Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Murphy's Law

Unhappy Murphy's Law

I had a Viking +1 for 18 years and never had it in than for cleaning and check up. Last August DH bought me the Janome 6600 and I love it.

Last week I said to DH I am not using the Viking it is taking up room where I could put more fabric so I sold it.

Yesterday I was sewing and I got an error code on my Janome. I called my serviceman and after he called Janome figured out I had blown a fuse. Of course I live in a small town and he didn't have any fuses. They won't be in until the first of next week.

I am working on a quilt for Relay for Life that needs to be done in June. Could this happen at a worse time?

I can't believe how much I miss a sewing machine.

Sounds like the ghost of the Viking stayed when the machine went.
    Evil little critters.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I now have 4 sewing machines - one is a Singer that doesn't work right now, an old Kenmore which is a workhorse, a newer Singer Featherweight which is what I'm using now and the new Janome mini which will go with me in the motorhome. I think everyone needs a working machine to fall back on if you can afford to keep them.

Blog Entries
    I always keep a spare machine in the wings for just this reason. I know a machine will break just when I'm adding binding to project I need for the next day. sorry for the pickle you're in.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I think the Viking is upset with you for changing brands, you may be haunted now. Hope everything works out. I have a really old Viking D1, now a new Viking Emerald (just in case), however, the D1 has never had a problem and a FW for classes. I see a 2nd backup machine in your future.

Oh , do get back -up machine. I would be restless and pacing without my machine .

If I lived closer to you, I'd loan you one of mine...sorry!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

What a bummer! That's why I have several machines, BUT I love my Janome 1600P the bestest. I have it on my HandiQuilter frame now so I can finish the 6-7 tops I have done. Since I can't stand at the HQ for long periods, I want a 2nd machine to piece with. I have a cheapy Brother from WalMart - don't like the way it sews and it won't wind the bobbin any more. I have an older Viking which I hoped would be my 2nd piecing machine, but it just does not want to sew straight. Works great for decorative stitching when I need that. Then I have an older White that I am still trying to figure out. But whether I love the extras or not, it does give me a backup so I don't go into withdrawal. LOL!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    yep..go buy you that new small Janome for a backup! It will fit under the bed!

Blog Entries
    Is there ever a good time for your sewing machine to be down? Never, ever. Get a little Brother to keep as a spare. I did.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Always good to have a backup machine.

Jim
    I know exactly how you feel about being without a machine you enjoy piecing on. Although I have more than enough machines to sew with...we all have our favorites...I cleaned and oiled mine...didnt touch or change anything...but it wouldnt work I would check it everyday to see if I had done something wrong to it and came to the conclusion that it was just finished...kaput...dead...So off I went and bought a newer version of the same machine...sewed on it for hours on Sunday. Monday my wife asked if I would wind bobbins for her to use on the long arm...I pulled the old machine out to wind them since the bobbin winder still worked...just not the electronics. In between winding I thought I am gonna try to see if it will sew...Low and behold it did....lol just my luck after buying another new machine...NOW I am determined to keep it going so I never am in a situation without my favorite machine...even though we have 7 others including the featherweight that I got for Christmas
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

Blog Entries
    I have the Janome 6600 as well, and have had to replace the fuses twice in the past six months. My machine however is 7 yrs young. The last time I sent it in for the fuse to be changed, I asked the serviceman to try and figure out why it kept blowing fuses. When I got it back, he said it was the automatic thread cutter jammimg because apparently I wasn't waiting for the machine to stop before I hit the cutter button. Now it works fine, I just make sure I slow down alittle (LOL). Anyway, since your machine is less than a year old, I would be a little concerned as to why you are getting the ERROR codes and blowing fuses. I know it is a pain not to have a backup, but, you need to know what is the cause for the fuse blowing. Ask your service guy to really check out your machine to see if it is out of whack. Warranty should cover any expenses at this point. Good Luck and I hope you get your machine back soon.
    Quilting is my PASSION not my pass time.
    If Your DREAMS don"t Scare You...Then They Are NOT Big Enough!!!Dare to DREAM!

