Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
MQ borders >

MQ borders

MQ borders

Old 03-14-2011, 07:49 PM

I'm just thinking aloud....will cross hatching work here? Using the points of the zig zag lines? I've not tried out cross-hatching but read something about them. What's the best way to go about doing this?
Old 03-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Power Poster

if you want, you could do straight lines at an angle across your border. like this
Attached Thumbnails attachment-169934.jpe  
Old 03-14-2011, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
if you want, you could do straight lines at an angle across your border. like this
Beautiful quilt u have here! The lines work very well and compliment the quilt design. Is this similar to cross-hatching? I remember my walking foot comes with a guide. Can that be used to quilt these straight lines?
Old 03-15-2011, 01:04 AM

Hi vivientan,I'm new here.but not to quilting.I was taught early on that straight patterns should have some curves in the quilting,and round shapes should have straight lines to compliment the patterns in it.Like you could do a curved lines like the 'cable' would work great here in your border and you could use your walking foot to do it too.Very pretty quilt.Good luck
Old 03-15-2011, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by vivientan
I'm working on a single-size quilt for my DD and currently doing SID for the top. As I'm fairly new to MQ, I'm just wondering how I shd quilt the borders. Quite tempted to try out some simple FMQ but worried at the same time I would do a bad job as I've never attempted this before. If I'm using a walking foot, what sort of designs could I sew? Not sure if simple wavy lines would look awful on the quilt. How about straight lines that interlock each other?

I have an outer border of 4.25" and 2 inner borders of 1.5".

Any advice here will be much appreciated.

[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/DSC03769.jpg[/IMG]

Vivientan, your quilt is really lovely. Since you haven't really FMQ'd much I think NativeTexans's idea would really look good and work great on your quilt. It would add a lot of dimenision to your quilt. Especially with the way your squares/points are designed. Those lines would really make the quilt flow to me. If using you walking foot and the metal bar you can attach to it would give you equal measurements between the lines and would go really easily.

Holice's idea is great also but after quilting for many, many years I have yet to master those stencils. I do so much better on my own there but fortunately many people have no problems. I just have to learn how to do those darn stencils as they seem to be the bain of my existence. Holice knows her stuff and I sure wish she would do a tut for those of us that have problems following those stencil lines that would look good and flow smoothly because I just seem to have a major brain blip on that procedure and would love to learn how to do them. :cry:
Old 03-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Power Poster

actually i took my long ruler and laid it on the inner blocks and used my plastic Hera marker to mark the lines. indentations I then sewed on. no marks to wash out. I think i used my walking foot. usually do.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:47 AM

Ok, back to this thread. I'm about to start to MQ the borders for my quilt and will be sewing straight lines as advised by some quilters. Just wondering, for a bed quilt, is it ok to MQ just straight lines on the borders? Or should I do more MQ here? I'm worried that the batting may gather over time due to extensive usage. Any advice here?
Old 04-26-2011, 01:15 AM
Power Poster

what every you decide to (try) first make a little practice piece and try it out on that before you do it to your beautiful quilt...fmq takes practice- never looks great the first time- so it is always best to do a little practicing before working on the big-real project.
once you get the hang of it you may find you love fmq-ing.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:43 PM

If I'm using a walking foot for the borders, is it good enough to just sew straight lines? Will it cause the batting to gather over time?