Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Mother Lode of Fabric >

The Mother Lode of Fabric

The Mother Lode of Fabric

Old 06-23-2012, 07:42 AM

I agree that caution is in order when sorting through the fabric before storing it again, unless you know the exact conditions it's been stored under and they were clean.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:47 AM

wow what a mother load of fabric. what i thought about as i read your post is the 1000's of $$$$'s that went into building such a large stash and how if i had half of those dollars i could take a cruise and upgrade to the balcony suite and sip my umbrella drinks from the comfort of my balcony.

wow i wonder how many years and how many dollars went into building that stash but no worries someone else gets to benefit from it. it could have all been discarded in a landfill somewhere. of course there could be some issues with critters or dry rot but i am sure you and your guild members are skilled enough to take the necessary precautions to sort through all of this fabric and keep what you can, discard what you must, donate what you can and clean everything before using or passing on.

good luck to you all. i hope from this stash your guild raises plenty of scholarship $$$'s, make plenty of donation quilts and give some to bless other quilters in the area.

Last edited by Havplenty; 06-23-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
sadly being stored in an attic, could means tons of issues...#1 rodent "stuff", and #2 dry rot or mildew. I would not store this anywhere until I knew what I was dealing with!

That poor lady is going to have buy insulation for her attic now!

You are absolutely right about the insulation for the attic! And the bugs--just got home from an auction (hoping to score a glass front bookshelf to put fabric in--got outbid by a lot!) where there were some old quilts--smelled SO musty! and about 8-10 boxes of fabric--most not cotton--but in looking in each box I had to be very careful--spiders everywhere!
Old 06-23-2012, 01:00 PM

Oh my. What a load. So much fabric and so little time.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:05 PM
Power Poster

Waiting to hear what the contents of the bags were like?

I would think that attic storaged fabric would be less chance of mildewed than basement storage, though.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:18 PM

Wow, what a wonderful gift. I would wear venilator and gloves and sort through each bag before bringing it inside. I would also wash anything you plan to keep and donate the rest. Good luck and hope you can make lots of wonderful things out of it.

Kat
Old 06-23-2012, 01:23 PM

Great gift for your Guild.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:36 PM

What a score! The price was definitely right, too. Enjoy!
Old 06-23-2012, 04:57 PM

Here's hoping this stash turns out to be the Great Gift it promises to be! Best of luck to you and your Guild!
Old 06-23-2012, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
sadly being stored in an attic, could means tons of issues...#1 rodent "stuff", and #2 dry rot or mildew. I would not store this anywhere until I knew what I was dealing with!

That poor lady is going to have buy insulation for her attic now!

My thought exactly! So I emptied every bag so I could check it all out and also find fabric appropriate for my sewing class. The fabric is in great shape, a lot of it looks brand new. No droppings, no mildew, no discoloration. It had all been stored in boxes. I believe the attic is already well insulated and more like a bonus room upstairs rather than the attics we think about that are dusty and possibly damp and cold. I live in Southern CA too, a more temperate climate for storage.