Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Muslin

I tend to use muslin in most cases - a good quality muslin. I find it easy to work with. For doll quilts or small projects, I will use a coordinating fabric. All a matter of choice.

as a backing material, background material

There are a lot of different grades of Muslin, the last I bought was from Hobby Lobby, 45" wide, bought the whole bolt,40% off, use it for everything. I've seen the wider width there but didn't seem as good weight. There is some that is not worth taking home, just have to look and feel. I, also use matching fabric as well, but Muslin seems comforting to me, and no way would it wear out any sooner than regular fabric.

Mae

I like using coordinating prints. as far as the cost, I always use my 40% off coupons from Joanns.

It depends on the item I am making, but I try to use a very good quality muslin regardless.

I use muslin for backing a lot. I be sure that I buy good quality muslin. After all who sees the back of a quilt.

I have used muslin. I also have used pretty sheets for the backing. I use unbleached muslin sometimes, if I am wanting the quilt to look older. Just all depends on what type of quilt you are making.

Quote Originally Posted by maryb119
    I don't use muslin on the back. I like color on the back so I use a coordinating fabric.
    I've been paying more attention to what I back my tablerunners with. I like to make them reversible so I end up with two for the price of one. Sometimes I end up liking the back more than the front.

Yes for wallhangings and chair covers. Generally prefer to double side my quilts. Detailing of the quilting for one side means the other side has to be forgiving of the design.

Power Poster
    I used to use muslin but now I sometimes uses other fabric and sometimes quilters flannel for warmth.

Quote Originally Posted by thismomquilts
    I love using muslin on the backs of anything I make - I hand quilt and love to see it - it shows up so well on muslin. Never thought of dyeing it to match the front - good idea!!:)
    I generally use muslin for backs and for piecing on the front when it calls to me. Muslin is a seriously strong fabric - there shouldn't be any worries about it's ability to stand the test of time. Muslin is simply the fabric that prints are set upon. Anyone who wants to turn up their nose at this is welcome to - But I won't be buying 6 yards of fabric to match a print on the back, rather than buying 2 1/2 yards of 90 - 108 or 120" wide to finish something that the down side will always be down on. Let's use these things anyway! And I agree, as a handquilter, that I love the satisfaction of seeing all those even stitches showing up so well on the back!

I use coordinating fabric for my backing. It's just what I like.

I always use some patterned piece that coordinates with the front. But, I never considered muslin for the back - So my question is - Can you use muslin on the back of a show quilt? Or would that be for utilitarian purposes only?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thank you all for the information. God bless. Penny

Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    I usually try to buy a good quality muslin and hand dye it to coordinate with the top, how often is the back really displayed?
    Any dying hints? I will check to see if there is a tutorial on dying muslin also.

I don't know about show quilts, but personally I don't see why you couldn't use it. It's fabric and it's 100% cotton. If you don't like it the plain way, you could always dye it, tea or coffee stain it. Slather it around in a bucket of blackberries or blueberries. I bet that would be pretty. Doesn't all fabric start out as muslin before it's dyed anyway??? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by iluvquilts
    Do you use Muslin normally as a backing material, background material or try not to use it all?

When I started quilting - less than a year ago - I thought Muslin was the backing of choice - now I am not so sure.

I have been using a coordinating backing material although it is much more expensive than muslin.

Thoughts???

Cindy
    I often hear people talk about getting a less expensive fabric for a backing. Think about it - which side of the quilt will get the most wear, if you actually use it - the BACK! Choose just as good quality for the back as for the front. If you choose interesting fabric, or piece fat quarters, it's almost like having 2 quilts for the work of one. I do use less expensive, or unmatching fabric is it's intended to be a wall hanging, becasue no one sees it, and the wear on it is less.

I want the back of my quilts to be as beautiful as the front, last as long,& be completely reversible. That's why I always use the same quality in the back as in the front..I only use muslin for practicing. I love the Kona solids even for my background in my hand applique projects. After all that work, who wants to use substandard musln unless you reaaly can't afford anything else. I would rather have one nice good quality quilt, than five that will fall apart after a few years!!!

Kona makes an excellent quality muslin. Not the old muslin that we are use to. Really makes up beautifully and shows off the quilting on the back.

My Mom always used muslin for the backs and they hold up very well, just like the front. And her hand quilting is beautiful! I think most people have a favorite side of a quilt and use that rather than turning it over to use both sides. jmho

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fancifrock
    Kona makes an excellent quality muslin. Not the old muslin that we are use to. Really makes up beautifully and shows off the quilting on the back.
    speaking of Kona muslin..do you fond after you wash it, it is dang near impossible to get the wrinkles out? i did. i loved the feel, the quality, and the price. but i had a heck of a time pressing it..

I have not had a problem with the wrinkles. If you haven't tried it, try washing in cold water and taking Kona out of the dryer just before it is completely dry. I hang it over the shower until it is completely dry - about an hour or so.

Hi Cindy,
    I like the look of a coordinating fabric for my backs. Plus I've spent a small fortune on the top in money and time, so I prefer the "rich" look of fabric backing.

I have a sister in law who hand quilts. She is meticulous and works for years on quilts which are beautiful when completed---until you look at the back and see the plain muslin.

Not for me.

I use muslin (kona cotton 200 thread count) - usually white for my backing on quilts -- it gives me the appearance I want with my quilts -- I usually do not wash fabric before quilting it and want it to have that old look and the Kona cotton muslin does that...Have had not problem with it and it feels great before and after it is washed.... And it holds up really well and I just love it.... Sometimes you can see the quilting on the front of the quilt and the back is a better picture of the quilting.

Blog Entries
    I've wondered about this for a long time: What is the difference between bleached and unbleached muslin?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast