Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Muslin as backing on table runners - Tacky or OK? >

Muslin as backing on table runners - Tacky or OK?

Muslin as backing on table runners - Tacky or OK?

Old 04-23-2018, 06:52 AM

If you are planning to also make them Christmas runners, maybe consider making them reversible? I won star blocks in Xmas colours in a swap.... none the same size, so made them into placemats and put Fall fabrics on the back, so they are used for two different times of the year.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:32 AM

I use muslin for backing often and as background on the quilt top. There are varying grades as others have remarked.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:07 AM

I recently donated a tablerunner for a charity craft show. I put patterned fabric on the back that coordinated with the top. The woman who bought the runner was thrilled that she had a "reversible" runner and thanked me profusely!
Old 04-23-2018, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

I use muslin in my piecing, borders and backing. I haven't prewashed. Don't know if it is high quality. I got a deal on a bolt. But, I haven't had any shrinkage surprises yet.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:47 AM

A couple of years ago when I was making a BOM, I got to the point where I just wanted to finish the thing and not spend too much more money on it. I decided to back it with a premium muslin and I really liked how it turned out. Remember, do want YOU want-resist the quilt police :-)
Old 04-23-2018, 12:08 PM

Buy some good muslin, not the thin stuff, some comes 120" wide, 96" and 48", get extra yardage because it does shrink, I wash it before using. AND some people who cut your material cut crooked, I was short 6" at JoAnns one time. Muslin comes in different shades, tannish and white.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:13 PM

Default Thanks, everyone

Thanks for the replies! I have some good (heavy) muslin that was given to me and I have washed it. I'm old enough to remember that you always wash everything you sew with! And, still have the habit. I thought about making "reversible" table runners but the designs would be so different that I don't think the quilting would work for both sides.

Anyway, I still have to finish the tops so will continue to think on the backing - want to have everything done by mid-May. Thanks again.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:22 AM

Years ago I would have used muslin for my backings......fast forward to today...I prefer color. Doesn't matter is it's a quilt, wall hanging, or table runner.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:05 AM

Default Table runner

Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
I just can't bring myself to use 'good' fabric as a backing for something that would be seen only when laying it down. Is using muslin tacky, a cop-out? Should I bite the bullet and use 'good' fabric? I don't mind pieced backings on quilts, they can be interesting and even fun. But, in my mind, I'd rather see a solid backing on a small quilt than pieces of whatever.

Specifically, I'm making red-white-blue table runners for my daughters-in-law and will make Xmas ones next.
I use flannel on the back of my table runners. I wash the flannel in hot water before I use it. The flannel is soft, won't scratch the table and stays in place. Plus it doesn't cost as much as good fabric. But, you need to buy at least 1/4 to 1/2 yds more than you need for shrinkage.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

I choose the backing as carefully as I do the fabric for the top. I love to look at a back of the quilt or project and it be oh my isn't the backing beautiful and all it takes is pretty fabric to have a great backing.