Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Muslin

I use muslin a lot for backing. I usually tye die it to match the color of the quilt. It comes out different every time and that is what I like.

I don't use it for backing and not in tops either, but I like to keep it on hand. I do use it for hanging sleeves, and if a look calls for it. And I use if for redwork.

Quote Originally Posted by thismomquilts
    I love using muslin on the backs of anything I make - I hand quilt and love to see it - it shows up so well on muslin. Never thought of dyeing it to match the front - good idea!!:)
    I, too, hand quilt and use muslin on the back. I like a plain color back so the quilting design shows well. Also, muslin is easy to hand quilt.

I have used muslin for anything to do with quilting with good results. It shrinks alot when washed and dried so I spray it with water first and iron it hot and it shrinks quite a bit. This would be a problem when used with other fabrics in patchwork. I use it because it is cheap and I can match colors easier.
    Carol J.

Quote Originally Posted by thismomquilts
    I love using muslin on the backs of anything I make - I hand quilt and love to see it - it shows up so well on muslin. Never thought of dyeing it to match the front - good idea!!:)
    I too hand quilt and love the way all the stitches show up on muslin. I am working on a quilt that has a solid color backing that goes with the front. With all the work that goes into hand quilting- I want every stitch to show!

so tell me how you go about dying the muslin. i haven't been using it at all but am always looking for another step in the creative process.

my only experience with hand dying is when my sister dyed her parchute raspberry in our bathtub. the power from the dye got caught up in the air and there was a fine raspberry film on everything! mom was none to happy.

I sometimes use Kona muslim if I want a white backing, for wall hangings. It is very tightly woven, and wonderful to use. I find it at (sigh) Joanns. It's wide, 108" i think, about $12.99 a yard but I use my 40% coupon if I am buying it, doesn't make it hurt too much.

machine wash it first, and try using the liquid dyes. They won't get the dust into the air.

I use muslin on some of my quilts, I too like the look of the stitches on the back

Quote Originally Posted by Surfergirl
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltMania
    I use muslin all the time for backs of quilts. It feels so soft after it has been washed. It is also inexpensive. I also use muslin for backgrounds for tops. Since I got so much fabric when I was in Georgia I will probably use a lot of that yardage for backs and hold off on muslin for a while.
    Is there a good place in Georgia to buy fabric? I will be visiting my son there soon. I'm new at quilting and have never used muslin. I use a coordinating fabric for the back.
    I only went to one quilt shop when I was in Georgia. Here's the info: Dragonfly Quilt Shop, 1260 Mars Hill Road Suite 103, Watkinsville, Georgia 30677 www.dragonflyquiltshop.com

Blog Entries
    Please show us a larger picture of that heart avatar you have. What is this? It is very striking.

Cypress, Texas by the way of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    AS a hand quilter, muslin is my back of choice. I want to see the quilting on the back and I love the cream on cream look. It all comes down to your personal preference.

I've used both. I made a Dear Jane quilt and used muslin as the background on the front and also as the scalloped borders and on the back. It is hand quilted and the back stitches really show up.

I never use muslin. I use tone on tone when piecing a block and need a background fabric. I use a coordinating cotton fabric for the backing.

Most of my wall hangings have muslin backing... I have a hard time putting expensive fabric on the back of something you are not going to see... I also use it in post card making..

I don't use muslin for backings or in any way in an actual quilt. I use it for trying new techniques (surface design mostly, but also piecing), making sample blocks, testing new threads and tension settings, proofing new stamps, that kind of thing. It's the textile equivalent of newsprint for me....scratch paper. :D

I've always had a hard time finding light colored fabric to use for backgrounds in my quilt blocks, so I use muslin. Works great for me. I used it in the very first quilt I made. It gets a lot of use and a lot of washing and it holds up just fine. I love it. Never have used it for a backing, but will consider it in the future. Maybe even dye it. I've thought about it before, just never have.

So many of you have said you don't use it: WHY? Any particular reason? I'm anxious to hear this. I thought muslin was a good fabric. As long as you don't get the really inexpensive quality stuff. I keep bolts of muslin on hand for many different reasons.

I also have a hard time finding light-colored fabric suitable for backgrounds...maybe muslin would be a good choice for that.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    For the backing, only colored muslin of a good quality. I like the look of unbleached muslin for applique background. It gives a block that traditional use-up-what-you-got look. Well worn, I guess.

When I did all hand quilting I used muslin on everything. Now I use a coordinating fabric on the back of Lap Quilts and bed spreads, but I still use muslin on wall hanging, table topper, things you don't really see the back.

Blog Entries
    I am somewhat new to quilting and I found out that all muslin is not created equal. I bought a few yards and liked it so when Joann's had a bolt sale, I bought one bleached and one non bleached. I washed and dried it to get the shrinkage over with and the quality is not what I expected. That being said, I went ahead and used it for the back of several quilts and I have to agree that it is soft and snuggy and I really like it. I wouldn't use it for much of anything else except foundation piecing but I am happy with it.

i bought a fabric called super muslin from Walmart and i really like working with it. It is smooth and holds it's shape very well and my free motion quilting makes some great patterns when i use muslin. The only thing i notice is that because it is a little stiff, i'm not sure how cuddly it is. I made sure i didn't do too much quilting on it or it would be stiffer still. I know it will hold up through time tho...it is very strong.

I stopped using muslin when I started quilting my own stuff. It shows all the starts and stops not to mention any other glitches that you might have. Now I use backing that have lots of design kind of like camoflage!

Blog Entries
    i love tea dyed muslin. i use it on the backs of quilts. usually buy the 90 wide.

i use matching fabrics for the backs of baby quilts.

i have used bleached muslin in blocks of quilts..instead of white.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast