Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Moving fabric >

Moving fabric

Moving fabric

Old 02-22-2016, 09:33 AM

Wow, talking about moving brought back memories. Dad was in the Marine Corps 30 years and husband was in 20 years. I still get antsy every three years. All suggestions given are good. What you need to know is what works for one does not always work for another. I always had the packers pack my stuff while in the military and some times it was a good move and sometimes not. We moved ourselves a few times and again, sometimes good and sometimes not. My suggestion is to look at the move in a positive light. Attitude is everything.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:27 AM

If you have a treadle machine make sure the movers don't cut/remove the belt. My movers took the machine out of the cabinet and cut the belt. Needless to say I still have not gotten over that and it's been 25 years ago. Good luck!
Old 02-22-2016, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Buy the biggest plastic trash containers on wheels. It will hold tons of folded fabric and easy to move. No heavy lifting and easy to lay down and unload. We used them to move our DDs from apt. to apt many times. Rolled them right on the rented U Haul. The rolling bins are the only way to move a lot of books.
Interesting idea! never would have thought of that but it makes sense. may be moving in a year or so and will keep this on my list!
Old 02-22-2016, 12:24 PM

A word of caution: if it's in a trash container or bag, it could get mistaken for trash. I once was running errands: Goodwill, then JoAnn, then the cleaners. I had a bag of clothes for GW, a bag of 3 dresses ( my only 3, I might add) and 2 of hub's suits for the cleaners. They were both in white trash bags and I had packed them myself in the trunk.

But I didn't label them, I just said to myself, " I'll remember the good clothes are on the right. " Well, I made it to Goodwill, and hastily handed the collector the bag that was on the right in the trunk. Then I went to JOAnn. Naturally I lost track of time, and by the time I left, the cleaners was closed. I promptly put the bag out of my mind.

Two weeks later, he needs the grey suit for a business trip in two days.

I panic . I hadn't taken them to the cleaners!! Maybe I can get them to do a rush job. I run to the trunk, open the trash bag.....and it's Goodwill clothes!!!

The bags must have rolled around and switched places. Or I thought "the GoodWILL clothes are on the right". ... .?

I would only only "keep the things that spark joy" as Marie Kondo says. Discard everything else. You don't want to pay to move the fabric you no longer love, do you?

PS we are still married after that big woopsie, but I no longer put good stuff in trash bags!

Last edited by zozee; 02-22-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:45 PM

We moved from our first home, 35 years worth of 'stuff'. Packed all my fabrics in plastic totes and it worked well. This will give you a chance to 'weed out' fabrics that you no longer want. It is a big job, but 'doable'.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:59 PM

I like your idea, yngldy, of using an office chair to move stuff with. I have moved many, many TVs that way!
Old 02-22-2016, 04:27 PM

I moved the first of Oct last year, and I put my fabric in the plastic tubs, used the packing tape to tape the lids on. For hanging clothes, you can tie wrap around about 15-20 hangers, then place garbagebag over, put hole for top of hangers to poke through, hang in closet, and tie the bag at the bottom, then you just re-hang em, cut tie wrap off, take bag off, and wah-lah, clothes hanging in new home!
Old 02-22-2016, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by kyquiltlover1942 View Post
I wrapped all my dishes and other breakables with my fabric, the last time we moved cross country. Did not add any weight with paper and got to keep most of my fabric.
I would have to buy more dishes.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:35 PM

my recommendation is: rip an old bed sheet in 3" strips then get sturdy boxes from book or liquor stores. Pack boxes and tie them shut with the sheet strips in this manner: drape a strip over closed box, criss cross on the underside, bring up from bottom and tie tight and secure. Like wrapping a present with a ribbon. All 4 sides will be secured. Now boxes can be carried by the ties with 1 hand and should stay closed, even if tipped over. Save the $$$$ you would spend on totes for more sewing things!
Old 02-22-2016, 10:06 PM

Other places to look for boxes.

Pharmacy, usually have dividers like wine boxes, only smaller, really handy for smaller Knick knacks.

Computer stores
Commercial bakeries
Industrial parks
Produce markets

When my mil moved 15 years ago I found most the boxes in the cardboard recycling bins in light industrial areas. They were clean dry and flattened, just needed to be tapes back together.