Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • The Mother Lode of Fabric >
  • The Mother Lode of Fabric

• The Mother Lode of Fabric

Old 06-23-2012, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Waiting to hear what the contents of the bags were like?

I would think that attic storaged fabric would be less chance of mildewed than basement storage, though.

So far all the fabric has been in excellent condition, no mildew, mold, dust, droppings, anything. As I said in another reply I did, I think it was stored in a bonus room on the upper floor of the house that was used as an attic. So far I haven't found any issues to deal with, not even bugs or spiders.
    Old 06-23-2012, 07:04 PM

Sounds like you did your work going through everything FIRST !!
    Congrats to your group & all the potential $$$$ you will be able to raise to help so many receive schorships.
    Psssssss,what a fantastic local newspaper story to also honor those who donated,delivered ect.

Originally Posted by lalaland
    My thought exactly! So I emptied every bag so I could check it all out and also find fabric appropriate for my sewing class. The fabric is in great shape, a lot of it looks brand new. No droppings, no mildew, no discoloration. It had all been stored in boxes. I believe the attic is already well insulated and more like a bonus room upstairs rather than the attics we think about that are dusty and possibly damp and cold. I live in Southern CA too, a more temperate climate for storage.
    Old 06-23-2012, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cindy60545
    My question is why so much fabric? I'd like to know the story of this collection. Has the mother been storing this up for awhile or was it from a previous owner of the house? That's an awfully big stash in anybodies book, & various kinds, too. Don't get me wrong, I think the gesture of the donation is fabulous, but that much? Someone had to be hoarding for years!

It's fabric that belonged to the mother and the daughter. The mother has passed and the daughter doesn't sew anymore. It does make you wonder about hoarding but I know I've gotten carried away and ended up with more fabric thanm I could ever in a million years use. We see it, we like it, we buy it. Fortunately my guild has a massive garage sale every year and I rent a spot and sell the overflow that I loved when I bought it but not that enthusiastic about it now. So I manage to keep my stash down to a dull roar. Without that garage sale every year, I'd probably be looking for a storage unit somewhere.
    Old 06-23-2012, 07:36 PM
    Dee

Happy stitching.