Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Murphy's Law

That's the way it goes. The minute you get rid of something, you need it!

And here I have been feeling guilty because I kept my old machine. No longer!

Always a good idea to have a spare. I just sold 3 machines and still have a couple of spares and a new one on its way! A person can't have too many machines!
    Lorraine

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    I just got back all my machines (3 sewing and one serger) last month and I have been quilting and sewing like crazy- I am trying to get all of the Christmas presents done. Over the summer I make one or two extra quilts for baby shower gifts, I know I was so lost without all my machines, so all I could do was collect patterns , buy material and all the notions that go with . Put everything together (cut it out, put zippers with patterns etc. LOL) and now I have been sewing my heart out, but I must say I really missed my machines; but I am so glad they are ALL running now.
    When one went down, the next one went down and well you get the point !LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

I'd just call the dealer you bought the machine from and let him know you were able to find the fuse and ask it would void the warrenty to have it put on by your friend. Or, ask your friend, since she should know. If she is also a dealer, it shouldn't be a problem as long as it is the right part.

Blog Entries
    Sod's Law. Sorry for your dilemma.

I always have a back-up, my little viking fills in when my Phaff has problems. I even have 2 Husky White Sergers. All my machines are service yearly, or before a big event. From Day one of purchase, my machines were serviced yearly, at the time I had ONE little Viking (1985 and in my 20's), while I was working on 5 Bridesmaid and 1 flower girl, low and behold we broke down. I had to borrow my moms' machine to finish, and I made a vow that one day I would always have a backup. I too live in a small town and the closest "repair" shop for machines is 90 or 246 miles away. After I was paid for the dresses, I bought my serger and wondered what the world was thinking about all those ruffles and not having one. Anyway.........If you can afford it, check out Ebay, second hand stores the classfieds and get yourself a backup. I have bought 2 new machines for daughters and 2 used sergers for self and a daughter, a nd have had no problems with ebay.

Good luck on getting your quilt done.
    "We can never have too much fabric" and "May the Fabric Fairy always keep your stash filled".

Robinlee

If your friend (who could have sold you the machine) is a certified dealer/servicer, I would think it would not void the warranty.
    jean

Blog Entries
    I won't be without a back up machine no more then I won't be without a second vehicle available to me.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by kathdavis View Post
    Is there ever a good time for your sewing machine to be down? Never, ever. Get a little Brother to keep as a spare. I did.
    Me, too. I have a Pfaff sewing machine, a Brother PE770 embroidery machine - AND - a Brother SE350 that does both for backup, and it is small enough to take to classes. :-)

Marysewfun
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

I know what you mean, I hate bringing mine in for servicing! But last time, I did organize my fabric while it was gone, but I couldn't wait to get it back!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    Aha, I've just found my reason for having multiple machines!!! Knew there had to be a reason other than I wanted each of them!!

You will be happier if you have a backup machine. it doesn't matter the brand or the type. Just have another machine in working order when one decides to take a nap.
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

Yikes, that seems to always happen. Get down to one machine and a deadline something will go wrong. I kept my Brother PC 6000 for a back up when I bought my Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0. My old Brother has come in really handy, especially when the Pfaff did not want to FMQ. So I would recommend getting an inexpensive backup machine.

Blog Entries
    Oh my, it is murphy's law - I am so sorry. Does anyone you know have a machine sitting around? I hope you get through the withdrawal.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

I would really miss it! Hope you get your quilt done.
    Love 4 stchen

Hubby was putting some ice fishing equipment away today and he came in the house with a sewing machine. It is a JC Penny my MIL gave me years ago and I forgot all about it. It's not the greatest but it sews. Still no word on when my Janome will be ready.

I certainly agree with this...I hauled out my Memory Craft 6000 a few days ago to do some alphabet lettering because I'm not totally familiar with my Pfaff system...yet. If there had been a Janome dealer in my area, I would've purchased one...they are still the best..for me, anyway!
    When someone mentions quilting, I go to pieces!

Even nearly 30 years ago, my old Kenmore bobbins fit my New Home (now Janome) Memory Craft 6000. both machines are workhorses, although I no longer have the Kenmore. I do have other machines as backup, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
    My sympathies! Having my only machine down (a 35-year old Kenmore) made me go out to look for a backup machine. I wanted another Kenmore so that my accessories would be interchangeable and ended up finding a nice lightweight Kenmore at an estate sale for only $65. When that one went down a couple of weeks ago (loss of tension) and I took it to my local sewing machine repair guy, he informed me that the newer Kenmores are made by Janome. Having a backup machine has saved me more than once and I recommend it highly. I'm even considering getting a third machine just in case.
    When someone mentions quilting, I go to pieces!

Still don't have my machine back. It was the motherboard. The service person ordered it, but was going away for a few days. It is supposed to be done Monday. I can't wait.

Update. Janome sent the wrong motherboard so now it is going to be at least another week. I am dealing with my MIL machine, but miss my machine. I sure hope when I get it back there are no more problems.

Blog Entries
    I have had to rely on my backup machines more than once and very glad I had them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2