Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mulitple quilts from the same fabric >

Mulitple quilts from the same fabric

Mulitple quilts from the same fabric

Old 01-21-2019, 07:46 AM

Default Mulitple quilts from the same fabric

When I buy fabric, I usually buy it on sale, or because I find a family of coordinated fabric I just can't live without. Usually the same fabric pattern in a rainbow of colors. I don't have a quilt in mind when I purchase the fabric. When I am ready to start a quilt, I lay my fabric out on the bed, and decide what works for the quilt. Because of this "style", I usually buy at least 3 yards of each fabric. I also have a deal with myself that I cannot buy more fabric than will fit in my under the bed plastic bins. I am not a fan of scrappy quilts. So.... all that said, that means that I use the same coordinated fabrics to make multiple quilts. For a couple of fabric lines (mini pearl bracelets, swirly scrolls) that I have in about 10 colors, I have made 2 or 3 queen quilts and maybe a throw or wall hanging from the same fabric.

Am I alone in this approach? What do you think of using the same fabric on multiple quilts? Not really an issue or question for me. Just curious as to other's approach, and thoughts. I love the discussions on techniques, styles, and design processes. I always learn something.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:12 AM

We each have our own style! I am very scrappy, but I think that is perfectly fine for you! (as long as you aren't gifting 3 quilts of the same fabric to the same person lol -- but even then, I bet they would have to study it to even see it!)
Old 01-21-2019, 08:17 AM

I wish I had that kind of control. My fabric is out of control, I am making a deal with myself not to buy any more until I use up some. I often will buy with no pattern in mind, I have also done the reverse and never made the quilt.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:33 AM

I used to buy what I needed for the project I had in mind then ‘disposed’ of the scraps I had left.
Then I joined this forum ... now I dare not throw anything away and have had to make a couple of scrappy items to use them up!
Old 01-21-2019, 08:47 AM

That's an interesting approach, TAMARATJO. Whatever works for you!

A few years ago my LQS closed, and since then, I only buy fabric on line. I don't think I would have bought much of the fabric I have, had I been seeing it in person, as quite a bit of it ends up looking different in person than it does on line. So my stash consists of the fabric I've bought that I didn't use for the original intended purpose. Sometimes I feel as though I can't live without a certain fabric or fabric line, but then eventually realize that I could have lived without it, LOL.

The only time I buy as much as three yards is if I see the fabric as a potential border. Sometimes I'll buy 1/3 yd. or FQ of fabric just because I like it, but I think the majority of my purchases are to fill a role in a planned quilt. I often plan a quilt around a focus fabric, rather than coming up with my own color ideas. I've never worked without a pattern. I'm kind of agog at people who make up their own patterns.

Last edited by joe'smom; 01-21-2019 at 08:49 AM. Reason: correction
Old 01-21-2019, 08:52 AM

When we travel I try to buy colour families so I have fabric to make a quilt that reminds me of the trip. in 2012 I collected blacks/whites/greens and made three quilts with the fabrics.... I usually only buy a 1 meter or 1/2 meter chunk though. I think the quilts all look totally different as I have used the fabrics in different amounts in each quilt. [ATTACH=CONFIG]607160[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]607161[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]607162[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails apple-core-finished-march-2013001-small-.jpg   2013-done002_edited-small-.jpg   7th-block002_edited-small-.jpg  
Old 01-21-2019, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

No but I love scrappy quilts. I wish I could be as good as you by limitting my stash to bins under the bed. I knew a quilter that limited her stash to the night stand in the spare bedroom. I don't think she quilts any more. Not sure if one had to do with the other but sure made for a cleaner house and more money in the pocket saved from not buying stash because something was a good deal.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

I'm in a different camp. When I use fabric for a quilt by the time I'm finished I'm tired of the fabric! That's why I give most of my scraps away. I hate scraps, although I do like scrappy quilts. I just don't seem to make many. I don't buy as much yardage as I used to. Whatever works for you or me is the best way
Old 01-21-2019, 10:36 AM

If I make an impulse buy, it's usually FQs or remnants. Rarely is it yardage, unless the fabric Really calls to me. I came across a line that yelled to me, so I bought yardage in every color the store had. I've completely used all but one color & I enjoyed working with it for every project it's been in. Each project looks very different & having the same fabrics in them isn't prominent. There are some fabrics I've wished I had more of but I don't usually let myself go buy more.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:41 AM

I always do, and there's a sentimentality to it, since mine have all been for family members. The "outtakes" - leftover fabrics from a quilt or fabrics bought for it that didn't make the cut - reappear in quilts for someone else, so they're all connected in some way. It's fun to spot them, too.

I am currently making two different throws out of 30s repros in the same fabrics, and there may be a third, since I have so much of the color group. It will be interesting to see how they look as a group. Hopefully, interesting instead of too matchy.

I'm not sure I would be able to abide by the under-bed bins, though. I'd find some way to compress them, like a space bag, or buy risers for the bed and make it taller.

hugs,
Charlotte