Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Msq wacky web template/periwinkle....

Msq wacky web template/periwinkle....

I ordered and rec'd the template after I watched the tute, and also having an antique quilt with same design - done by hand - I wanted one of my own, but faster in creation of same. When I watched the tute I did notice that when putting all four units together the tip on the edge was right there and would be lobed off when putting blocks together. When I called in the order and spoke to whomever, I mentioned that and she said yes was true, but that would only be 1/4" off of each point. In my mind I knew I did not want it that way, but thought I would try and figure it out when the template came. I arrived, and I think I have solved the puzzle of the lobed-off tips...I will do mine this way and will just pass it on in case someone else might be interested.

First, I extended, when cutting out, the templated square off tip to its "own" cut off point--meaning there is now a pointed edge there. I just took a magic marker and drew an arrow down that cut off template, simply as a "note to self".....then when I cut out the side triangles (i cut rectangles)very generously for my samples, just to make sure I was thinking right....so they were 6 1/2" wide x whatever the length is supposed to be...not in sewing area now......anyway then proceeded to sew those sides on.......going all the way to edge of background fabric at the tip and then doing the other side the same way, so that, like a flying geese there is that X where the tip is......NOW, another note to self (very large note, ask me how I now know that) when cutting this from paper pattern, sides are as paper is, BUT that bottom must be 1/4" from that X--that is the critical part, in my thinking, to give the finished star that floating look....because when you then connect these blocks those tips just "kiss" each other from block to block......

So when you turn this unit over onto the right side, the tip of the color fabric is nestled 1/4" into the background fabric.....again, just like a flying geese unit.

I have only made two units so far, and will now go back to sewing cave and do two more and put together to make sure this whole thought of mine is right......If there is something I goofed on, I will come back here and let you know.

Has anyone else here ordered the template for this top from Missouri Star? Just curious.....

If my theory is right, I may tell Jenny about my adaption to her template......

This one really needs a photo to make any sense at all.

Blog Entries
    I love this quilt pattern and am in the process if making it. I did not order the template and papers from M*QC. I did lots of internet searching and didn't find anything under the name Periwinkle but I did find that it is also called "Arkansas Snowflake". I found a free paper piecing pattern on line. I printed out the foundation papers and I put 2 block together and the points came out perfect! I was afraid of my points being cut off like in the M*QC video.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I ordered the template and the triangle papers to do the periwinkle quilt. Made up 2 blocks and realized that all of the points will be chopped off. If you use the template with the papers, the two lines that make the sides have to be redrawn to form the quarter inch seam at the bottom to form the star points, so have not decided what I am going to do as I don't want my points chopped off.

Power Poster
    I used Bonnie Hunter's tutorial on www.quiltville.com to draw my own cutting template and paper pieced on phone book pages. It is working well and I am sewing my rows together. Are some of my points not perfect, yes but it is a scrap quilt and I am trying to not obsess about it.

Blog Entries
    I watch the MSQ videos when I am sewing but don't really pay alot of attention. I will have to go back and watch the Periwinkle quilt video again. I keep going back and forth on whether or not to buy the template and papers. I want to make a spider web quilt. Will I have the same problem with it?
    Sherri

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I love this quilt pattern and am in the process if making it. I did not order the template and papers from M*QC. I did lots of internet searching and didn't find anything under the name Periwinkle but I did find that it is also called "Arkansas Snowflake". I found a free paper piecing pattern on line. I printed out the foundation papers and I put 2 block together and the points came out perfect! I was afraid of my points being cut off like in the M*QC video.
    In the mg quilt almanac 2013 there is a paper piecing pattern for same design only smaller block. I think I will try that one. But I am also curious about the one mentioned above.

You will not lop off any points. I've made Bonnie Hunter's Spider Web, which is constructed exactly the same way. The only change is that for the Spider web, you are sewing multiple strips of varying color/width onto the original piece - the one that was cut using the template. In "Periwinkle" you place the template cut piece (color) and then the chunk of white.

