Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
?? to much fabric >

?? to much fabric

?? to much fabric

Old 05-27-2014, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

Is there any easy way to locate senior centers/senior organizations that make quilts for charities? I would love to donate to this kind of senior center program that is non-church affiliated, but have no idea where one might be within driving distance.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

Prism99 - I just googled "senior center western wisconsin" and got lots of hits. I don't know exactly where you are, but maybe if you look at the list something will look like a possibility.
senior center western wisconsin
Old 05-27-2014, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

I would take the fabric, sort it into groups of fabrics that I can use, then find a friend or charity group that could use a donation. In other words, I would take the fabric and if I couldn't use it I would pass it on. I just finished a quilt for our DGD for Christmas and I was able to make it completely from my stash and that was a very good feeling.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
Went to see her DH after she had passed away and he said that he had spent the past 2 days burning her stash - I actually thought I was going to be sick.
WHAT!?!? He was BURNING it?? That is just plain weird. That seems like the most inefficient and difficult way to get rid of something, why not just throw it away? Is he crazy?

I'm glad you were able to rescue some of her stash!
Old 05-27-2014, 08:21 AM

I found my stash to be more manageable when I took the time to organize it so that it is folded and OUT on shelves, not away in boxes. In boxes, if I wanted to find something I had to dig. Sitting on shelves I can visually scan. For 1-5 yards, I used the comic book backer boards to wrap them like a bolt. For larger than 5 yards, I just folded. For smaller than 1 yard, I folded; but in a different way so it fits in slide out bins (that are also on the shelves).

Seeing the fabric means 1) I don't feel the need to buy more and 2) I can easily find things to use what I have!

(Oh, and some of it is washed, some is not. I can tell by the edges. I DO NOT store starched fabric. That is asking for bugs.)
Old 05-27-2014, 08:51 AM

I no longer believe in keeping a large stash. My tastes change and I don't want to keep money tied up in a lot of fabric I will probably never use.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:09 PM

I have a friend whose sister burned a lot of her mother's fabric so she couldn't get it. Maybe the husband resented his wife's stash.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:59 PM

I think there are great things to do with your fabric that will benefit others. I also need to go through mine and pare it down some. I don't know of any place around here to donate it to so I'm going to try and make some donation quilts to use it. I always seem to be lacking something when I get ready to make a quilt no matter how much I have.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:06 PM

A smal boy saw a lady doing the measuring from nose out to end of arm and said" I wana smell".
Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
Prism,

measure gradually. Take 10 - 15 pieces per night, measure by grasping one end of the fabric in one hand, hold it even with your nose, Then loosely grab the rest of the fabric and slide it through your other hand until you can't any further.

That's roughly a yard. Then transfer the fabric from the extended hand to the other hand and repeat as many times as necessary until you reach the other end of the fabric. This method isn't 100% accurate, but it is close enough for storing it. When you actually want to use it, then measure accurately. Luckily, I have been pleasantly surprised at how close to the actual measurement I come!

If you have thin scraps or selvages, tie each measured piece in one of them, then label them. I take two address labels, put them on the tie strip glue side to glue side with the tie strip in between, then write the length and width. I only put width on the label if the fabric is less than 40" wide.

I started out using comic book boards, but they take up more room and cost more. When I have a stack of measured fabric, I put it on a shelf. Between each stack is a comic book board. That keeps the fabrics from sliding from one stack to another.

Bottom line is that this method is far easier than actually measuring each piece of fabric with a ruler. Plus, I can do it while watching TV.

Now it's easy for me to see what's in my stash, audition it for a project and then return the un-selected fabric to the shelf.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by localgirl1 View Post
Where are you located? Are you interested in donating some of the fabric? I teach handicap seniors (2) at our 50+ senior center in Florida. There are a couple more seniors that is interested in learning to quilt/sew but I can only supply so much fabric to them. Plus the quilt club I'm in, we make comfort quilts for all ages The last community service project we did was 35 baby comfort quilts for our police cars to give to children on their violent domestic calls. We recently received some Christmas fabrics so we are thinking of making apron-bib for handicapped seniors in a care home. Every year we also make a couple of fund raising quilts to help the senior center, church, etc. Anyway, let me know. If you are in Florida I know shipping is expensive but we would be interested in an donations. Thank you.
I recently moved my sewing room from one room to another. I gave away bags and bags of fabric to two friends who volunteer at senior centers - teaching quilting. I wrapped the fabric I kept on comic book cardboards. My new room is neat and well organized - was well worth all the time it took and I no longer feel totally overwhelmed by a stash that was to large for me to manage.