle up/down feature. It's perfect for keeping your pieces in place when turning corners or making any adjustments and you don't want to loose your place. Great feature!!!

I have been spoiled to the automatic cutting and tie-off on the back on my little cheap Brother 270D that I bought about 5 years ago. It is my travel machine and I would like to upgrade it to a better quality machine with the above features. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, I'm not wanting to spend a lot on my travel upgrade as I have a nice Janome 4900QC at home.

Is yours the 6000i that is advertised on Walmart & Amazon's web site? I found it for $147 yesterday.

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The 2 most importand features on a sewing machine are:
    1. Needle up/needle down
    2. Ability to move needle position to right or left in very tiny increments. This way you can get that perfect 1/4" seam or the scant 1/4" seam easily.

Anything else is second to these 2.

Blog Entries
    Lady Diana

I drag my 6600P to workshops as I am so spoiled that even my original baby, the Janome Memory Craft 3000, doesn't work as well! Since I am a firm believer that you should use only 1 machine on a project from start to finish, I lug the 6600P around.

Blog Entries
    Hey, Friends

Several of you have been mentioning the needle threader feature on your machine. I can't make mine work worth beans. I have a serger threader designed for threading the loopers on a serger, but it works GREAT on threading a regular machine needle. I insert it inthe eye of the needed from the BACK. I put the thread in the loop and pull it to the back. Amazing.

I use my Brother 6000 as a travel machine. It weighs less than 10#, is computerized, has every stitch you can imagine, comes with a walking foot, travel case and costs under $200. It is an amazing machine and I love it as much as my $4,000 big machine!

Quote Originally Posted by lkcantwell
    Is yours the 6000i that is advertised on Walmart & Amazon's web site? I found it for $147 yesterday.
    That would be it

Quote Originally Posted by koipuddle
    Hi,
    What automatic features of a sewing machine do you find most useful when piecing and quilting, auto tie off, auto thread scissors, etc? This will help me decide which machine to purchase, since I cannot afford one with ALL the bells and whistles. Thank you,
    Jack
    Space under the arm to the right both width and height.
    Automatic thread cutter.
    Knee lifter.
    Oh and definitely the needle down feature. Would not even look at the Bernina several yrs ago because it did not have this feature at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
    Hey, Friends

Several of you have been mentioning the needle threader feature on your machine. I can't make mine work worth beans. I have a serger threader designed for threading the loopers on a serger, but it works GREAT on threading a regular machine needle. I insert it inthe eye of the needed from the BACK. I put the thread in the loop and pull it to the back. Amazing.
    It took me a while to figure out why my needle threader wasn't working right and I finally realized it works best if you put the presser foot down before you try it. Have you tried this? If not, give it a try and see if it makes a difference.

My Brother 1200 Booklet actually tells you to put the presser foot down, I have had the machine for 2 yrs and just found that out LOL

Elle

I'd like to find one that would make me coffee in the morning! lol!

It isn't automatic, but I like the presser foot lift that I can control with my knee. It is great for applique.

I absolutely love the dual feed on my Pfaff, the needle down position and the 1/4 inch quilting foot. Having a machine that is a real work horse and is always ready to go when I am has been very good!

Quote Originally Posted by koipuddle
    The machines I am looking at either have the auto cut, or the auto tie off, but not both. So thought 'What other of the features do others use the most and find the most useful?' All opinions are appreciated, as this will help me make up my mind when I go check out the machines Monday.
    Jack
    What is the auto cut? Is that a function that cuts both the top and bobbin thread? Man I would love that

I have the pfaff 2.0 expressions and I love it. some day I would Love to get the 4.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith
    I absolutely love the dual feed on my Pfaff, the needle down position and the 1/4 inch quilting foot. Having a machine that is a real work horse and is always ready to go when I am has been very good!

I just put on my magnifer glasses and use tweezers to thread the needle....could never get the hang of the needle threader
    Quote Originally Posted by quilterguy27
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
    Hey, Friends

It took me a while to figure out why my needle threader wasn't working right and I finally realized it works best if you put the presser foot down before you try it. Have you tried this? If not, give it a try and see if it makes a difference.

I have a Pfaff, so I love the IDT, but can't do without a good buttonhole stitch, needle down, needle threader and the ability to move my needle position. I love my stitch in the ditch foot and the 1/4 inch with the blade on it. I hardly ever use the thread cutter or the tie off. All the extras are nice, but in my opinion not absolutely necessary.

I am with those who like the needle up and down, thread cutter. I probably could be happy with just a regular not computerized. Have a Bernina 440qe but would like a small light machine I could carry to classes sometimes and just for a spare.

I love the walking foot on my Pfaff also.

Power Poster
    I love everything about my pfaff.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast