Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Much Ado About So Little >

Much Ado About So Little

Much Ado About So Little

Old 09-29-2015, 09:11 AM

I love it! Bib blocks make delivery of a quilt to a special loved one so much faster!
Old 09-29-2015, 09:21 AM

I love that you used a block representative of his name-Clays Choice! My first thought since you mentioned "make sashing that would resemble intersections of roads" was to quilt white or yellow center lines like in a road way( you could also use some fabric paint and a foam brush to paint the strips and quilt on each side of them). Then reading through the posts I also like the idea of quilting road sign and stop sign shapes in the intersections. Maybe also quilting a few car shapes along some of the road. If you like the suggestion of the clay's blocks looking like propellers you could do some cloud shapes in some areas of the blocks. Also like the other suggestions for the alternate blocks-echo or crosshatching.
I'm sure everyone is right He will LOVE it because it is for him from you.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:30 AM

Yeah a kid's sense of color is way different from an adult's who's been told (through the media) what goes together and what doesn't. Looks fine to me, even taking into consideration my monitor versus yours. He'll love it. maybe it'll be worn out with use and love before he gets old enough to notice anything and then he'll just remember his grandma.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:31 AM

I like it! And so will you after quilting, washing it and seeing how the dryer works magic on it. Depending on your courage ( and what a great place to build that with practice ) is stitch in the ditch on the straight lined parts and fill in woth circles of various size in the white space around pinwheels, and do stippling inside the car blocks.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:50 AM

He will love it, turn out great. He will probably remember this quilt for a long time. As far as the intersections on the road, works out fine, imagine him running a little car down each and every road, you have given him a quilt and a playground for his cars.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:16 PM

Ok, my two cents!

It looks great! You are being toocritical of yourself. I really love the cars and the choice for theother blocks....perfect name choice AND it does look like propellers! Your Clay's blocks look fantastic, your points are excellent! What'snot to love about this???? I think the colors all go togetherperfectly.

For all over quilting, since you arenew to FMQ, you could combine some of the ideas here and do a stitchin the ditch on the Clay's blocks and then do a stipple on the cars. I wouldn't worry about heavily quilting...I made my first quilt formy son, hand tied it and it survived quite a few washings as it washanded down to his little brother for a while. Still has heldtogether!

Practice on a spare sandwich beforeputting your quilt through. Good luck and post some pics when you'vecompleted it!

And stop being so harsh on yourself! It looks wonderful!
Old 09-29-2015, 02:18 PM

Ok, my 11 yr old just saw it and he thinks it's awesome! So there you have it!
Old 09-30-2015, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by greaterexp View Post
My 4-year-old grandson wanted a quilt, and I wanted to make one quickly, so I chose to make really large blocks. He chose the car fabric. My drawings all looked great on paper with colored pencils, but I had to rip nearly the whole thing apart since the original blue that looked great in the store turned out to be periwinkle at home. His name is Clayton, so I thought I'd use Clay's Choice for the alternate blocks and make sashing that would resemble intersections of roads. I absolutely hate the outcome, but just don't have the energy to start again, and I figure a kid his age won't care much. But I could sure use help in coming up with a quilting strategy, since I want to try to machine quilt this, and I'm a true beginner at that. Will you help? Bless you all for your wonderful ideas!
I think your quilt is very pretty.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:10 AM

I like it and I think your grandson is going to love it. I would meander all over for the quilting.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:45 AM

I think your quilt looks great! Your grandson is going to love having his very own quilt. As for quilting it, I think I would do an all over design like a stipple.