Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Most useful features of a sewing machine to U?

Needle up/down, auto threader (can't thread without one) and knee lift.

Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnieKat
    I love the walking foot on my Pfaff.
    I do too MinnieKat. I have an old Pfaff 1222E and its my favorite for piecing quilt blocks. All the layers feed evenly and all my quilt blocks come out right.
    I have a fancy Viking 875 Sapphire with all the bells and whistles, its the one I use for machine quilting.(10"throat).
    Me, three! I have two Pfaffs and I LOVE the built in walking foot, needle up/down position, auto tie off stitch, easy to change feet, ability to drop the feed dogs and much more - but these are the first "favorite features" that come to mind. OH! and the needle threader! :-D

Hi Katie, yes, at least that is what I am assuming it is; as I am new to these new machines with all these features. But that is what I have gathered.
    Jack

Blog Entries
    IDT! That's the built-in even feed (walking foot) in the new Pfaff's. And the wide throat. Looking forward to trying the tie-off.

Kitsie, which model of the pfaff do you have? I have noticed the wider the throat, obviously the better.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by katiebear1
    Quote Originally Posted by koipuddle
    The machines I am looking at either have the auto cut, or the auto tie off, but not both. So thought 'What other of the features do others use the most and find the most useful?' All opinions are appreciated, as this will help me make up my mind when I go check out the machines Monday.
    Jack
    What is the auto cut? Is that a function that cuts both the top and bobbin thread? Man I would love that
    In answer to your question, yes the auto cut cuts both the top and bobbin thread a really great feature especially with the tie off feature as well.

Elle

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The needle down. God bless.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned speed control. Maybe I'm the only one who sews at a snail's pace? That and needle up/down are my absolute essentials. I couldn't live without them. Well, actually, I did and it sucked. I didn't complete one single sewing project. Whole different story with my new machine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by koipuddle
    Hi,
    What automatic features of a sewing machine do you find most useful when piecing and quilting, auto tie off, auto thread scissors, etc? This will help me decide which machine to purchase, since I cannot afford one with ALL the bells and whistles. Thank you,
    Jack
    IMO, the more fancy things on a machine are only the more things that can go wrong and I have no patience with things like that.
    I am happy with my Singer 457 that does straight stitch with only a few simple options. What I would like is to be able to clone myself and put one of me in front of my 457 24/7. Hee Hee Hee

Many nice machines on the market, as long as will go forward/backward and the occasional zig-zag, all's good !!

Mine has an automatic threader. Great for these tired eyes.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnycat
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned speed control. Maybe I'm the only one who sews at a snail's pace? .
    You are right! It does come in handy, particularly when doing fancy stitches around a corner. I't nice to have the option to slow things down to a crawl. Even on a normal project, I generally don't go past the mid-point on the speed. Too many moving parts and yelling "stop stop!!!" does NOT work. I have tried, lol.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Knee lift is a must-have for me. It's like having a third hand.

some times I have to tweek the threader with my fingernail work on it its worth it

I have a Brothers Innovis QC1000 I just bought in April. It has needle threader, automatic tie off to start and a button to press to do automatic tie off and thread cutter at the end. Pressure foot can be by hand by push button or knee lift. Has other automatic features I am not familiar with yet. Also has a walking foot attachment.

I loved my Pfaff with the walking foot, however it was going in the shop about once a week, and I discovered Pfaff is now longer owned by Pfaff and is made in indo china or whoever gets the lowest bid. They change every 5 years and as mine was 5 years old, the parts are hard to find. It is really sad that such a great machine is going down hill. My daughter still has my old phaff which is about 15 years old. Just hope it holds up!

Dee
    I lkie the no foot pedal on my little Brother. Nothing fancy, but almost my favorite machine.

I forgot to mention speed control on both the Brother and Janome - great feature. Also both have needle up/down, drop in bobbin for quick changes. The bobbin winder on the Brother is totally separate from the stitching so you can refill bobbins without having to rethread the needle.

Just made it back from Wichita, only went to one dealer that sold Janome. I was worried about the pfaff machine not being built in Germany any longer and the changing of hands as you said. The salesperson had one there and brought it out and showed me the differences in the pfaff and a janome 3160. I ended up buying a new machine that has no auto cutter :cry: no auto tie off :-( no knee lifter but it does have a threader. Oh, and the walker foot is extra $$; but this machine is built like a TANK!! It's a new Bernina 330. These machines wasn't even in the running when I first walked into the store, but after looking it over, trying it and the janome, even though the janome had everything I wanted, I opted for the Bernina because it feels very solid. I hope I don't regret not having the frills, but I do like the machine. I'm very excited. I bought it, a walking foot and the salesperson threw in a 1/4" foot free. Oh, and the machine was on sale for $959, walking foot was another $130. Now I just gotta get it paid off so I can get it home and play with it :D
    Jack

Glad you found one that you like. That is the most important feature of any machine. Happy sewing.

Needle up/down and a lock stitch.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4