Think of a square, cut in half diagonally. At the point across from the longest side of the resulting triangle, lay down your "kite" piece (This is the template cut piece. If you are making any number, I would suggest either purchasing the template available from MS, or print Bonnie's off and take it to a glass shop to request that they make an acrylic template for you. At the Bonnie Hunter class I took in DE last year, the coordinator had several of these made up for those who wanted to purchase them; I think they were about $2 each.)

So you've got that kite piece the the shorter point at the tip of the triangle point. Now add your white piece, flip it back and press, then trim to the paper foundation (the foundation is called Wacky Web paper @ MS, or again, if you go to quiltville.com, you can find directions for easily making the paper foundation from doodle pads - which is what I used - or recycled copy paper, etc. ). You will have a colored section in the center, with the long tip of the kite 1/4" from the longest side of the triangle; the white pieces would be the triangles on either side of that, and filling in the other two side triangles that make up the larger triangle/

I'm sure you are familiar with the expression "A picture is worth a thousand words," lol! First, here is a link to Bonnie Hunter's Spider Web pattern on quiltville.com. If you are not familiar with Bonnie, be prepared to spend some time here and have your socks knocked off! This woman provides more information and free patterns - there are literally dozens of them - than any other single person that I am aware of! http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...pider-web.html

Here are some pitures:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    In the mg quilt almanac 2013 there is a paper piecing pattern for same design only smaller block. I think I will try that one. But I am also curious about the one mentioned above.
    I started a new thread on how I am doing this pattern here http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ml#post5890826
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Sorry, I'm not a photographer! And how to label pictures???

1. Template on charm square
    2. Cut kite on paper foundation - I do NOT glue this down. Could pin if needed, but I don't...
    3. Sew on first white corner
    4. Fold back first white corner
    5. Add second white corner
    6. Fold back second white corner
    7. Flip over; trim white to size of paper foundation (I forgot to take a picture before I peeled the paper off, so just laid another paper on top and kind of scored it where the stitching would have been).
    8. My poor attempt at a close up of the back of the point, showing 1/4" seam
    9. Quarter of the block finished - trimmed and paper removed
    10. Close up of that 1/4" seam - no lopped points! In the picture, that doesn't look like 1/4", so I went back and measured. It really is, not sure why it looks off.

So repeat that 3 more times. Sew together. Imagine the (blurry) picture below with yellow in the center (where my red is) and white where the strings are. My Spider Web is red white and blue, with gold in the center of the web.

Really quite easy, and fast, too!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Okay, now I'm wondering if the size of the MS template is too long for a charm... I don't have their product, so am not sure how big that Wacky Web Paper is. If the point is getting lopped off for those folks who are using their products, here's how I'd fix that:

When you cut your kite piece from the charm square, shorten that bottom piece. Instead of cutting off just the tip on the one side of the charm pack, increase the width of that cut until you have enough to leave a 1/4" seam on the end (so probably 1/4" shorter than it is?).

Yes, I did and was disappointed. If you fold the paper triangles in half, you will see that they are not cut correctly. If you put two paper triangles together to form a square, you can see where they are off. The center wedge template is not like the wedge template in the Quilting Quickly Summer 2013 magazine. The one in the magazine works & I made my own template for the big triangle piece. My question to myself is, "How can they sell something when they know it will be off? By a 1/4"! That's your seam allowance!" Doesn't make sense to me. I just feel that I'm out the money I spent for something I can't use.
    Live, Laugh, Love & Quilt!
    Weasie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by weasier22 View Post
    Yes, I did and was disappointed. If you fold the paper triangles in half, you will see that they are not cut correctly. If you put two paper triangles together to form a square, you can see where they are off. The center wedge template is not like the wedge template in the Quilting Quickly Summer 2013 magazine. The one in the magazine works & I made my own template for the big triangle piece. My question to myself is, "How can they sell something when they know it will be off? By a 1/4"! That's your seam allowance!" Doesn't make sense to me. I just feel that I'm out the money I spent for something I can't use.
    I totally agree! Especially after someone called them and questioned M*QC about the ends being lopped off and they acknowledge it and didn't feel it was a big deal. I really like the M*QC tutorials and patterns; I just think they dropped the ball on this one IMHO.

