Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Mother Lode of Fabric >

The Mother Lode of Fabric

The Mother Lode of Fabric

Old 06-21-2012, 07:20 PM

Default The Mother Lode of Fabric

The mother of two boys that graduated from our high school called me and asked if I would like a donation for my sewing class. She said her boys had volunteered to clean out the attic and there was a bunch of fabric up there. I said sure. My chapter of the Am. Sewing Guild has a huge garage sale every Sept. and we sold ALL our fabric last year so I figured what I couldn't use, the guild could use. All the money raised goes for scholarships.

So the first wave came today via one of the boys. I just had to take a picture. Twenty 32 gallon garbage bags of fabric. I went through all of them looking for fabric for my class. Found some fabulous stuff I know the kids will like. There's cottons, flannels, fleece, silks, satins, sateen, knit, home deco, fur, felt, unfinished baby quilt tops, panels, denim, silky polyesters, you name it, it's in there. He told me he could bring 40 more bags tomorrow and probably another 20 on Monday!!!

I'm delivering this shipment to the guild's storage unit tomorrow, then coordinating getting tomorrow's shipment over to the unit this weekend, then hopefully the last shipment on Monday. All the fabric is in great condition too. My personal stash looks so pitiful now.
Attached Thumbnails dsc01527.jpg   dsc01526.jpg  
Old 06-21-2012, 07:31 PM
Banned

sadly being stored in an attic, could means tons of issues...#1 rodent "stuff", and #2 dry rot or mildew. I would not store this anywhere until I knew what I was dealing with!

That poor lady is going to have buy insulation for her attic now!
Old 06-22-2012, 12:35 AM

Wow! You scored! And that's stuff that won't be going to the landfill so it's a two-fer score!
Old 06-22-2012, 02:47 AM

I agree that there may be problems with the fabrics from being in the attic. I would pull on some of the fabrics to see if they tear easily. It probably depends on how hot/cold it got in the attic (some are fan ventilated to keep cool in the summer) and how long they were in there. Given the size of the lot, I don't think they were put there temporarily. Maybe you'll be lucky and they were only put there recently. That'd be great!

Another caution, just in case: If there are mouse or other rodent droppings mixed in, you need to wear a ventilator to prevent breathing dust from the droppings. There are diseases you could get (marsala? I forget...). You also should spray any droppings with a mist of water first to minimize dust and wear gloves, of course. Hopefully you won't need that little tidbit of information!
Old 06-22-2012, 03:23 AM

This looks like a wonderful donation for you and your group! I hope you and the guild members are able to add to find useful items and then boost the guild's treasury with garage sale fabric.

Dayle
Old 06-22-2012, 05:15 AM

If you only lived closer I would love to come and help you sort out all that fabric!! It would be so much fun! Have fun with this amazing donation!
Old 06-22-2012, 07:10 AM

Oh what fun!
Old 06-23-2012, 02:52 AM

My question is why so much fabric? I'd like to know the story of this collection. Has the mother been storing this up for awhile or was it from a previous owner of the house? That's an awfully big stash in anybodies book, & various kinds, too. Don't get me wrong, I think the gesture of the donation is fabulous, but that much? Someone had to be hoarding for years!
Old 06-23-2012, 04:07 AM

Yes thats the mother lode have fun
Old 06-23-2012, 04:46 AM

WOW!! Don't know what else to say.