Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Moving sewing room to master bedroom. Yay!!! >

Moving sewing room to master bedroom. Yay!!!

Moving sewing room to master bedroom. Yay!!!

Old 10-11-2014, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

I would like a bedroom a little larger than we have. As far as dining room, I'm good with a large eat in kitchen. We don't entertain much so no need for dining room. As far as 2 living rooms, please no thank you. Would like to have an extra bath. Seems like we both need it at the same time. We are not formal people. I would have one of the bedrooms as my sewing room with a Murphy bed verticle style so I could use the underside as a design wall. Would have it bookcase style so I could have extra storage on each side. I believe one of the QB members had one like this. Then I'm good.
Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I would love a big master bedroom. What I don't get is homes that have a formal dining room and a regular dining room, and a formal living room and a regular living room (or family room). Talk about a waste of space. The only time you ever make full use of those rooms is during the holidays. My home has a formal living room but I've taken it over as my sewing room. The kids' rooms are fairly large, but not large enough for my longarm, sewing machine & table, cutting board, and ironing board.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

I guess I'm not very wifey. I don't understand the 'DH let me' mindset. I have never asked DH's permission to do anything or go anywhere and he would die laughing if I did and the same with him asking me. We both know we are not going to paint the house black or sign up for spot on a space ship. LOL
Old 10-11-2014, 08:58 AM

We just moved recently and I have a new sewing room. It was a lower level family room which we would never use so we made it my sewing room. It is lovely with two big windows and a walkout sliding door. I converted an unusable wood shelving unit to perfect usability by turning it over on its side. The spaces are perfect for the plastic 12 quart boxes I store my fabric in. I have a closet with shelves for plastic boxes of projects, supplies, etc. I made matching labels for everything. I have a wonderful L-shaped sewing table my husband built for me for my machine and computer. It is so comfortable to use. I just am getting back to sewing after the move and getting settled. We have an adjacent, unfinished space which will be customized to accommodate my husband's model railroad. Great spaces for both of us. I have taken the time to organize my stuff in the new spaces. I love to be organized and find that if I get organized to begin with I can keep up the plan.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:02 AM

I bought my home just as the economy headed for the round file, so I decided to buy a house big enough in case one of my DD's needed to come home, they could. I bought a 1513 sq ft, 3 bedroom, with separate family room. Well, the economy is recovering, and DD's are still doing well, so DH has an office, I have a sewing storage room, and what you would use as a family room, is actually the sewing room. All those years of sewing on the dining room table between meals, all the little problems that come with that now seem worth it, but I never dreamed I would have so much room. I am truly blessed. I would post pictures but my organization skills could be so much better....
Old 10-11-2014, 11:33 AM
Power Poster

Good luck, sounds like a good compromise.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:25 PM

About 2 years ago, when I was sure DD wasn't coming back home, I cleaned out and fixed up her bedroom for my sewing room It is pretty small. I had barely moved my table and machine in when my nephew asked to move in while he finished up school. Well, all my stuff was scattered all over the house, tucked away here and there. He has just very recently left, and I'm moving back in, trying to remember where I stored all my stuff! It may be a small room, I may have to share with a guest bed, but I can't wait to be able to sew again without having to collect bits and pieces from every nook of my house, which was really a pain, so very little quilting took place. I am elated!!
Now, I suppose I'll want more room as time goes on, as we all do when we gather more "stuff", gain more skill, get more adventurous!! But for now I'm grateful for every square inch I have regained! Yipee!!
Old 10-11-2014, 01:44 PM

Yeah those were the good ole days!
I have the tiniest room for sewing
While my hubby has the large room and large bath for his man cave! What
Am I doing wrong? Lol just glad I have a room and don't have to use the dining table!!
Old 10-11-2014, 06:36 PM

I have a 12x14 bedroom that is all mine. When I moved into my DH's house 10 years ago, I was working with stained glass and set up a studio in the then empty third bedroom, complete with a counter height 8' work station and built-in cubbies for all the glass. That takes up most of one wall. When I took up quilting 3 years ago, I had the opposite wall to useso I positioned my Bernina 1130 workhorse under the window and set up a 6' table next to the sewing cabinet. The adjacent wall became a 7'x7' design wall. I love my room. I can close the door and shut out the rest of the world. It's my retreat and happy place. My DH actually knocks and waits for me to answer before he comes in (although I never asked him to do that). Now, if I could only find someone who wants to buy all the sheets of glass I have left, I could double my quilting space and find an excuse to get another sewing machine.

Btw, we have a living room that is not "lived" in since we use the den, and a formal dining room that is not used, either. I would love to have a house without all these unnecessary rooms, but until we decide to move I'm stuck with them.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:52 PM

I envy you fine ladies as I have my 4-5 square feet unless I clean off DH pool table tp sue fpr a few hours. Happy for all of you and maybe some day I will get lucky, So happy for all of you.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I would stay where I was if I was you. I like getting up have a cup of coffee and do what I want til I'm ready to change from bedclothes to day clothes.
Me too Tess, I'm in my Nammies till pot of coffee is done, usually anout 11am lol
Jeri