I totally agree! Especially after someone called them and questioned M*QC about the ends being lopped off and they acknowledge it and didn't feel it was a big deal. I really like the M*QC tutorials and patterns; I just think they dropped the ball on this one IMHO.
    Yes, when I called in my order that was what the person said.....(paraphrasing now) yes, but only lobbed off by that 1/4".....so now, with my "adjustment" of making all three points of the kite and making the background pieces a bit wider I get that extra amount of unit to eliminate the "I pointed"edges when joining blocks

I started a new thread on how I am doing this pattern here http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ml#post5890826
    Thank you for the where to go site and the excellent pics.....on my way there......

I have put this template and papers in my cart at MSQS about 4 times, and kept taking them out. Thanks for a solution to the problem of star tips. Now maybe I'll go put them back in cart!
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltNama View Post
    I ordered the template and the triangle papers to do the periwinkle quilt. Made up 2 blocks and realized that all of the points will be chopped off. If you use the template with the papers, the two lines that make the sides have to be redrawn to form the quarter inch seam at the bottom to form the star points, so have not decided what I am going to do as I don't want my points chopped off.
    Exactly what happened to me...but to "fix" it, I just extended that cut off point back to a point and sewed to it to get that extra 1/4"... I watched the spider web tute again this morning and yes there to the points get cut off by the seam but because the focal point of that unit is the side strips and they come together fine so that design works well with the template....so it's purchase, for me, was not a complete loss.....papers....I can make my own in the future....old phone books work well or tissue paper from gift boxes....whatever......

Blog Entries
    I must be doing something different because I have the papers and template from MSQC and I put four blocks together and it looks great. I'll post a picture later. I have a meeting to go to this morning.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I had ordered the papers and template a while back, made a few, then got side tracked. After reading this thread, went and got what I had done out, laid them out, and yes, all mine will have the point lopped off. Well bummer, not sure what I going to do, probably finish it up and use as a table topper. And file the template away. But thanks to auntpiggylpn and her link to the PP, will probably to that way as I have a lot of scraps for this.

So strange that it worked for some people and not for others. I wonder if they had a bad batch of the templates, or of the paper? I went back and looked at the tutorial on YouTube again, and at the very end, when Jenny holds that block up, you can sure as heck see that the point is right at the edge. What were (are) they thinking??

Love MS and am dumbfounded that they'd respond that way - or for that matter that ANY quilt shop would respond that way.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I bought the papers and templetes and now want to send them back. I want to try auntpiggylpn's way. I will have to pay for shipping and I'm already out $5 for shipping to me, so it's probably not worth it. Dang!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Unfortunately, I too ordered the papers, template, glue stick special the Missouri star quilt company had listed on their site for the periwinkle site. This is my first order and may be my last after such disappointing results. I ended up purchasing the new quilt magazine that has many of their patterns in it and the periwinkle pattern just happened to be in there. It was when I compared the wacky web template to the template outline in the magazine that I realized why my blocks were not coming out with points as many of you have mentioned. The two are not the same size nor the same exact shape! Also, when comparing the triangle papers sent to me from msqc, these were not all the same size either. I am pretty disappointed as I have most of my fabric cut for this project. Hope the msqc steps up to the plate on this one.

Lovely pattern....I just went over to youtube and watched the MSQC video..this issue is raised by one viewer over there....this is MSQC's response regarding the issue.

MissouriQuiltCo 16 hours ago

We made an adjustment in the magazine that addressed that issue and are working on a fix for our existing templates now.
    Last edited by Steady Stiching; 02-28-2013 at 06:06 AM.

Blog Entries
    OH My, I took a closer look at my four blocks and although they sewed together perfectly the tips will be cut off 1/4" when sewn to four more blocks. That doesn't bother me at all but I know to some it would. It will be simple to make the adjustment so I'll know next time. I like using the paper templates. I didn't have a problem with those at all.
    Got fabric?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast