Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Moving fabric >

Moving fabric

Moving fabric

Old 02-22-2016, 10:55 PM
Power Poster

I would box everything, put fabric in plastic bags and then in the box. Stack the boxes on a plastic pallet and then wrap the pallet with plastic wrap. And yes only put stuff in a clear plastic bag.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 02-22-2016 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:39 AM

I moved three weeks ago. I put my stash in large plastic bins sorted as I chose. The bins were not broken. The movers moved the bins. Absolutely no problems. I chose to move my two machines and my collection of rulers and mats in a private vehicle. The movers forgot my design wall but I got it later. I know that many fear potential damage from movers. I did not have any problems with my movers. They were young, strong, friendly and professional. They protected my antique furniture, pictures and protected my all of my possessions. Talk to your moving company, ask questions and firmly expect answers.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:02 AM

There are so many variations on how to move. From doing it all yourself to not lifting a finger and letting a moving company take care of it all. The latter is pretty stress free but expensive. On the occasions when we were footing the bill, I would do all the packing and rent a 'pod', put it into the driveway and over time load the boxes in. Then movers would come to load the heavy stuff in, move the pod and unload the heavy stuff. I've moved fabric in plastic tubs - no problem with breakage. Put your machines in the original boxes and move them in a car yourself.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:29 AM

I'm not moving-did so 18 months ago. But, I like the idea cite by 'yngldy' to take pictures of the fabric in the plastic boxes so she didn't have to open each one when looking for fabric. I guess I will have to go get the phone. I have most of my fabric (one yard and under) stored in 12 quart plastic boxes and labeled. When we moved we set those boxes into large moving boxes which were not to heavy. So easy to put back in place in the new house and start sewing again. We moved ourselves with a rental van and it went very smoothly and was cost efficient.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:24 AM

I don't envy you. Moving can be such a project. I would pack the fabric in plastic boxes. If you are having movers pack you usually have to pay them to do it but they normally do an excellent job. I've never had movers pack but they are much better at it than I am.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:43 AM

My suggestion, is to 'purge' what you don't need. This applies to the whole house. Sell it, give it away, or take it to
charities (Good Will) or just plain, trash it, if not worth giving. As for the fabric and machines. Call the moving company.
They can tell you if or what you need to do. If it is a 'whole house move' you are paying for. Let them do it all. You need
know what you are responsible for and what your moving company contracted is responsible for. Just be aware, that if you pack it and something happens in transit, the moving company is not responsible for replacing or reimburse you for it. It's your loss. How do I know this, husband worked for United Van Lines......some years ago but I'm sure this hasn't
changed...why would they insure something they didn't pack...
Old 02-23-2016, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

If you can get ahold of the boxes that WalMart bags come in, they are small enough that they aren't too heavy but sturdy enough to support fabric. Just a hint.

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
When I moved last year I did all the packing myself. My fabric went into cardboard boxes, lined with plastic bags. Everything was stored for about 3 months before it could be moved into the house. I had kept the original boxes for my Bernina and a middle-aged Singer, and the featherweight was in its case. The treadle and vintage Singer in a table were handled by the movers. I broke down my longarm stand, and warned the movers to pack the head very carefully in the moving van. It was wrapped in blankets and placed in a safe area. Everything came through the move okay.

If you use tubs, they shouldn't get broken, but boxes are more easily stacked and less expensive, if you don't already have the tubs.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:55 AM

I had mine packed in totes, both Costco kind and the blue ones. Both have the overlapping lockable tops and everything went fine. As far as packing the machines, if you have the original boxes and packing, that would be best. Otherwise, ask them if they have packed sewing machines before. I found several videos on line about packing a sewing machine (just type in the phrase, "packing a sewing machine").
Old 02-23-2016, 09:00 AM

Using the rolling trash bins is such an excellent idea! Wish I had known this 8 moves ago! But now I know and will be using this for next time. Gosh, I hope that isn't for a good long while yet!
Old 02-24-2016, 02:10 PM

Every time I have moved (at least 15 times in 50 years) I have always done my own packing. Fabric is heavy and will not break so let the movers take it. Pack it in whatever you are going to store it in. if you are concerned about how they will be handled, take the machines yourself, if possible. I always took those things that I felt needed special handling or were not replaceable.