Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Moving near Frederick MD

Hello! DH has a job near Frederick MD... now we have to move!! Any guilds near there? good quilt shops? First say a prayer on selling this house.. economy not great.. but we are going to try... let me know about the area..
    Hugs
    Quiltinmama

Welcome! There are a couple of great quilt shops in town, and DC is fairly close with a number of fantastic places as well. I don't belong to a guild but I know there are some in the area.

Good luck selling your house; I know it's tough but people are able to do it somehow anyway. And now you know someone in the Frederick area - let me know if you have questions, or if you'd like to chat!

I always shop at G Street Fabrics in Chantilly,VA but I'm not familiar with Maryland. I'm sure you'll find some good shops & people though. Good luck with your move. =)

Banned
    Hagerstown is not far from Frederick and there is a great shop west of town. Traditional At the White Swan.
    Also there is a nice little shop north of Hagerstown behind the rest stop. Miriam''s I believe. Lots of stuff there.

Sisto's Sewing is in Frederick. They have a great selection of fabric.

We have some great shops and quilt guild. Also talented longarmers. Must try Patches in Mt. Airy. When you move or are ready,PM me, be glad to take you to my guild or give you a tour of the area.

Needles and Pins Quilt Store, in Frederick!

I live in Carroll County, MD and shop in Fredrick and even into the D.C. area when I get the chance. If you are going to be living on the eastern side of Fredrick County there are several guilds around. There is one called Four County that I could get you the information for if you are interested. They are having a show this fall I believe. PM me and I will get you the exact details.

Both of my SIL's live in Prince Frederick. It it nearby or the same place? Not sure. Where they live is absoutely beautiful. Have not looked into the guilds, there, I'm the only quilter in the family.

Good luck selling your house. It looks like you will have several friends waiting for you when you move. That makes it less scary.
    Sue

Prince Frederick is not the same place as the city of Frederick. I would have to look on a mat. Carroll County is right next door to Frederick county. Frederick the city is about 50 miles from me because I am in the far NE corner of Carroll County right on the southern PA line. Several of my quilting friends who live a little further west than me belong to the Four County Quilter's guild I mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltinMama
    Hello! DH has a job near Frederick MD... now we have to move!! Any guilds near there? good quilt shops? First say a prayer on selling this house.. economy not great.. but we are going to try... let me know about the area..
    Hugs
    Quiltinmama
    Thank you all for all of your suggestions and of course the shops names... you make me feel like I have friends already there... thank you
    Hugs
    Quiltinmama

Be prepared for traffic. When you pick a place to live, have your dh drive to work during rush hour to see if he wants to deal with it before buying or signing a lease. A lot of people when they move to the area don't take that into account. I'm about 20 miles south of Frederick. I used to work only 11 miles away and it could take 30-45 minutes each way on a good day. A rainy day or traffic accident it's easily double that.

And when you get settled in, you can come join us in Germantown to sew with the MSP quilting angles. We make quilts for QFK's and QOV's. http://mspquiltingangels.blogspot.com/ We have people come from PA and VA also.

I have been in charge of the military donations and quilts for soldiers here in NJ for our guild ..so yes I would love to come and sew for the these wonderful men and women..
    just let me know the time and place... LOL!! We have not decided yet on where we want to buy.. I need to go over and check this area just trying to get this house ready for selling... uggggghhhh!
    Hugs
    Quiltinmama

My sister visits Frederick MD often for quilting supplies and often drive into PA for a day. When I visited her at New Windsor, we visited a fabric shop in Frederick. You won't be far from Gettysburg PA, and other places in that area. I am sure you will find others to quilt with once you get there. Good luck selling your house.

Carol J.

Thanks Carol... need all the help I can get... cleaning out closets... good grief... too much to do..
    hugs
    Quiltinmama

Here is a list of quilt shops in and near Frederick that my DS sent for you.
    Needles & Pins 310 E Church Street
    Sisto-on edge of Frederick phone no.301-695-0643
    Quilt Patch, 15 miles from Frederick at Littleton PA
    phone no. 717-359-4121
    Mt. Airy near Gettysburg PA

When you move to Frederick send me a PM and when my sister is back in New Windsor, I will hook you two up, she is a master quilter. She volunteers at the Brethren Service Center and lives in Iowa, going home next week but hopes to be back in MD next year, God willing.

Carol J.

Thanks Carol
    That sounds good to me.. enjoy your time with your sister and pray that we get this house sold..
    Hugs
    Quiltinmama