www.quilterella.ca

I love all my sewing machines and it would be hard for me to let any of them go. Each one has its own best feature. Love the New Home 8000 for the applique stitch, better than on my more expensive ones. My feather weight for sure fire 1/4 inch seams and never fails and I can service that one and the 301 (also have the tables that go with them), then there is the treadle if the electric goes off and the embroidery ones plus the Juki with the long bed. Most of my friends only have one machine and like to borrow one of mine when theirs is in the shop. Oh, and my grand daughter wants one of the "magic machines"...embroidery one but can't let it go just yet. Have a Piecefull day.

My sympathies! Having my only machine down (a 35-year old Kenmore) made me go out to look for a backup machine. I wanted another Kenmore so that my accessories would be interchangeable and ended up finding a nice lightweight Kenmore at an estate sale for only $65. When that one went down a couple of weeks ago (loss of tension) and I took it to my local sewing machine repair guy, he informed me that the newer Kenmores are made by Janome. Having a backup machine has saved me more than once and I recommend it highly. I'm even considering getting a third machine just in case.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    You've had some good advice (and sympathy). Have you asked your dealer for a loaner machine? If your machine is still on warranty, then you have a good case to ask for one. Otherwise, I'd go get a cheapie from Walmart or so to be a backup for when Janome is in the spa. Good luck with your problem, I hope it's solved soon.
    I used to be "hot", now it's just "hot flashes!"

The circut boards went out in my machine last Thanksgiving. Thank goodness it was still under warranty. When christmas had come and gone and I still had not gotten it back, I went and bought a Janome 3050DC. I am so glad I did, because they ended up having my machine for 4 months. I am in my sewing room everyday, I can not imagine not being able to sew for 4 months!!!

Thanks for all the advise. I called a LQS that sells Janome and the lady that does the service said she had a fuse at home and if I brought it in today she would fix it tonight at no charge. I bought the machine at another dealer that is 50 miles away because he gave me such a good price, but he bought the business about a year ago and doesn't seem to know much about service. The gentleman that owned it before does his service. My question is if I take it to the local dealer will it void my warranty? I thought I would get her a gift certificate of some kind. She has been so nice she gave me her home phone number and I have called her before with questions. Sometimes service is more important than price. I wish I had bought it from her to start. Maybe I can talk DH into the new Horizon if I take it in to her. Any answers on warranty would be appreciated.

Get a back up, I have 5. Even sew by hand when necessary.

I have several nice older machines that I have for back ups to my Vikings. I also quilt in my basement and have a machine in my computer/ extra bedroom for quick repairs or need. Comes in handy when I want to piece for short periods of time. Good luck and hope you get back to your quilt.

QUILTERS always have a backup plan

Blog Entries
    I'm down to one machine too. But not for long! I'm going shopping for a new one soon! It is just having the water shut off. You don't miss it, til it aint there!
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

Quote Originally Posted by skowron5 View Post
    I had a Viking +1 for 18 years and never had it in than for cleaning and check up. Last August DH bought me the Janome 6600 and I love it.

Last week I said to DH I am not using the Viking it is taking up room where I could put more fabric so I sold it.

Yesterday I was sewing and I got an error code on my Janome. I called my serviceman and after he called Janome figured out I had blown a fuse. Of course I live in a small town and he didn't have any fuses. They won't be in until the first of next week.

I am working on a quilt for Relay for Life that needs to be done in June. Could this happen at a worse time?

I can't believe how much I miss a sewing machine.
    Sorry that this happened to you at this time but you may want to have your serviceman order more than one. Also make sure that you are plugged into a serge protector. It will less likely for you to blow a fuse if you are on a serge protector.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    Great excuse to get another machine I think.... My first machine was a Kenmore that I still have and use when I am having issues with my Brother which I love as well.
    Myrna

They say money does not buy happiness, but it buys fabric & fabric makes me happy!!

Always good to have a spare! Sorry your newbie had trouble.
    Linda

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast