Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Moving sewing room to master bedroom. Yay!!! >

Moving sewing room to master bedroom. Yay!!!

Moving sewing room to master bedroom. Yay!!!

Old 10-09-2014, 05:42 PM

Congrats! Enjoy your new space. My husband absolutely shut me down when I wanted the master or the living room. However, we just signed a contract for my new quilt studio/giant closet and his library in the basement. He said he felt sorry for me being squished in a small bedroom. I'm even getting my french doors. So, now I guess I can't complain!
Old 10-09-2014, 06:23 PM

When I bought my long arm, the only space it would fit in and be out of the mainstream was the master bedroom. So, that is where she resides. I'd love a space big enough to house all of my sewing/ crafting stuff in one space. As it is, I'm scattered out into three rooms. Oh well, it works.
Congrats on your new space!
Old 10-09-2014, 08:12 PM

I would consider extra living or dining areas as sewing areas. My current sewing room is a small bedroom and tiny compared to the previous one. But I have sewed in the kitchen with none of the sewing tools I have now, so I'm thankful for what I have. However, if I could talk my DH into letting me have the larger master bedroom, I would be even more thankful.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:07 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

The living room in this cottage is my sewing studio....not a sofa or comfy chair in the place. My one wing-backed leather recliner and TV are in the "dining space" now living room at the ned of the kitchen. Anybody who comes to see me had best be planning to sit in an office chair and sew!

Jan in VA
Old 10-11-2014, 02:30 AM

I've got three rooms: the bathroom, the bedroom and the sewing room. No choice.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:58 AM

I have never had a permanent sewing space — until now. My father is to move in with us and this summer we rearranged the whole house to give him two rooms and a bathroom. One will be his bedroom and the other his sitting room. Our office moved into the two-car garage where my husband formerly had it junked up amazingly. He bit the bullet and finally, after 30 years or so, went through every item of his stuff and tossed garbage cans of it. The long table which he had piled up 2 feet high now holds my sewing machine and pieces laid out of the quilt I am working on. The chair has the pair of his pants which need hemming hanging on it. My scissors, pins and thimble are all right there! I feel so blessed to be able to put up my machine and not have to take it down after a couple of days. This is marvelous, no matter if I share it with our "office" and washer and dryer!

We've been married nearly 42 years and this is the first time I've had a sewing space promising anything like permanency.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I would love a big master bedroom. What I don't get is homes that have a formal dining room and a regular dining room, and a formal living room and a regular living room (or family room). Talk about a waste of space. The only time you ever make full use of those rooms is during the holidays. My home has a formal living room but I've taken it over as my sewing room. The kids' rooms are fairly large, but not large enough for my longarm, sewing machine & table, cutting board, and ironing board.
I agree with you, I see no need for formal living rooms or formal dining rooms. We have two grandsons living with us. We had a formal living room, never used it except for the Holidays, so now it is my sewing room. I have room for everything I need. It is much better than trying to use two small rooms to do everything. I think formal rooms are a wast of space. Us sewers need our space. LOL Happy Sewing Girls.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:09 AM

I'm one of those who took over the 3rd bedroom when DS moved out. It's a small room but now that DH let me move the treadmill into our master bedroom and buy an actual sewing table that lets me have my machine sit down into it I'm in happy girl heaven! I have a dedicated cutting table at the right height and a design wall I can see from a distance even from the hallway. What more could I ask for? Maybe I'm a bit spoiled but a quilter needs what a quilter needs. It has taken me many years to finally work into this sweet deal.

CONGRATS to you! I hope you have much fun in your new quilting space!!!
Old 10-11-2014, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

Good luck. My DH won't but the idea
Old 10-11-2014, 06:38 AM

When I lived in Florida I had a very small house with 2 bedrooms. I used the larger of the bedrooms as my sewing room. It was still too small as I had a 10 ft. quilting system right smack in the middle of the room for lack of anywhere else to put it. Since then I've moved to Iowa and while searching for a new home my top priority was a large room or rooms together to put my sewing room. I found a large older home with a basement that would work great. It has a full bathroom down there too and I was able to use an area for a small kitchenette with sink. Since then I've added a design wall, pegboards on both sides of the middle wall as the basement is divided into 2 main rooms. Upgraded my quilt system to a 12 ft. 26" machine and enlarged my cutting table to a full 4' x 8' with lots of storage under neath. Now if only I had room for a recliner I'd never have to leave the basement. The bathroom has open closets for my everyday clothes so have everything I need down here including a TV, computer, fridge, microwave and small coffee maker.