Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Multiple Projects >

Multiple Projects

Multiple Projects

Old 01-28-2012, 05:12 AM

I have lots of UFO"S but eventually i will get them done I HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2012, 05:50 AM

I find that changing what I am working on is a good thing. I had planned on a lap quilt but when I saw it, I didn't like the front. So, overnight I came up with a different idea for it and now I want to work on it again. I am going to turn it into puppy quilts for our local shelter.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:14 AM

I'm at the age now where I do have to keep a list of the things I want to finish in 2012 and a deadline (if there is one). I keep the projects together in jumbo plastic bags so that I am not hunting for all the pieces when I get ready to work on a particular project. I am also retired and absolutely LOVE it. I am very busy, but it is with things I want to do, not what I have to do. Life is good!
Old 01-28-2012, 06:47 AM

I will designate certain blocks of sewing for each project. If I know I am only going to have a shorter stint (two young kids at home means sewing time is scarce and often interrupted) then I may work on a project that is more easily interrupted. If I have longer stretches of time (and hubby has eyes on the wee ones) I bust out my never-ending FMQ project or any other project that requires work without interruption or will be more labor-intensive. LOL! If you are retired, I am guessing you get to determine your sewing hours without much interference, so perhaps just designating a block of time for each project? Or even a specific day - say Monday you work on rag quilts, Tuesday something else, etc.

I am sure you will get lots of good suggestions here - good luck!
Old 01-28-2012, 06:56 AM

One thing I do is have a see-thru box for each project so that I can keep all the pieces of each together and not get them mixed up. Works great for me.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:16 AM

I'm totally an ADD quilter, but it keeps life interesting and I do finally get most of my projects done. One thing that helps me is that I save those plastic zipper bags that sheets and blankets come in. If you put everything related to a certain project neatly in a see thru bag, you at least feel some sense of organization and it makes it easier to go back to. Also, it helps to sandwich in some of those less appealing projects between ones you really are excited about.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:18 AM

There appear to be 2 kinds of quilters: those who work on 1 project at a time and those work work on many. I'm usually working on only 1 at a time. I find that when I start a 2nd before I finish the 1st, the 1st disappears into Never Never land, and I find it months or even years later, because I have lost all interest in finishing it. And then the guilt begins...
Old 01-28-2012, 07:28 AM

I'm retired too, and have way too many UFOs. When I need to change what I'm working on, I neatly fold and put out of sight. Unfinished tops hang on one side of the closet, blocks go in the UFO drawer of the dresser that's in the closet. Fabrics for projects not started are folded and together in the future projects drawer. I still usually end up with a couple of things in my workspace that I'm actually working on. Right now I have a quilt panel and blocks on my design wall, a wall hanging needing quilted next to my DSM, an embroidery panel next to the embroidery machine, and new plans/designs next to the computer. I couldn't handle any more being out. I don't get anything done if my space is too cluttered.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:37 AM

When I have multiple projects going at the same time I try to tie all the pieces of each one together and put them in a box or tote near my sewing desk. I also try to put other 'stuff' away or at least out of my sight so I don't get distracted and begin another project. It works pretty good but I have to admit there are a few projects that have been in the box for quite some time because something new always comes up and takes precedence. May in Jersey
Old 01-28-2012, 07:53 AM

I retired 4 years ago and my sewing projects live in clean pizza boxes. I have the boxes labeled and when I get bored working on one, I'll close it with all the fabrics and go to another one. When one project gets done, I take the label off and that box is ready for a new project.